Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,721 Posts
I'm not sure as to what the point of this thread may be.
Right. A "Before/After" thread in a clothing forum would have value if, for instance, you were comparing a well-fitting suit from one era to a well-fitting suit from another era. Then you could profitably discuss the relative advantages and disadvantages of each style. Or, if you compared a modern-day suit that, in subtle ways, didn't fit quite right with a modern suit that fit really well, it would be interesting to discuss the various details that mean all the difference between a so-so fit and an excellent fit.

But a contest that is deliberately staged to be clearly lopsided, as represented by the two photos in the opening post, is no fun because there's no real challenge. The best competitions are those that occur between two strong contenders.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
Of course, for all the smart reasons noted above, the after pic is a better fit, but IMHO, not a really good fit for that man's build.

He's a solid built guy - not heavy, but a bit boxy on top with wide shoulders, a broad chest and (hard to tell scale, but my guess) a bit short and skinny legs.

I think he'd look much better in a well-tailored sack suit which would deemphasize his shoulders and chest while bringing his legs (via a wider trouser) into better proportion with his upper body.

It's been said elsewhere in this forum recently that the slim-cut suits of today - high armholes, narrow sleeves and trousers, tight fit all over - are best for tall, thin men - I agree. Not super skinny (that is just a fashion moment), but for the right frame, a slim suit can work.

But this well-built guy in the OP is not a candidate for that suit and, while, as shown in the after pic, it can be tailored to fit his frame, it still isn't as flattering as a cut and fit that is best suited for him.

· Registered
3,721 Posts
Fading Fast, I agree wih your comments. It would have been better if the opening post had contained just one photo--the "After" photo--with a request that we suggest how the fit of the "After" suit could be improved. Then I'd add that the high button stance is doing the man no favors.

· Premium Member
27,866 Posts
I think Goldilocks needs to fit this man!

Obviously who ever did it this time first put him in an ill fitting suit that's too large, and posed him in an unappealing a manner. And the second time, placed him in a less poorly fitted suit that is fashionably too close and short.

I have confidence from prior experience with Goldie that she can find the one that's "just right!"

All the subtle ways this fellow's appearance in the first photo is handicapped is actually humorous; suit too big, trousers much too full in the legs and unpressed, and worn at a length to puddle, jacket unbuttoned, wearing sunglasses with a not particularly forthcoming expression as contrasted to his gleeful grin in the second.

The whole exercise begs the issue of, what could this man would look like in a suit more generously cut than the second, but properly fitted? (And pressed!)

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course, for all the smart reasons noted above, the after pic is a better fit, but IMHO, not a really good fit for that man's build.

He's a solid built guy - not heavy, but a bit boxy on top with wide shoulders, a broad chest and (hard to tell scale, but my guess) a bit short and skinny legs.

I think he'd look much better in a well-tailored sack suit which would deemphasize his shoulders and chest while bringing his legs (via a wider trouser) into better proportion with his upper body.

It's been said elsewhere in this forum recently that the slim-cut suits of today - high armholes, narrow sleeves and trousers, tight fit all over - are best for tall, thin men - I agree. Not super skinny (that is just a fashion moment), but for the right frame, a slim suit can work.

But this well-built guy in the OP is not a candidate for that suit and, while, as shown in the after pic, it can be tailored to fit his frame, it still isn't as flattering as a cut and fit that is best suited for him.
It would be interesting to see this man wearing a well-tailored sack suit as Fading Fast suggested.

Would most men here agree that close-fitting suits are best for the slender man?

· Registered
14,999 Posts
It would be interesting to see this man wearing a well-tailored sack suit as Fading Fast suggested.

Would most men here agree that close-fitting suits are best for the slender man?
A suit should fit! Period! Men come in all shapes and sizes. Tailored clothing should complement a man's body. The terms "close fit", "slim fit", etc. are meaningless terms.

· Registered
888 Posts
I recognize that set of photos from a few years ago. As with all things, there is a lot of misinformation on men's tailored clothing online, and this was from one of those blogs that have been telling men to wear these slim cut suits for years. Ignoring things like button stance, balance and proportions, age appropriateness, etc.

Its why I love AAAC.

· Registered
976 Posts
Isn't the jacket length too long making the legs look even shorter?

To my untrained eye, in after photograph the shoulders look too wide and the lapels too narrow for a wider fellow.

How about flared coat to break the strait lines?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.