Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been interested in the Black/White Herringbone Sport Coat and the Tan Donegal Sport Coat from Brooks Brothers (pictures below). The salesman from the local BB store called yesterday and indicated that he has managed to locate these garments in the elusive 38 short size that I wear and is having it shipped to his store. The manager of the store indicated that since I discussed these items with her last weekend, she would still honor the 25% corporate discount, making these items about $300 each. What you do you gentlemen think? I am going to go try them out when they come in.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
You will be getting a very nice jacket at a remarkably good price. Given the difficulty of finding your size, I would be inclined to pick both up at the offered price. However, if you've a good dose of gambler in your soul, you might go for the black/white Herringbone at $300 and wait for the tan Donegal to go on clearance. It seems to me that I've seen a sport coat like the tan Donegal on clearance for $199. Though, at this point, I'm not sure if it was originally a retail or an outlet offering. The bottom line, the black/white Herringbone is a classic...get it now!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recommendation! Given that my size is almost always sold out or unavailable, I am inclined to pick up both of them if they fit.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentlemen, I just received a call from the BB store downtown that these coats have arrived in my size. I suspect that they will require significant waist suppression and some sleeve alteration. My question is - should I have these done at the BB store itself or should I take possession of these garments and have then done elsewhere? Are the in-house alterations at BB of good quality?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Gentlemen, I just received a call from the BB store downtown that these coats have arrived in my size. I suspect that they will require significant waist suppression and some sleeve alteration. My question is - should I have these done at the BB store itself or should I take possession of these garments and have then done elsewhere? Are the in-house alterations at BB of good quality?
The quality of the tailoring varies from store to store; so if you can try to speak to some folks who also shop at your store. That being said, sleeve alterations and taking in the waist are not the most complex procedures for most tailors or good seamstresses.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! If anyone if familiar with the downtown Portland store, I would appreciate comments on their alteration quality. I am not too worried about the sleeves but I don't want them to botch the waist.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
If the alterations are included then go ahead and have BB do the work. If they screw up (not likely) then they would be responsible and you would not be out any $. If they charge for the alterations then take them to your own tailor or one that you know will do a good job.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
While I am not familiar with BB in Portland, I would take them before a "tailor in a mall".

(Just in case you do not get a recommendation by someone in Portland).
There's a mall tailor here in Atlanta that's excellent. But she's certainly not typical.
I did not mean that tailors with stores in malls are bad.

The intention was to describe a tailor that comes without recommendation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.