Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this has been covered before. I did try searching, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm looking to get some decent ties for a couple of relatives for Christmas and looking for recommendations. Both gentlemen are in their early/mid 30s. One is a criminal defense attorney and one is a banker (think: President of a bank in a small east Texas town, not a Wall Street banker).

I have no problem with purchasing items online for myself, but when it comes to gifts for relatives (particularly ones that are just casual acquaintances that I see only a few times a year), I think its best to stick with retail stores. Seems more formal/traditional to me, plus it allows them easier access to exchange it if they wish.

I will be shopping in the Dallas area if anyone has a local recommendation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hugo Boss ties in the UK are £50 ($75), they should under $100 in the US. Ralph Lauren ties are quite good as well, probaby on sale everywhere and you should be able to get them gift wrapped from the website.

I recommend both these brands because I have two ties from each. Both brands are something like appeal to their age-group. I assume RL is pretty common in RL (yet still respected) whereas HB is not and may seem like a more thoughtful gift.

If you go to the RL website, they have a 'gifts uder $100' section
https://www.ralphlauren.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3354019&cp=1760781&SMR=1&ab=ln_men_features_giftsunder$100

If you are looking for a RL tie instore, you may be able to get a matching pocket sqaure for $100 - on the website they are selling for $50, to getting a tie as well would be over budget.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
My apologies if this has been covered before. I did try searching, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm looking to get some decent ties for a couple of relatives for Christmas and looking for recommendations. Both gentlemen are in their early/mid 30s. One is a criminal defense attorney and one is a banker (think: President of a bank in a small east Texas town, not a Wall Street banker).

I have no problem with purchasing items online for myself, but when it comes to gifts for relatives (particularly ones that are just casual acquaintances that I see only a few times a year), I think its best to stick with retail stores. Seems more formal/traditional to me, plus it allows them easier access to exchange it if they wish.

I will be shopping in the Dallas area if anyone has a local recommendation.

Thanks!
Get something from David Hober.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Scabal

Astor & Black carries Scabal neckties for the $100 price point. Scabal makes fabric used by Brioni. There is no better option for $100 than a Scabal tie, which Brioni would sell for an exponentially higher price.
www.astorandblack.com

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Robert Talbot Best In Class and Ike Behar at Nordstrom Rack can be found for between $30-40. Excellent value in my opinion.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Charvet gets a lot of bad press around here, but I think they make nice ties. They're about $190 at retail, but lots of sales going on now, which bring them to about $100. They're conservative, but with a little pizzazz.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.