Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I've been shopping for a new coat since I moved to Greenwich from Washington, DC. Down there I never seemed to need much more than a sweater under my suit jacket, but here the weather is much more foul with a great deal more precipitation. I'm also leaving my car behind most days to walk to work in Greenwich or NYC, so I'm also in the elements far more.

Anyways, I have been trying to find a jacket in the barn coat style with a removable liner. It came down to this LL Bean classic barn coat or the Barbour Bedale (which I ended up going with if for no other reason than I would have the opportunity to develop a ritual with the re-proofing!). I had been searching this forum and reading reviews on the brands' sites when I came to the comments on the Bean site about this coat.

While many were great, there was a surprising number of people who seemed to want to "update" the jacket and for the silliest of reasons. They wanted pull strings and zippers instead of buttons to take out the lining, and new and more advanced pocket options, and I actually got a bit annoyed as this was the only real "old fashioned" coat on their website. Every other style is moving toward "Arctic Tech." It really brought home what trad is to me.

Most consumers demand updates, replacements, or just newness in general. Many have lived their entire lives (including myself) in a time when there was no actual need to conserve or repair anything. Buying something new has become like a sport, so manufacturers produce far more than what we need and create what, in Logic class, would be called "a distinction without a difference" so that we discard our perfectly good products and upgrade. Post WWII our prosperity became so tied to material wealth that even today our government is trying to get us to empty our wallets needlessly to save ourselves.

I would wager that taken in aggregate, we carry far less debt than most, could repair a car, pitch a tent, and generally survive on our wits far better than someone wearing an Arctic Tech coat with its 17 zippers zipped walking down an urban street in light rain!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a forest green LL Bean Barn Coat that's close to 10 years old.

It's the perfect coat for all kinds of foul weather, with roomy pockets and a removable liner, and after 10 years of frequent wear it still looks great - I can't imagine why anyone would want to change or update it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Excellent post. I was looking at these a few months ago but became discouraged due to the variety of linings that Bean is offering. Which is most classic? It's tough to make a lining choice over the internet. Too much choice. But a great jacket.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am continually amazed they've done away with their down vests. I suppose Everything Must Be Fleece.

"Distinction without a difference" -- yes my wife was furious when she gave me an iPod/iTouch for Xmas and I offered to trade it to my (13-yr-old) daughter for her basic iPod. I just wanna be able to play music. I don't need to be able to check the weather in Peoria.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
While many were great, there was a surprising number of people who seemed to want to "update" the jacket and for the silliest of reasons. They wanted pull strings and zippers instead of buttons to take out the lining, and new and more advanced pocket options, and I actually got a bit annoyed as this was the only real "old fashioned" coat on their website. Every other style is moving toward "Arctic Tech."
Exactly, it is what it is, if you need a technical jacket there are plenty of other options.

Brian

·
Registered
99 Posts
Overall, I agree except for linings. I think that zip out linings are useful and fit well. They are less fiddly than linings that are attached with buttons. Barbour has moved to zip out linings.

I also like coats that have zippers plus buttons or snaps to close a storm flap. Mmmmm- toasty! You can also ignore the zipper and just use the buttons if it suits you.

Joel

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have an old wax jacket that I bought in the Cotswolds when I was tooling around England in 1994. I have faithfully re-proofed it myself every year since and it is still going strong. Made in England under the name "Country Trader". I think I paid about $45.00 for it back then on sale in the summertime. I didn't have much money then (poor student), but I was staying with my aunt who convinced me it was a great deal. I'm glad I bought and still have that jacket.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ordering LLB coat on line became too much for me as well, I liked the plaid lining but was not sure which it was. Then found a Barbour Beaufort on ebay and went with it. Like both coats and find no reason to argue for an update of the LLB, but am well pleased with Barbour.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Barbour vs LLB

Ordering LLB coat on line became too much for me as well, I liked the plaid lining but was not sure which it was. Then found a Barbour Beaufort on ebay and went with it. Like both coats and find no reason to argue for an update of the LLB, but am well pleased with Barbour.
Barbour is a higher grade coat
worth the $$

Thorvald ;)

PS Anyone gone into full
size LLB Store & had clerk
tell you they don't carry
everything in the catalog :eek:

·
Registered
545 Posts
I just bought the LLBean Town and Field Coat its a waxed coat very much like a Barbour except the liner is permanent so probably wouldn't work in the summer. Great coat, great fit (not a tent like the Barbour) and at $149 on sale I think it was a hell of a good buy!

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I just bought the LLBean Town and Field Coat its a waxed coat very much like a Barbour except the liner is permanent so probably wouldn't work in the summer. Great coat, great fit (not a tent like the Barbour) and at $149 on sale I think it was a hell of a good buy!
i have something like that from about 10 years ago. I've never needed to re-wax it, and I've spent those years in NW Connecticut and upstate NY.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts

Most consumers demand updates, replacements, or just newness in general. Many have lived their entire lives (including myself) in a time when there was no actual need to conserve or repair anything. Buying something new has become like a sport, so manufacturers produce far more than what we need and create what, in Logic class, would be called "a distinction without a difference" so that we discard our perfectly good products and upgrade.
Exactly right, and thank God. If everyone demanded quality as opposed to quantity and stuck with what worked instead of what's new, the thrift stores would be barren. Instead, when Uncle Joe The Lawyer dies, his classic clothes end up at Goodwill and then on my back. My wife and I are fairly far apart in terms of fashion sense. She's amazed when I buy stuff in junk stores that doesn't fit and flip it, when her no-longer-wanted Prada, etc. sells for pennies on the dollar on ebay. And, in case she's reading this, there's nothing wrong with Prada. Just not my cuppa tea.:eek:

·
Registered
765 Posts
The original Original Field Coat came lined in cotton with a game pocket. I think arount 1990 or so they introduced a model without the game pocket, but with a button-in green wool liner.

I stopped wearing my field coat about 20 years ago when J Crew, Lands End, and others copied the design and started selling them as Barn Coats/Jackets. At that time they seemed to become a bit of a woman's jacket or a mommy coat.

I now wear a Filson tincloth Upland Jacket (style no longer made) or a Barbour Gamefair, Moorland, or Beaufort - depending on the need. For actual upland shooting, I wear a technical garment as all of the above are impractical, in my experience, for any extensive hunting.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.