Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm interested in buying a nice pair of business casual shoes for less than $200. Thanks to this forum, I became aware of the factory seconds available on the Allen Edmonds website. AE is especially attractive to me since, as recently confirmed on a Brannock, I'm a 9.5B width. Typically, my problem with even B width shoes is heel slippage. This is typically dealt with via a tongue pad. I believe I'm also quite flat-footed.

To gather some preliminary info, I went to the local Allen Edmonds shop and tried a pair of Strand shoes in 9.5B built on the 65 last. I have no prior experience with AE, and the fit was peculiar to me. There was significant extra room in the length of the shoe. Additionally, I found that in the back, the shoes extended too high and dug into my ankle bones. There was a bit of slipping in the heel, but not excessive. (I suspect that would resolve if the shoes were broken in.)

Can anyone recommend a better AE last/shoe for my type of foot?

Thank you very much.

rhz

·
Registered
177 Posts
All of them. No seriously. If you are willing to tolerate thier declining quality and high product variability they basically offer all models down to AAA. You can do as narrow as ever.

But to answer your question the 5 last is narrow.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The other issue you should consider is your instep. Mine is unusually high. I wear an E width, but even in a EE, I am unable to get even close to a closed vamp on an oxford. Consequently, I wear bluchers.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of them. No seriously. If you are willing to tolerate thier declining quality and high product variability they basically offer all models down to AAA. You can do as narrow as ever.

But to answer your question the 5 last is narrow.
Right. So, more specifically, I'd be interested in hearing from those who have initially had the problem I described with the cuff of an AE shoe digging into their ankles, and then switched to another model which solved this problem.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There is some variability in the fit between the different lasts. I have a narrow (B-width) foot with somewhat lower volume. The 65-last usually works fairly well for me.
In the 65-last, some people go down a half size and up one width. So you might want to try a 9C if you feel the 9.5B is too long. The C-width is available in the 65 and 511 lasts — maybe a couple of others.

I don’t have any advice for your heel/ankle question.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I resolved the ankle digging issue with foam insoles like Dr. Scholl's that you find in the drug store. They raise the foot high enough to avoid the top of shoe and they are inexpensive and comfortable.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is some variability in the fit between the different lasts. I have a narrow (B-width) foot with somewhat lower volume. The 65-last usually works fairly well for me.
In the 65-last, some people go down a half size and up one width. So you might want to try a 9C if you feel the 9.5B is too long. The C-width is available in the 65 and 511 lasts - maybe a couple of others.

I don't have any advice for your heel/ankle question.
That's interesting. I did try the 9B since there was a lot of excess toe room. It was too narrow. The obvious thing would have been to try a 9C--not sure if they had one in the shop.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I resolved the ankle digging issue with foam insoles like Dr. Scholl's that you find in the drug store. They raise the foot high enough to avoid the top of shoe and they are inexpensive and comfortable.
My experience with full-length insoles is that even the thin ones take up so much volume that they radically alter the fit of the shoe for me (much tighter). Are you referring to a heel-only type insert?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have half length, full length and custom orthotics that I wear with different shoes depending on the fit.

My experience with full-length insoles is that even the thin ones take up so much volume that they radically alter the fit of the shoe for me (much tighter). Are you referring to a heel-only type insert?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Right. So, more specifically, I'd be interested in hearing from those who have initially had the problem I described with the cuff of an AE shoe digging into their ankles, and then switched to another model which solved this problem.
This is my experience with almost ALL tight fitting shoes. After you break them in this stops however.

Put band aids on your ankes in the wear spots. After some number of wears this problem goes away from my experience.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my experience with almost ALL tight fitting shoes. After you break them in this stops however.

Put band aids on your ankes in the wear spots. After some number of wears this problem goes away from my experience.
That's interesting. I get it occasionally. I suppose it was more noticeable in this case because of the stiffness of the leather along that top ridge of the shoes by the ankles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.