Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I would love to get some opinions on these two coats before I make a final decision. I'm just trying to figure out which one would look better/be more versatile with my wardrobe of mostly charcoal and navy pants (looking good with jeans and chinos wouldn't hurt either).

The first is a grey flannel (but not a heavy flannel) "blazer", and the second is a darker grey with a very subtle blue/purple windowpane pattern:

Any thoughts on either of these...or should I avoid both? Thank you for any advice/opinions you can offer.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Personally I'm not sure that I think either one of them would look good with navy pants. I think that the grey flannel might be a little more versatile, especially if you were going to throw black pants into the mix; and probably even if you aren't. It would also pair better with jeans in my opinion, since you did ask.

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
They both look very nice, but I like the one on the right a little better. I really like side flap pockets, so that's why I lean to the one on the right.
I prefer without flaps, or flaps tucked in; plus I like the button and style of the example on the left and it could be worn in a casual style with chinos and jeans.

As for the colour, do not see it as a problem, especially when wearing casually. When wearing with navy trousers, the blazer works because it is a lighter shade. As long as you restrict it to smart, smart-casual and orsemi-formal ocassions, it will work well.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the grey flannel with patch pockets. Plus, it appears to lack darts, so all the more reason to buy it.

Cheers and enjoy whichever jacket you buy.
I love darting, it gives your body definition. Jackets look bulky on me if there isn't darting. I probably would not buy the jacket on the left due to the lack there of.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The one on the right looks better on the model. The one on the left would probably work better w/ the pants your talking about and definitely work better in a more casual setting. I think it the deciding factor though would be weather the less tailored cut on the left fits you better.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Personally, I don't care much for patch pockets, ....

so I would choose the one on the right. I must say, I am vehemently against wearing jeans with a jacket, if this means anything. I wear jeans, but only in running errands or to the car wash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your advice. I do believe that the flannel jacket has darts - I'll have to take a look at it again though. I would probably have to have the sides brought in on either one - I have an 8-9 inch drop, and it seems all the jackets that I try on have a fair amount of room around the midsection that I don't need.

I'm also not a huge fan of the jeans/jacket look, but I'm in my mid 20's, I figure I can get away with it every now and again when going out on a Friday or Saturday.

I'd be more concerned about wearing it at work (with charcoal pants and medium grey mostly - sometimes navy). I think the grey flannel would be more versatile in that respect (if it would be appropriate for work at all) - I think the darker grey jacket wouldn't contrast enough with charcoal pants.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
You said you are in your mid 20's, so I would go with the more casual jacket on the left. The pockets dictate a more casual look. Your wardrobe already says that the lighter gray will look better with the slacks you have. Also, you can trhough in a pair of Navy or Black cords, Forest green cords, or even a maroon or cranberry cord. I wear jacks and jeans on weekends all the time. In LA it is almost a mandatory requirement as no one wears trousers to the casual, restaurants in town. I like the look if it is done right. Great shirt, Great shoes and nice jeans with a sportcoat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.