Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when LLB will be coming out with this season's Shetlands? I was going to make an early xmas present to myself, but all they have on their website are the remnants of last years' clearance stock

Jim

·
Registered
997 Posts
Does anyone know when LLB will be coming out with this season's Shetlands? I was going to make an early xmas present to myself, but all they have on their website are the remnants of last years' clearance stock

Jim
I was on the phone with Customer Service the other day about another issue and asked the rep about this. She couldn't give me a clear answer.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
They don't have all of the same items from year to year...so it's possible they are not running Shetlands this season. Typically all the sweaters would be released for fall, which would be in late summer.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
LL Bean’s latest Shetland sweaters have been offered via its website for at least several weeks. Alas, they are all of the quarter-zip style rather than the traditional crewneck. The only crewneck Shetland currently available is a holdover from last season: oatmeal Donegal in size medium.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I seriously doubt they’re doing crewneck Shetlands this year, in previous years they’ve been released around September/October with all the other sweaters. I also haven’t seen the ragg wool crewneck offered in a solid texture in several years, I hope they bring that back at some point- I only have the oatmeal and would love to add a couple more.

·
Registered
450 Posts
...for $100 more than the Bean ones run, at which point you're in O'Connell's territory. I have two LLB Shetlands- sure, they're not as nice as my Bill's Shetlands, but they're the best at that price point imho.
I see a Bean Shetland as the trad equivalent of a sweatshirt. It's not an investment piece, just wear it and wear it out. Low maintenance and casual.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I see a Bean Shetland as the trad equivalent of a sweatshirt. It's not an investment piece, just wear it and wear it out. Low maintenance and casual.
This is the view I've always had (I think I made the exact same statement 3-4 years ago on here lol). I will say that I prefer saddle shoulders if available due to strictly aesthetics, but for $40-$50, I don't mind the Bean construction at all. I have 2 LLB, 2 Brooks (Red Fleece), and 4 Bill's Shetlands- though they were all purchased at the same price range, I actually prefer the LLB to the more expensive Brooks- the LLB is a slightly thicker wool.

Regarding wearing it out- I still try to take good enough care of mine with the idea that I'll be able to wear them in the nursing home (I know they probably won't last that long, but I'm not going to beat them up). That said, the Bills are noticeably sturdier than the Bean or Brooks sweaters- they're comfortable, but the thickness and tight weave make the wool almost rigid. As long as moths don't get to them (I have basically a forest-worth of cedar in my closet to prevent that), I think the Bills will last many years

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
⇧ I agree, Bean is a fair price for a fair product that you wear, wear out and move on. It's the same way I feel about my Red Fleece one from BB.

I don't own a Bills, but I do own two O'Connell's and those are meaningfully better made and, IMHO, worth the extra money as they look better (my girlfriend noticed without me saying anything - she says they "just look better") and will last much longer. One practical example of their better quality - their wrist and waist bands don't stretch out of shape the way the less-expensive Bean and BB ones do.

My next Shetland purchase is driven more by wanting to have an Ivy-era experience than anything else, so I'm going to purchase a J.Press Shaggy Dog assuming I can find one that I like sub $200 on a post-xmas sale.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
⇧ I agree, Bean is a fair price for a fair product that you wear, wear out and move on. It's the same way I feel about my Red Fleece one from BB.

I don't own a Bills, but I do own two O'Connell's and those are meaningfully better made and, IMHO, worth the extra money as they look better (my girlfriend noticed without me saying anything - she says they "just look better") and will last much longer. One practical example of their better quality - their wrist and waist bands don't stretch out of shape the way the less-expensive Bean and BB ones do.

My next Shetland purchase is driven more by wanting to have an Ivy-era experience than anything else, so I'm going to purchase a J.Press Shaggy Dog assuming I can find one that I like sub $200 on a post-xmas sale.
I think the shaggy dog is really the one ivy staple I don't currently own- after my Barbour purchase (and incoming Alden shell penny loafers, assuming I can get my size dialed in), I have all the bases covered except for that. What color are you looking at?

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
I have that sweater in the same color. If you purchase it, you won't be sorry. You'll also never be cold while wearing it. Guaranteed.
Thanks - that helps. I had to talk myself into spending $165 for O'Connell's Shetland and don't regret it one bit (and, even, bought a second one), but $245 for the J.Press one is a bridge too far for me, especially for a not-high-end-cashmere sweater. Hence, I'll watch for a sale and, sub $200, I'll pull the trigger. Love the light gray - a perfect "light" winter color IMHO.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^In the past,
I occasionally went crazy and purchased (some rather pricey) sweaters that incorporated more colorful and/or dramatic fabric patterns in the design, thinking, at the time of purchase, my-oh-my...am I going to look splendiferous in that! But alas, as the realities of ownership set in, those more extreme designs sat folded in my closet, mostly unworn, as I continued my more conservative, old reliable sweater designs (solid grey, green, navy, tan and heather). LOL. ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
^^In the past,
I occasionally went crazy and purchased (some rather pricey) sweaters that incorporated more colorful and/or dramatic fabric patterns in the design, thinking, at the time of purchase, my-oh-my...am I going to look splendiferous in that! But alas, as the realities of ownership set in, those more extreme designs sat folded in my closet, mostly unworn, as I continued my more conservative, old reliable sweater designs (solid grey, green, navy, tan and heather). LOL. ;)
This is good advice. I've always loved argyle sweaters, but other than playing golf I find them hard to wear regularly. They stand out to much and leave an impression.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.