Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is facial hair incompatible with trad? That is, must one be clean-shaven to be really trad? Or may one wear a moustache, a full beard, or that combination of moustache and chin beard now commonly called a goatee?

Since few men here show their faces in the photos, it is not easy to guess if any posters combine trad dress with groomed facial hair.

Others’ opinions?

Thank you.

David

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Hair

Tugger,

Allowed for what?
Everything is trad, even British and Italian.
I am an old trad type. I am from the 60 era. High school and all then.
I had hair down to my as s.
I smoked pot.
My jeans were ripped!
And I wore sandals.
Trad as trad can be!!!

There is no law my friend regarding what is correct, or not correct. IMO
I went on to wear perfect trad. Brooks OCBD, khaki etc.
I learned there are no rules my friend. If it looks good. Go for it.

You have a nice weekend

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Nope. Laser hair removal is the preferred method. And don't forget the chest hair.

Seriously, do whatever you want. Facial hair might get you docked some highly important cyber trad points from some (stupid) people, but who cares?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Seriously, do whatever you want. Facial hair might get you docked some highly important cyber trad points from some (stupid) people, but who cares?
Don't forget Sean Connery as Professor Henry Jones, Sr in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade--tweeds, bow tie, and beard.

I've had at least a moustache for the past nearly-forty years; close-cropped beard since 1999--hasn't hurt me...and mrs hbs likes it.:icon_smile_big:

hbs

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I've had at least a moustache for the past nearly-forty years; close-cropped beard since 1999--hasn't hurt me...and mrs hbs likes it.:icon_smile_big:
This, I think, is the clincher. If your wife likes you with facial hair, wear facial hair. She's much more important than a bunch of random strangers on an internet message board.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Although I had a goatee for a while a few years back (a youthful indiscretion), I generally believe that the OPH's dictum against facial hair has merit. That said, I do think that a close-cropped beard can look okay on the right older gentleman (I am thinking of Bruce Boyer, I think, who I have seen pictured somewhere).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Only a select few of us can wear facial hair and look so good in it.I would suggest the rest of you to not even try. ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Allowed? Clean shaven is a mid century thing that coincided with the popularity of Ivy style, that's all. And yeah, it's harder to have decent facial hair in prep school for obvious hormonal reasons. There is no trad police, though in some theocracies beards may be enforced and I'm sure they're frowned upon in North Korea, following the pompadoured ruler. This is America. Live proud, free and, if it suits your fancy, hairy.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,097 Posts
Admittedly this is quite an old thread but I truly hope that we have gotten past any idea that somehow there is a NSA cloned organization out there dictating what a man who likes the occasional sack suit and/or tweed jacket can or cannot wear. "Allowed"? Really? Please!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I can't grow facial hair. I just started getting a reputable 9:00 shadow after two days without shaving. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think that a better rule is to be sure that you can grow a good beard or moustache. If it is thin, patchy or scraggly, keep shaving.

If you can pull of a full one, keep it well trimmed.

Reasonable references would be Tom Selleck for a moustache and Ben Bernanke for a beard.

JMHO.

Steffan

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What is the relationship between trad and hipster? My guess is that much of what passes for the former is really the latter, so you might as well throw in a beard if you want one.

Some say that everything you wear is a costume. I don't subscribe to that exactly, but if you're trying to conform to some supposed set of rules, then you might be in the realm of costume.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.