Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, I'm not able to afford some of the expensive suits that those here typically buy-- I'm only a modest Army officer. I would, however, like opinions on where to get the best conservative/traditional suit for around $800. I'm in the Washington D.C. area, but online sites would be greatly appreciated.

"Fortune favors the bold."

·
Registered
42 Posts
ebay

I'm building my young broke professional wardrobe from ebay and getting all my suits re-fitted by my tailor.

there are some good deals on ebay and alot of bad ones too. lots of old crap.

brooks brothers also has some great suits in that $800 range. use a combination of coupons and begging to get a good deal.

I am by no mean a professional stylist and my knowledge is based on Alan Fusser's Dressing the Man and Dress Smart: Men.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Brethren -- Brooks Brothers -- certainly have some good suits in the $800 price range. Their 1818 line (with three distinct cuts: Madison, Fitzgerald, Regent) is in that neighborhood -- even lower during one of their fairly frequent sales. I'd suggest a visit to the Brooks Brothers store on Connecticut Avenue in DC -- very close to the Farragut North Metro stop although you can also walk easily from Dupont Circle or Farragut West. Alex and Joe in the tailored clothing department always give me outstanding service. And depending on your size, they have a fairly broad range of sizes.

Also in the same neighborhood of the city, I suggest making a trip to the second floor of the Connecticut Avenue Filene's. Many of the suits they carry there are dreck, but if you know what you're looking for you can find some very good suits as well (perhaps even a little under your price range). Look out especially for Hickey Freeman and Hart Schaffner Marx at that store. They also have Oxxford suits occasionally -- the best ready-to-wear suit in the world, arguably, but even at Filene's they're going to be in the $1100-$1200 range unfortunately.

You could also think about going over to J.Press on L Street (just a little west of Connecticut, I think the corner of 18th Street and L) and look at their offerings. They also have a made-to-order program from Southwick (not made-to-measure; made-to-order means that the suit is a standard cut in your size, made of the fabric and with the details you request) and I bet you could find some good fabrics in your price range.

Just my ten cents. And thank you for your service.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
$800 will usually get you a very nice suit at an outlet, particularly during their sales. Both Nordstrom and Saks 5th Ave have outlets at Potomac Mills, south of DC.

$800 is an awkward price range for retail, IMO. You're still getting a very mass-produced garment in that price range. I'm not sure I believe there's enough improvement over the Jos Bank stuff (during one of their typical 50% off sales) to merit the additional bucks.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm going to stick with the Brooks Brothers 1818, J. Press, or Southwick recommendations. I guess the answer to your question is "Southwick", because BB 1818 and J. Press are most likely going to be Southwick made suits.

Brooks Brothers gives you the option for the best price. You could go during one of the Friends and Family sales or semi-annual sales and get one for well under $700.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
In that price range ...

you can get BB mtm on sale and at a frequent 25% off sale you can get an 1818 suit. I have had mtm and bespoke in the past, but I like the 1818 Regent. If you don't have an unusual build, like a 9-inch drop from shoulder to waist or are stout, one of the 1818 suits should fit fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It may be worth looking into, but several months ago I was able to pick up a Hickey Freeman suit for 400 (madison). Obviously with the recent buy-out there situation may have changed. For 800 you shouldn't have a problem finding a decent canvassed suit on sales racks

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
$800 is an awkward price range for retail, IMO. You're still getting a very mass-produced garment in that price range. I'm not sure I believe there's enough improvement over the Jos Bank stuff (during one of their typical 50% off sales) to merit the additional bucks.
A half canvas BB 1818 or Southwick will have considerably better fit, fabric and construction and will dry clean much better then a fused JAB suit. I'd say $700 retail is the first price point where you actually start seeing a difference in construction quality.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not able to afford some of the expensive suits that those here typically buy-- I'm only a modest Army officer. I would, however, like opinions on where to get the best conservative/traditional suit for around $800. I'm in the Washington D.C. area, but online sites would be greatly appreciated.

"Fortune favors the bold."
If you can wait until around Christmastime, you can get RLPL and RLBL suits for about 4 or 5 hundred.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'll have to put another vote out for BB 1818, specifically the Regent or Fitzgerald. I have a Charcoal Fitz and absolutely love it. The only thing I don't like is that it has a center vent but other than that it is great.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Have you looked at Hickey Freeman main line suits? they are fully canvassed (just make sure you are not buying HF Ltd).

You can usually find Hickey Freeman suits at Off 5th or Neiman Marcus outlets for around $500-600.

·
Registered
84 Posts
+1 for the BB 1818 line. They have even and odd numbered sizes too, so you may get a better fit than places that only have 38/40/42/etc.

BB just had a sale a few months ago, i picked up two 1818 suits for $1000. Just wait for the sales: they are frequent.

DF

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would see if BB does another warehouse sale where Golden Fleece was on sale from $2,400 to $600. This was probably a month and a half ago.

As an above poster said, I would check out NM Last Call, Saks Off 5th, and Nordstroms Rack. You could find a HF non-LTD for around that range, and this would be on par, in my opinion, to a BB GF. It is more of a hit and miss though, and while you might have a better chance at BB, why not try them all? A deals a deal wherever you get it.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
So, this thread evoked absolutely zero responses in more than 4.5 years, and then generated 14 in one day.

The mills of "Ask Andy" may grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

For not much more than $800 you can drive out to Westminster, MD, and order a suit MTM from English-American.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
So, this thread evoked absolutely zero responses in more than 4.5 years, and then generated 14 in one day.

For not much more than $800 you can drive out to Westminster, MD, and order a suit MTM from English-American.
Everyone has to make the clicking-on-old-thread-at-bottom-of-page mistake once.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Wow--talk about a flashback. This thread reminds me of just how much this forum has taught me in the last four years. Since that posting, I've bought shirts and ties from Chuck Franke, hangers from Kirby, shirts from Jantzen, AE shoes, and acquired used suits by Chris Despos, Ermenegildo Zegna (trofeo line), Canali, and Norman Hilton--not to mention my CD of Andy's very useful Encyclopedia of men's clothing. I'm no expert now, but I realize how ignorant I was then and how far I've come because of you guys.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.