Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me a quick rundown of the differences between the 3 types of BB undershirts? They range from $30 all the way up to $130 or something. I've heard that they make them extra-long, which is what I'm looking for. All my undershirts seem to end up as belly-shirts after a few months. I do find it strange that the most expensive one is the only one with a tag.

Thanks.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Can someone give me a quick rundown of the differences between the 3 types of BB undershirts? They range from $30 all the way up to $130 or something. I've heard that they make them extra-long, which is what I'm looking for. All my undershirts seem to end up as belly-shirts after a few months. I do find it strange that the most expensive one is the only one with a tag.

Thanks.
The cheapest version is actually $34.50 for three, and they frequently go on sale. That's the kind I wear, and I'm very pleased with them. After five years, I don't think I've ever had to toss one for being worn out.

I have some Country Club boxers, and the material is finer. The standard boxers have continuous elastic while the CC have buttons at the front. I would think that the undershirts are also a finer material.

The $145 Sea Island undershirts are for people who buy $2,000 suits and think that they should invest a proportionate amount of money on everything else they wear. There is apparently a market for underwear this expensive (Zimmerli and Hanro are still in business), but I consider it almost a novelty item.

· Registered
112 Posts
I recently switched from Hanes to BB undershirts and I will never go back. They seem more expensive on the front end, but they last so much longer. They are softer, breathe better, don't shrink, and are very long (gone are the days when my undershirt came untucked inside my dress shirt). Not sure if the more expensive ones in the BB line are "better", but I like their cheaper shirts just fine.

· Registered
9 Posts
I recently switched from Hanes to BB undershirts and I will never go back. They seem more expensive on the front end, but they last so much longer. They are softer, breathe better, don't shrink, and are very long (gone are the days when my undershirt came untucked inside my dress shirt). Not sure if the more expensive ones in the BB line are "better", but I like their cheaper shirts just fine.
I switched from Hanes to BB, but then to Wickers. If you can deal with non-cotton material (especially good for hot, humid weather), you will like Wickers. And it may not matter to you, but they are made in the US.

Wickers is running a 20% off special this week:

Just enter "WARM09" at checkout and save 20% now thru Feb. 6th.

· Registered
768 Posts
The most expensive ones are not made by Zimmerli. I own about 30 of the crew- and v-neck versions-- they are fantastic! The best I have ever seen-- much better than Zimmerli. (I like Zimmerli A LOT and have many of their t-shirts and boxers.) They are made in Germany of Sea Island cotton spun in Switzerland. The fabric is to die for.

Sure they are expensive, but Brooks has deals almost all of the time-- I haven't paid full price there on anything in years.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The most expensive ones are not made by Zimmerli. I own about 30 of the crew- and v-neck versions-- they are fantastic! The best I have ever seen-- much better than Zimmerli. (I like Zimmerli A LOT and have many of their t-shirts and boxers.) They are made in Germany of Sea Island cotton spun in Switzerland. The fabric is to die for.

Sure they are expensive, but Brooks has deals almost all of the time-- I haven't paid full price there on anything in years.
You own 30+ undershirts that retail for $145!? :crazy:

· Registered
616 Posts

I have both the BB SIC and the Zimmerli Royal Classic, and I agree that the BB is noticable better in fabric, construction, and fit. It's not even a close contest- I only wear the Zimmerli if all the BB are in the wash.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Have been wearing the BB undershirts for a number of years now. One interesting comment I can make is that the older models (i.e. the ones with the separate tag, as opposed to the printed on tag) seem to feel a bit finer and luxurious.

· Registered
416 Posts
Brass tacks:
1 Hanes are ring spun carded cotton
2 BB are combed cotton
3 Lands End are Combed cotton, and have a better collar than the BB ones
4 The expensive BB ones are Double Mercerized - the thread is treated with Lye, then the cloth is streched and then treated again with Lye

· Registered
416 Posts
A Hanes company, Outer Banks, makes a double mercerized T-Shirt for $20

Outer Banks by Hanes Double-Mercerized Pima Cotton Mock-Neck Men's T-Shirt

Style OB7089
$20.00

· Registered
112 Posts
I switched from Hanes to BB, but then to Wickers. If you can deal with non-cotton material (especially good for hot, humid weather), you will like Wickers. And it may not matter to you, but they are made in the US.

Wickers is running a 20% off special this week:

Just enter "WARM09" at checkout and save 20% now thru Feb. 6th.
What would be the negative of non-cotton?

· Registered
119 Posts
I wish they came in light gray - my pet peeve is seeing my undershirt shine through my dress shirt.

Anyone know of a source of good, non-white undershirts?
GAP makes gray undershirts. There not as good as they used to be, but are serviceable. I always keep a few on hand for just that purpose.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
I know people are fond of BB undershirts but try Polo undershirts as well. They are very long and for those of us that like to tuck our u/shirts into our boxers they work very well. You can get them at Macy's and right now I believe everything there, including the staff, are on sale.

· Registered
331 Posts
I wish they came in light gray - my pet peeve is seeing my undershirt shine through my dress shirt.

Anyone know of a source of good, non-white undershirts?
I remember reading somewhere, awhile back, that supposedly white undershirts are the least visible beneath a dress shirt. Grey undershirts are more likely to be seen. Something to do with the way different colors absorb different spectra of light, or something like that.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, which I might be.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
I know people are fond of BB undershirts but try Polo undershirts as well. They are very long and for those of us that like to tuck our u/shirts into our boxers they work very well. You can get them at Macy's and right now I believe everything there, including the staff, are on sale.
I went from Polo to Nordstrom to Brooks. I agree with the other poster that said that the Polo get shorter over time.

Here in Atlanta Macy's is running a special on administrative staff - 800 to be pushed out the door, no reasonable offer refused.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.