Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,I have had it with OTR,so I'm going to have a few shirts made.I'm going to use MyTailor.com.I have decided to go with the following for one of the shirts:

Collar:9n (narrow contour)

Cuff:Contoured French cuff (FCS)

I would have the body done in either french blue or black/white stripes,with white collar and cuff.I would also go with angled script monogramming on the left cuff,and of course MOP buttons,however,I don't know whether to go with the reg. size or the larger buttons.

Any input would be higly appreciated.Oh,and anyone who has had expirience with this company,do they put your name where the tag of the shirt would normally be?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ordered my first shirt from them last month ... actually my first MTM. I wanted to do one only to begin, primarily to see the fit.

You can see my shirt at https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=85771

Overall VERY pleased with the results - the fabric was better than expected for the price point and the construction seems very good. I selected of of their "two ply superfine" for my first go around, and would consider ordering from that collection again - although I may try some of their 'executive' or from the Mason line.

I just had them put the regular buttons on, and they're better than average - but not of course MOP. If I was to order the MOP buttons in the future (and I may) personally I'd go with the thinner style on a lighter fabric - but that's just my personal preference. They do not put your name on the label area - although you can select that as a monogramming option.

I've actually now placed an order for 4 more shirts - 1 Formal, 2 Regular and 1 Button Down. I sent them some of my pictures and they sent to their tailor to try to adjust for my low right shoulder. Customer service has been very good from what I've seen.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe ordering shirts from mytailor.com would be MTM and not bespoke.
That being said, do a search for mytailor.com. They have been discussed a lot on this forum. Good luck with your shirts and if you can, post pictures when you receive them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If anyone would like to offer an opinion on the collar/cuff combination,I'd really appreciate it.
Personally it's way too fashion forward for my tastes - I've never been a fan of contrasting collars/cuffs, nor of a contoured collar. The narrow contour is so narrow I'd wonder how a tie would look with it. I would suggest you go more basic on your first shirt from them to get the fit right before experimenting.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally it's way too fashion forward for my tastes - I've never been a fan of contrasting collars/cuffs, nor of a contoured collar. The narrow contour is so narrow I'd wonder how a tie would look with it. I would suggest you go more basic on your first shirt from them to get the fit right before experimenting.
Good point.I do however,like the contoured cuff (besides looking nice,I've never seen this cuff on any OTR styles,and have alway's been a fan of contrasting collars and cuffs, but I think I'll go with the classic straight or maybe the rounded points collar,or,should the mood strike me,an eyelet collar.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe ordering shirts from mytailor.com would be MTM and not bespoke.
That being said, do a search for mytailor.com. They have been discussed a lot on this forum. Good luck with your shirts and if you can, post pictures when you receive them.
If I am not mistaken,bespoke (or custom in AmE.),means made to the exact specifications (translation,whatever the customer wants),and MTM simply taking a standard shirt and making it to the customers measurements,not including the custom additions you can have with bespoke.So therefore,MyTailor.com is bespoke.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
If I am not mistaken,bespoke (or custom in AmE.),means made to the exact specifications (translation,whatever the customer wants),and MTM simply taking a standard shirt and making it to the customers measurements,not including the custom additions you can have with bespoke.So therefore,MyTailor.com is bespoke.
Bespoke involves cutting a paper pattern and such. Many made to measure programs (such as mytailor) have extensive options; however, there is no individual pattern cut for you.

Where would you reccomend monogram placement?
I would have it placed somewhere not visible. I think monograms are tacky. :eek:

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bespoke involves cutting a paper pattern and such. Many made to measure programs (such as mytailor) have extensive options; however, there is no individual pattern cut for you.

I would have it placed somewhere not visible. I think monograms are tacky. :eek:
I was under the impression that for suits at least,they did cut individual patterns,however,I could be mistaken.And as for monograms,I actually like them,despite it being a bit pretentious.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I was under the impression that for suits at least,they did cut individual patterns,however,I could be mistaken.And as for monograms,I actually like them,despite it being a bit pretentious.
Then go with what makes you happy.

I don't think mytailor cuts individual patterns, but I could be mistaken as well. Bespoke typically has multiple fittings as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have heard some say that a garment is not truly bespoke unless you actually meet with the pattern maker and have multiple fittings on the item before it's complete, as well as choosing your bolt of fabric in the store, or making that fabric "spoken for." That may be the most elitist definition, but I'd say that most options places like mytailor are custom, and MTM I tend to think means you do not get to choose many individual design details, but just get it ...well...made to measure. That's my understanding at least, and it's mostly just semantics, if it fits well and looks good, then go for it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You might try the monogram on the sleeve in a thread color very similar or the same as the shirting. That way only a person very close to you would even see it. That is the only way I would show monogramming (personal taste).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
stop worrying about what the process is called.
WDF who is going to take your measurements? the rep from Mytailor?
your wife, the seamstress at the dry cleaner. self measured?

This is a MTM garment. most likely computer made patterns. which is just fine. might be cut by knife cutter or a human. lots of good options except the ability to differentiate between front band height and back collar height.

Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.