Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More than 20 years ago, I purchased a pair of beefroll loafers by a Maine shoe compay that's long since gone out of business. They're great shoes that over time, I've had resoled at least three times.

At the last resoling, the cobbler said it's probably going to be the last time he's going to be able to pull it off.

Since then, I've started the hunt for a replacement pair to start wearing now so the old favorite can remain in use for a bit more time.

So far, I've found this pair by Alden, https://www.aldenshoes.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=71 . Does anyone out there have a source for a solidly built, made-in-America loafer like this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry ... a clarification

Are you asking where to find the Alden or are you asking for alternatives? If you want solidly built and USA-made with classic styling and quality, Alden is pretty much the complete selection these days.
I was hoping to find some alternatives that are made in America. The Aldens are nice, but the stitching is a bit more on the casual side of "dress casual."

Thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonderful ...

Allen Edmonds would be the other choice. I don't think they have a leather-soled beefroll but they might.

If you can live without the beefrolls and want something on the dressier side that's still a true loafer... many of us consider the Alden LHS the gold standard of loafers: https://www.aldenshoes.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=44

And the shell cordovan variant is even better, if the budget permits: https://www.aldenshoes.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=49
Both of these are great ... and you're right, more on the dressy side. What's your opinion as to which is the better bargain, considering wear and longevity? How does shell cordovan hold up over time, and could I get another 22 years out of that pair?

And one stupid question, what is "LHS"? I've seen it referred to in other threads and am just now getting up to gumption to ask for a definition.

thx

·
Registered
39 Posts
Both of these are great ... and you're right, more on the dressy side. What's your opinion as to which is the better bargain, considering wear and longevity? How does shell cordovan hold up over time, and could I get another 22 years out of that pair?

And one stupid question, what is "LHS"? I've seen it referred to in other threads and am just now getting up to gumption to ask for a definition.

thx
LHS = "Leisure Hand Sewn", Aldenese for "penny loafer".

I have a pair in shell but they're only a few years old, so I'll defer to others on ultimate longevity. My sense is that they will prove extremely durable.

·
Registered
946 Posts
More than 20 years ago, I purchased a pair of beefroll loafers by a Maine shoe compay that's long since gone out of business. They're great shoes that over time, I've had resoled at least three times.

At the last resoling, the cobbler said it's probably going to be the last time he's going to be able to pull it off.

Since then, I've started the hunt for a replacement pair to start wearing now so the old favorite can remain in use for a bit more time.

So far, I've found this pair by Alden, https://www.aldenshoes.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=71 . Does anyone out there have a source for a solidly built, made-in-America loafer like this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
What is a "beefroll". I have seen the term used before, but never understood the meaning.
If you look at the shoe in the picture, you'll notice a bound piece of leather at either end of the penny strap. Because these resemble a rolled and tied piece of beef, they are known as beef roll penny loafers.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Johnston & Murphy still offer a recraftable beefroll penny loafer. Whether it is one of the shoes they still make in the U.S., I don't know.

https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=648&pid=50886&VID=50886
The Ski Moc is made in Mexico. The shoes have excellent build quality, and J&M can refurbish them down the line. Their main comprimise: plastic-coated leather. But even their leather is better than what you find on similar shoes from Cole Haan and Bass.

Another choice would be the Sebago Classic:

https://sebago.com/Product/NGP/Classics-Handsewns/Mens/Classic.aspx

·
Registered
549 Posts
Alden Cape Cod Beefroll

Last week I tried on an Alden Beefroll from the Cape Cod line. It was leather soled and fully lined. Available in black or burgundy, it appears to me (certainly no expert) to be corrected grain leather. Outwardly, it looks almost identical to my old USA made Sebago beefrolls. I have never seen the shoe on any website, nor in the latest Alden catalogue. Does anyone have any experience with this shoe? Sorry I don't know the model number, but I could call and ask.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This might be ...

Last week I tried on an Alden Beefroll from the Cape Cod line. It was leather soled and fully lined. Available in black or burgundy, it appears to me (certainly no expert) to be corrected grain leather. Outwardly, it looks almost identical to my old USA made Sebago beefrolls. I have never seen the shoe on any website, nor in the latest Alden catalogue. Does anyone have any experience with this shoe? Sorry I don't know the model number, but I could call and ask.
... what you tried on:
https://www.aldenshoes.com/DrawOneSpecial.asp?CategoryID=139

I found it on Alden's Web site in the Discontinued Specials section. Unfortunately it's no longer available in my size.

In the meantime, I've been in touch with a friend at Eljo's, Bill Roberts, and have made arrangements to get fitted for a pair of Alden LHS (I know what that means now), probably in the cordovan. Bill swears by them.

I just couldn't find a pair of beefrolls that was on the dressy side of "dress casual." Oh well ... I'll just hang on to my trusty 22-year-olds!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The H474 black calf beefroll is the most comfortable penny loafer I have ever worn. I've had mine since 2000 and have had heels and soles replaced twice.

Perhaps Tom from Leathersoul could use his considerable influence with the powers that be in Middleborough to reinstate this to the Cape Cod line. I know they still offer a beefroll with the Vibram sole but it's just not as nice a shoe. The likelihood of me ever finding another pair in black in 13D is about the same as hitting tomorrow's Powerball numbers.

·
1,767 Posts
Unsolicited Suggestion

Mr Anderson, I realize that this is not at all what you asked for in OP, but please let me offer a suggestion.

1. Get the LHS from Eljo's. You will be thrilled with them. They go well with almost everything. They are a bit dressier than beefrolls, but you have the advantage of being able to ship them back to Alden for recrafting.

Alden will do a much better job for @$135 than most cobblers, and they will look like new.If the beefrolls in the op were Aldens, and went back to Alden, they would still be in your rotation.

2. Bite the bullet on "made in America" and go to Zappos for a pair of Bass Weejun beefrolls, for about $95. Well made, and can be resoled often. Wear them like heck, and save your LHS for less demanding occasions.

FWIW, there is one difference between the LHS and the beefroll. The stitchhing around the toe of the LHS is faux, and is called foxing. (Doesn't join two pieces of leather together, and is decorative instead of functional).

Bass stitch on the toes, is functional, and actually joins the two pieces of leather together.

So much for useless information, and unsolicited opinions on this nice fall day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks so much ...

Mr Anderson, I realize that this is not at all what you asked for in OP, but please let me offer a suggestion.

So much for useless information, and unsolicited opinions on this nice fall day.
... but it WAS useful information. And that's probably going to be what I'll do. And the shoes in the original post ... I'm wearing them today with my UVa uniform -- Southwick Navy Douglas 3-btn, yellow-and-blue rep stripe, Bill's, woven Trafalgar leather belt and the ubiquitous blue button-down.

I do love autumn in Virginia.

And thanks again.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I wish there was a weejun style loafer in the Bass price level that didn't suck. I may have to get a pair of Haans of Bass' since AEs and Aldens are a bit out of range. But if anyone has any suggestions for a descent shoe in the low end of the spectrum I'm sure it would help atleast only me, haha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.