Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself to be somewhat of a sports nerd and a clothing nerd....So naturally i have strong opinions on team uniforms. Here is my best and worst sports uniforms list:

Best:

Cleveland Browns (white jersey and pants)- Being a lifelong Browns fan, I'm a little biased. I remember the good old days of the late '80s when they wore their white uniforms at home. Unfortunately, they've ressurected those ridiculous orange pants! The browns colors are perfectly subtle in their all white unis. These uniforms are pretty much the most traditionalist of all the NFL, which is always a plus.

NY Yankees (gray away)- The pinstripes are classics, but I'm partial to the away jersey with its block letter "New York" lettering, especially the old one without the outline.

Boston Celtics- Kelly green looks perfect against white. The best of all sports uniforms IMHO.

Princeton football- What most people recognize as Michigan's helmet design originated at Princeton. The orange and black look excellent, and the thin orange stripes on the sleeves are sheer beauty!

Minnesota Timberwolves (white home)- This is the oddball of my favorites, as its the only "modern" design I like. The team colors are mediocre at best, but the creative use of the "little tree motif" puts it in a class of its own. Finally one of the marketing "geniuses" got it right!

Detroit Tigers (white home)- Stunning in its simplicity, with the recognizable Old English "D" placed perfectly on the left breast. The best of the MLB unis and along with the Yankees, the most traditionalist....(Ty Cobb's uniform wasn't too different.)

North Carolina basketball- Carolina blue looks good just about anywhere....but the key to this uniform's success is the argyle on the sides. Argyle on a basketball uniform...brilliant!

Worst list coming soon.....

For those interested, take a look at Paul Luka's articles:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
this thread looks like it's worth resurecting...

Best...

10-

I don't know why Detroit ditched such a cool logo after only a few seasons...

9-

Was it the shoes??? Hell yes...but the black uni with the red pinstripes was also pretty dang sharp...

8-
Although I prefer the new number style and the new logo...but the concept is still the same...

7-

You can't really see it that well in the picture, but when the light hit the material just right, a bunch of stars would appear on this particular uniform...

6-

Can't stand the dingleberry wearing it...but I think the Gigantes jersey is probably the best new jersey this decade...and the only SF gear that I own...

5-

One of the few "old school" looking uniforms still in rotation today that I really dig...Love the logo...and even though the Raiders suck, nobody gives you any crap when you wear your Raiders gear...

4-

I love going out to the Coliseum whenever the A's wear this particular throwback...

3-

The powder blues were sharp...

2-

Phins light jersey...with the white pants...makes the orange and teal pop...

1-

Any team with big enough cajones to not put their name, or where they're from on their jersey, and simply put "The City"...hands down the best uniform of all time...

Worst

10-

Pajamas anyone???

9-

Pop Warner jerseys with college helmets...

8-

Some people call it classic...I've always thought it was boring...

7-

Okay...maybe just sour grapes because I wish a certain other team from California would have won the stanleycup...but I still don't care for these new uniforms...the old ones werent much better either...

6-

I used to think this was a cool uniform...but it has not withstood the test of time very well...and it's time for an update...

5-

The logo is only on one side of the helmet...WTF is up witht hat???

4-

I acutally much prefered the old one...

3-

My thoughts exactly when it comes to this uniform...the update is a tad better, but not much...

2-

When whoever sat down to design this...did they just set out to make the most blah uniform ever???

1-

Looks like something that a girls softball team might wear...hands down the worst uniform ever...

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Speaking of uniforms:

1. Is it only me, or does it bother people that nobody in baseball seems to wear stirrups anymore?

2. For that matter, what about a standard (i.e. uniform) way to wear baseball pants?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Best and worst team uniforms.

The most recognizable uniform in team sports in the world is the pinstripes of the New York Yankee . There is no team in the world with the tradition and history of the New York Yankees.
Professional basketball is relatively new , so there is no professional basketball uniform that has stood the test of time , maybe the Boston Celtics green.
Professional football's popularity is also recent , it's popularity dating back as early as 1960 due in part to television.
The Chicago Bears are maybe the New York Giants has the the recognisable uniforms in Professional football. many professional football uniforms has changed over the years , example the Cleveland Browns and the Washington Redskins.
In college football Notre Dame with it's history dating back to the 30's would be my choice as the most famous college football uniform.

The worst uniform would be pants worn by present day baseball players without revealing socks .
After all there is the White Sox and the Red Sox but one wouldn't know that today because soxs are covered , I might add stirrups looks much neater than pants pulled down
to the shoes.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The most recognizable uniform in team sports in the world is the pinstripes of the New York Yankee . There is no team in the world with the tradition and history of the New York Yankees.
If the world includes countries outside the USA I have to disagree with you.

Baseball is only played by the USA and a few other countries. Many football clubs (what you may refer to as soccer) have much greater recognition on a worldwide basis: Manchester United, AC Milan, Real Madrid and many others all have stronger recognition not only throughout Europe but also Asia, Africa and South America than the New York Yankees.

As for history and tradition I do not know where to start.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If the world includes countries outside the USA I have to disagree with you.

Baseball is only played by the USA and a few other countries. Many football clubs (what you may refer to as soccer) have much greater recognition on a worldwide basis: Manchester United, AC Milan, Real Madrid and many others all have stronger recognition not only throughout Europe but also Asia, Africa and South America than the New York Yankees.

As for history and tradition I do not know where to start.
While I'll admit that baseball is largely a US phenomena (though well represented in central and south america, as well as the caribbean among other places), I seriously doubt you can find a more recogizable sports team than the Yankees. Most soccer (football) fans would recognize the Yankee uniform. Most baseball fans couldn't pick an AC Milan jersey out if they tried. Not a knock on soccer, just a fact. One that the LA Galaxy should have realized before wasting all that money on Beckham, but that's another story.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Most of the world are not baseball fans so have no idea who the New York Yankees are I am sorry to inform you.

Most of the world could tell you the kit of any football team in the top leagues in Britain, Italy and Spain before they could tell you what any baseball team looked like.

Just a fact.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Best or worst?

Seriously though, the Yankees' away uniforms get my vote for classiest in all of sports. The worst? Without a doubt, any MLB team with those horrid sleeveless jerseys, the ones that make team owners look like they can't afford complete uniforms for their players.

·
Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
I like the Virginia lacrosse uniforms better than Hopkins.

Best:
St. Louis Cardinals
Green Bay Packers
Indiana basketball
I can't decide with pro hockey. Maple Leafs, Oilers, Habs. The Canadian teams do a good job with their uniforms.
Notre Dame football or Navy Midshipmen
Boston Celtics
UNH or BU hockey

Hockey uniforms are my favorite.

·
Banned
981 Posts
Most soccer (football) fans would recognize the Yankee uniform. Most baseball fans couldn't pick an AC Milan jersey out if they tried. Not a knock on soccer, just a fact.
This may be true but there are considerably more soccer (football) fans worldwide than baseball fans. Not a knock on baseball, just a fact.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.