Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never worn anything but a regular buckle belt, but I'm curious about belts that have engine-turned silver buckles of the sort that "snap" onto the belt, like BB offers. How do these work?

I understand how they fit onto the belt, but how do they hold the belt strap in place? And what size belt would one get--the same as one's normal size? Or do you need an exact size match--or do these types of buckles allow the "extra" length of belt that would exist after the hole that one had used to pin one's belt on a regular belt?

Yes, I know these are silly questions, but I've never encountered anything but a regular buckle in the flesh, as it were, and I'm curious! :icon_smile:

· Registered
2,865 Posts
If they use any sort of squeezing or pressure, get one size larger. They do allow for the extra length to pass through to the other side.

I have a reversible belt from Bally. Instead of having a buckle that flips over, or a pivot, this one has a clamp hat must be undone and the leather flipped over.

After only a couple months, the clamp stopped holding. I had to take a folded-up ATM receipt and wedge it in so it wouldn't come undone. And coming undone was an embarrassment - all of a sudden a heavy buckle is swinging in front of you on the end of the belt.

· Registered
754 Posts
Yes, the way they work is through pressure; difficult to explain, but there is a sort of hinged loop on the buckle that swivels downward and pinches the belt. What's terrific about this system is that it is infinitely adjustable; you're not stuck with the predetermined holes that you are with any other belt.

You should not over-think the sizing of the strap; buy it as you would normally. The manufacturer will normally state if you should order one size up from your trouser size.

Favorite purveyors seem to be Ben Silver, Tiffany, Brooks, and B.D. Jeffries (Atlanta). I also believe that Trafalgar makes them.

Note: You will need to check on whether the buckle accepts 1" belts or 1 1/4" belts. If it accepts 1 1/4" belts, it will obviously accept 1" as well; obviously with a 1" buckle you are more limited.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend the purchase.

· Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks--this is all helpful!

I'm still curious about how these buckles, well, buckle, and so I'd be very grateful if someone could post pictures of one (off, of course), showing how the strap fits in?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.