Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had good experience washing them in a washing machine?

·
Registered
327 Posts
My wife washes mine in a normal cycle (cool water) and line dries them without issue. (I learned the hard way, in that the first time I bought BB wools and forgot to warn her; into the dryer they went, emerging microsized....)

I buy all the BB argyle socks every season (i.e. wool in the fall, cotton in the spring)...there seems to have been some quality variations over the years, as there have been some differences in how well they launder. Regardless, the results have always been acceptable to me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been following the guidelines they come with ("machine wash warm, do not bleach, tumble dry low") without any problems. I've only recently started buying wool argyles from BB, though, and haven't put the ones I have through many wash cycles yet, so I don't know how they'll hold up over time.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
BB Argyles

I just bought six pair and have washed three so far. They seem to wash and dry in the dryer pretty well and I have not seen excessive shrinkage. They do seem a little thinner than argyles I have bought in the past from other vendors.
Tom

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just bought six pair and have washed three so far. They seem to wash and dry in the dryer pretty well and I have not seen excessive shrinkage. They do seem a little thinner than argyles I have bought in the past from other vendors.
Tom
I don't know where BB sources its argyles from, but this year's (2008) wools do indeed seem thinner than last year's. I usually pick them all up in bulk each year to get the best discount from BB I can but always separately wash a single pair to see if there were any significant changes (and in case I need to take the rest back as a result). Never had to return any, but there are year-to-year differences.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After wearing my BB argyles a couple of times I've noticed they fall down my leg easily. Should a wash/low dry help this?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crew length. I got a pair of cotton OTCs but the in store selection was primarily restricted to crew length wool.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Crew length will almost always creep down. I bought a pair of Marcolino arglyes in crew length cotton and from the first wearing they crept down. very disappointing. I thought they made a quality sock. For $35 for OTC I hope they stay up. I am afraid to try them now.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have BB wool socks in both crew and OTC and have found that for me, the OTC are not worth the small premium charged for them. That is, they are not truly over-the-calf in the first place and really don't stay up any better than the crew. The crew stay up reasonably well for me (as well as any other brands I've tried) but they certainly aren't taut on the calf.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^Thanks Uncle Mac, once out of school I'll make the investment.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have BB wool socks in both crew and OTC and have found that for me, the OTC are not worth the small premium charged for them. That is, they are not truly over-the-calf in the first place and really don't stay up any better than the crew. The crew stay up reasonably well for me (as well as any other brands I've tried) but they certainly aren't taut on the calf.
I would heartily agree. The merino wool argyle OTC socks are not long enough brand new to be OTC. It shrinks a bit after wash (I wash mine gentle cycle cold water and line dry) and essentially becomes an ankle length socks.

Not worth even the sale price I paid for them ($11)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Though we normally dry my wool socks on low, I may try line-drying them instead. I own several pairs of B2 wool argyles, but I have never been overly impressed with the quality. They shrink and don't wear very well IMO (of course, that may have something to do with the fact that I wear loafers most of the time...which can wear down sock heels faster than you can say "Blagojevich"). The cotton argyles seem to wash and wear better.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I find the BB anklets to be of low quality for a few years at least. I was on a long quest for a good sock. Among the things I tried:

PRL: hit or miss--varies with the sock
BB: droopy after a wash or two, poor quality IMHO
Smartwool: pills like crazy at the heel, and everywhere else over time
Burlington: got these from Soxpopuli. Actually pretty decent merino at an ok price point, but a little thin.
Pantherella: better than the previous I listed, but still hit or miss depending on the exact sock. Merino tends to be a bit more consistent and good quality.
Marcoliani: perfection. They wash well, and seem perfect. Merino is great, and the cotton sock wicks moisture better than than any I have worn. i had given up on cotton for socks because wool seems to breathe much better, but these do well. AK and O'Connells have a great selection and even better service.

I have not tried BS yet, but I am thinking I will convert to 100% Marcoliani.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I find the BB anklets to be of low quality for a few years at least. I was on a long quest for a good sock. Among the things I tried:

PRL: hit or miss--varies with the sock
BB: droopy after a wash or two, poor quality IMHO
Smartwool: pills like crazy at the heel, and everywhere else over time
Burlington: got these from Soxpopuli. Actually pretty decent merino at an ok price point, but a little thin.
Pantherella: better than the previous I listed, but still hit or miss depending on the exact sock. Merino tends to be a bit more consistent and good quality.
Marcoliani: perfection. They wash well, and seem perfect. Merino is great, and the cotton sock wicks moisture better than than any I have worn. i had given up on cotton for socks because wool seems to breathe much better, but these do well. AK and O'Connells have a great selection and even better service.

I have not tried BS yet, but I am thinking I will convert to 100% Marcoliani.
Thumbs up for Marcoliani wool argyles

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like O'Connells has the best price for the selection. How do the crew socks do in staying up, or do you only purchase OTC?

·
Registered
643 Posts
About half of mine are anklet, and they don't seem to have any problem staying up. The BB seem to be the droopiest sock I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I've been receiving BB argyles for Christmas gifts from my great aunt since sophomore year of high school (not too long ago). I've always machine washed them and dried them on low heat and they've been fine in that regard.

Their durability is disappointing though; I highly recommend sticking to lace-ups while wearing them.

I think there was a thread about BB argyles a while back, maybe a year or so ago? That might offer some additional insight.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.