Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who don't get the mailings, BB has a clearance of winter merch going on now...many items discounted even more than during the Dec 26 sale. Sweaters, coats, seasonal stuff is really heavily discounted. Not sure how long it lasts, but it's live on the website now.

Danny

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it seems slightly deeper than in times past, but they are owned by a mega parent company so...

It's just funny when you see them mark something down by 70% and you know they're still making a profit on it...you realize the huge markup for full price.

It's like a big game of chicken. Seems slightly incongruous for places like BB and Press, but in the age of internet shopping and instant information, price is always on people's minds. There was a time when you just went in to a store and bought something and that was it. Now the complexity of sales and comparison shopping will haunt you to the grave:)

Oh well, I suppose if I were totally loaded I wouldn't care about the prices so much, but I'm not there [yet:)]

Danny

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I snagged a couple of the merino half-zip mock sweaters a couple days ago. I called on Saturday morning, but they were nice enough to give me the sale price (which according to the catalog, didn't go into affect until Monday). For a little more than $100, it was a great deal.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I remember this shoe being discussed a while back. It was concluded, that the shoe was obviously not a blucher, and thus those at BB weren't as conscious about their clothing details as the members of AAAC.
Great, glad I'm learning something. =)

TMMKC, sweaters were the only thing that looked interesting on the sale. I'm going to be in KC today or tomorrow and will check out what they have left.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I really wish I would have picked up one of the Poplin suits when they dropped to $120 for about ten minutes a month ago. Still at $200 which is not bad at all but I was holding a candle that they'd drop back down again... Anyone know if I have a reasonable chance of picking up the clearance stuff shown online if I go into an actual store? I assume the sale will be the same, the question is if the goods will be there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My clearance find...

I picked up a sport coat from last year that I have been (patiently) eyeing - 2 button, black & white plaid with red windowpane, made in Italy of LP fabric. $274 marked down from $548.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...I've been receiving so many emails from BB and other retailers that I've gotten in the habit of deleting them. These lambswool crewneck sweaters seem like a pretty good deal:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa..._Id=1382691&Parent_Id=305&default_color=Cocoa
Those look pretty good, esp. for that price. Note, though, that the sleeves are set-in (joined at the shoulder, like a shirt) and not saddle or raglan.

BB did not have its usual selection of solid color Shetlands this year. I bought three in the past two years on sale at about $49 per. Perhaps these lambswools have taken their place?

I wonder if they had problems sourcing the wool? Mine say "knit in Scotland". I've always assumed that meant that the yeard was knit is Scotland and then sent to HK for fashioning into the sweaters....

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those look pretty good, esp. for that price. Note, though, that the sleeves are set-in (joined at the shoulder, like a shirt) and not saddle or raglan.

BB did not have its usual selection of solid color Shetlands this year. I bought three in the past two years on sale at about $49 per. Perhaps these lambswools have taken their place?

I wonder if they had problems sourcing the wool? Mine say "knit in Scotland". I've always assumed that meant that the yeard was knit is Scotland and then sent to HK for fashioning into the sweaters....
Well yarn is 'spun' and a sweater is 'knit'...so I wouldn't be so sure. I remember those Shetlands from last year as well, I have a couple of them. I believe them to be made in Scotland completely. Still, I have some really nice Brooks and Bean sweater that 'were' made in China...so I don't regard a Chinese made sweater as any worse....unless of course it is worse.

Danny

·
Registered
327 Posts

It seems like BB varies their sweater styles year-to-year simply to provide different offerings....e.g. the solid color Shetlands this year are all button vests (which I think turned out really well and are a good buy for the clearance price of $36) instead of last year's long sleeve crewnecks. Similarly, last year, the lambswools were v-necks, this year they are the crewnecks that are being referenced. More like an annual rotation of styles rather than replacement....

Just a quick note on the shetland button vests...if anyone picks any up, check how securely the buttons are sewn on...I bought several of these vests and dad the tailor reinforce the stitching a bit...

·
Registered
446 Posts
It seems like BB varies their sweater styles year-to-year simply to provide different offerings....e.g. the solid color Shetlands this year are all button vests (which I think turned out really well and are a good buy for the clearance price of $36) instead of last year's long sleeve crewnecks. Similarly, last year, the lambswools were v-necks, this year they are the crewnecks that are being referenced. More like an annual rotation of styles rather than replacement....

Just a quick note on the shetland button vests...if anyone picks any up, check how securely the buttons are sewn on...I bought several of these vests and dad the tailor reinforce the stitching a bit...
I bought one of the shetland vests, and my buttons at least are sewn on well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.