Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Ladies and gents. Its up to you to settle a marital dispute. In San fransisco last weekend I bought a nice pair of a very dark green suede Graviti Chuka boots. Wilks didn't have a matching belt. When we got home I started looking for a new belt to match. My wife says its too "matchy matchy" and will look ridiculous. I on the other hand think it will look just fine. So we will put it too you the good people of ask Andy to decide for us. Its all up to you.

P.S. Does anyone know where to get a nice dark green suede belt? Provided
I am victorious in my opinions.

Thanks, Damon

·
Registered
371 Posts
I know that the general approach many of us take is to match our shoes and belts. I'm not sure that school of thought extends well to unconventional colors. For instance, if I owned a pair of white shoes for summer wear, I would probably pick up a surcingle or ribbon belt in some complimentary color or pattern, but probably not in solid white).

While I'm sure your new boots are very stylish (please do post some photos!), I'd guess they are striking enough that a matching belt might scream "trying too hard." Personally, I would probably go with a fairly neutral brown or cognac belt in that situation..

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
You might be able to get away with a ribbon belt in a green or dark color. Earth tones should work. Exact match in a belt would look weird to me in a green suede.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
This topic has generated a lot of discussion and divergent opinions. Some believe in a good match (I do); others say that anything approaching a match is contrived and to be avoided, and another contingent feel that too close a match is ill-advised, but that you should keep within the same general color range--i.e., mid-brown belt with tan shoes, etc. For suede, similar differences of opinion prevail. There's a group, of which I'm a member, that feels that matching the texture of suede between shoes and belt is desirable, although the color doesn't need to be an exact match.

Your situation presents a real challenge. I would recommend a suede belt, but I doubt that you'll find one in dark green, and, further, even if you could, it would perhaps be ill-advised. Here are a couple of color suggestions for a suede belt that would, in my opinion, satisfy the need for some similarity without the match being too close: (a) black or (b) dark brown, with the latter probably being my preference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Red96 trying to post some photos using apple comp and JPG files.
Unfortunately I'm not to good at this kind of stuff. Any suggestions on posting photos. I can't seem to find any help on the website. Thanks

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Strange as I thought most women liked matchy things. I would listen to her about the belt.

I think a brown leather or a surcingle belt would be the way to go. I think either would look better than a matching belt, assuming such a thing can even be found.

What are you going to wear those with?

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
150 Posts
...There's a group, of which I'm a member, that feels that matching the texture of suede between shoes and belt is desirable, although the color doesn't need to be an exact match.
+1. Matching green suede with green suede would be too "matchy-matchy." Perhaps green ribbon, or green woven, but I think a complementary suede would be best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it looks like the gallery has spoken and I'll be looking for a dark brown or black suede belt and once again my better half is right. Hey outrigger thanks for tracking down those pics of my new boots and that shot of my shoe illness. I got close I just don't have the aptitude for that computer stuff. How did you do that by the way. We were sort of down in your neck of the woods (London)
last fall and had a blast checking out all the great haberdashers in the Picadilly square area. There were men waiting for a seat at the Crocket and Jones store. I bought a nice pair of the Rosebury loafers when I was there. Great city. Will go back if the dollar ever comes back around. Thanks Damon

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Damon, pleased we were of some help to you and welcome to the forum. I managed to post the link by right clicking on where you tried to post the image and got the URL from there, for some reason though I had to post it as a link as it wouldn't post as a photo, perhaps your privacy settings need altering on your hosting site. Glad you liked London there's something about the West End that's special.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The green of a belt would have to be darker than the boots at least - I mean very dark - in order to not look in any way attention seeking. Of course, you know that.

Although I think a subtle black belt would also work very well.

Congrats on green boots! :icon_smile:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I cannot imagine you being able to find an exact match.....I think I would opt for a taupe or brown for these over black as I would think that you would wear these with earth tones. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Good point! Though I think it would also depend on the shade of green in the boot, and the tones comprising the rest of the ensemble.
I think so too - what I can't figure out is what clothing one would wear with green shoes - sounds like something elves and Hobbits might wear. But, I am always happy to expand my horizons.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now Jim you can see in the pictures they are not lucky charms green. More of a brown/green. I wore them to a casual dinner place in Vail (the only kind of dinner places we have around here) over the weekend with a pair of black jeans and a soft green and tan check Scott Barber shirt and a brown car coat/sportcoat with green and blue flecks to it. Looked pretty good to me and best of all it was something different.

Damon

·
Registered
569 Posts
Shoes and Belts, revisited?

Although I have read the threat all the way through, I'm still confused. What's the rule of thumb on this? Example: When wearing brown shoes, is it all right to wear a different color brown, a cloth belt, etc.?, or is it same same?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.