Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having never been to one, what can I expect from a BB Factory Store outlet in terms of product and price?

Second, is the merchandise there on sale, or simply permanently discounted. I ask out of curiousity with regard to the 15% discount card, since it apparently is not good on sale items.

·
Registered
424 Posts
no Black Fleece, lots of made for the outlet 246 stuff, regular store prices on some accessories. Didn't see any shoes at Cabazon when I was last there. Prices higher on some things than the 60% in store sale. Some people swear by this store for staples, and there are apparently some where seconds get dumped cheap. But at my store, pretty disappointing. I believe the discount card works there.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
About 95%+ of the stuff in the store will be labeled "346" and will hence be lower-quality stuff made purposely for outlet sale.

Occasionally you may get lucky and stumble across a recent shipment of mainline stuff from a few seasons ago, but such occasions are rare and hard to predict.

In fairness to the BB outlets, I have to admit that on occasion a piece of the 346 stuff can be a pleasant surprise. Last month I picked up an all-wool, lightweight 346 sportsjacket in a fine houndstooth "gun club" check that fits like a glove and has just the cut (2btn w/ significant waist suppression) that I like. It was labeled "Made in Jordan" and went for $117 under the discounts in effect on that day. I snapped it up and look forward to wearing it once we get some real spring weather around here.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Brooks' Factory Stores are the third level of a 3-level merchandising structure. The full Brooks Brothers stores sell merchandise made specifically for them, at the highest prices and arguably the highest quality. The 346 stores sell a mid-level line of merchandise at significantly lower prices and somewhat lesser quality-mostly in terms of richness of fabric and some construction compromises. Finally, the Factory Stores sell at an even lower price point and again with somewhat less quality. All three offer fair value for the dollars spent but each is sourced separately and each mainains a different cost structure and service level. In some instances the Factory Stores may receive overstocks or past-season items from the full line stores but these are not their mainstays. Complicating it even further, Brooks has a few Country Club and Black Fleece stand-alone stores that specialize in those categories.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Frankly, I can tell very little difference between my mainline BB and the 346 line. In fact, my 346 shirts sometimes outlast my mainline BB ones.

There once was a rack of shirts at a 346 store I was shopping at with a mixture of BB and the "lower" offerings. I looked close. For a long time. The only difference I could see was that the BB shirts had BB on the buttons; the others didn't.

I suspect that the place where you're going to find the most difference is in the suits, and the garments that require the most work.

I'm really not sure the premium price equals the premium product.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Only IMHO, I find BB outlet shirts and overcoats to be awful. Sportcoats are up and down, so you can find some real gems. Sweaters are often very good, and it has been suggested on other threads that they are mostly the same as what is offered in the retail stores. Bill

·
Banned
661 Posts
The 346 and outlet stores look the same to me with the exception of the outlets having some overstocks and defects from the regular stores. I usually go to the regular brooks as it is more convenient, although in the 90s, I bought a lot from the outlet (pre-346). I still go to 346 occasionally when I am at the suburban mall.

The 346 ties are pretty decent quality. I can't see much of a difference from the store. Their shirts are the 32-33, 34-35 which does not work for me. Their suits are of lesser quality in terms of fabric and quality, but they are still not bad and I have a few that have held up nicely. I also have a few pairs of wool gab slacks that have held up extremely well. Casual clothes are not bad either. All in all, I think the 346/outlet stores deserve more credit than they get on this board.

You will see some trad clothing at 346, but I have never noticed a sack suit or sportcoat.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can't tell any difference between the one 346 shirt I have and the other BB shirts. Except for the fact that the 346 is, as earlier stated, a 34-35, and since I wear a 34, that's a deal breaker for me (I just got it because it was a great pattern, and cheap). I'm quite jealous of all you out there with odd size sleeves... you just have to deal with the extra button.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
The 346 and outlet stores look the same to me with the exception of the outlets having some overstocks and defects from the regular stores. I usually go to the regular brooks as it is more convenient, although in the 90s, I bought a lot from the outlet (pre-346). I still go to 346 occasionally when I am at the suburban mall.

The 346 ties are pretty decent quality. I can't see much of a difference from the store. Their shirts are the 32-33, 34-35 which does not work for me. Their suits are of lesser quality in terms of fabric and quality, but they are still not bad and I have a few that have held up nicely. I also have a few pairs of wool gab slacks that have held up extremely well. Casual clothes are not bad either. All in all, I think the 346/outlet stores deserve more credit than they get on this board.

You will see some trad clothing at 346, but I have never noticed a sack suit or sportcoat.
On the 346 ties, a clerk at the Potomac Mills outlet told me that they are made in the same Queens, NY, factory (owned by BB) as the mainline ties, often from the same silks, but that the grade of wool in the interlining is not as choice, and the 346s are purely machine-made, with no handwork at all.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Of 346 shirts there is one tiny section, usually toward the back of the store that sells non-non-iron ocbds, foreign made. Other than that tiny section, every shirt is non-iron. I am surprised to hear people compare mainline and outlet shirts favorably.

346 merchandise is crap, almost 100% of it.

The BB outlets at which I shop (Clinton, Conn. and Woodbridge Va.) with some regularity have castoffs from the main store. Usually ties, sometimes boxer shorts, the occasional sweater. Sometimes you stumble across the amazing finds. Last year, a three-piece British made, fine-wale brown cord suit. Really stunning and for a song (and a whole rack of them). If I had had the capital, I would have bought the lot and resold on ebay. I've seen sacks at both locations. Boxes of Peals.

Bottom line, save up your pennies for mainline shopping, but don't skip the outlet for the rare finds at good prices.

Now, onto the next trolling thread.

JB

·
Registered
275 Posts
I stopped going into the BB Outlet Store years ago (Kenosha, WI). I never found anything worthwhile other that one belt (black leather dress belt) for $6. That's right SIX DOLLARS. I am still wearing the belt 7 years later.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It depends upon the item. I have seen very nice loro piana fabric in outlet jackets, and more detail work than in some of the retail jackets. It is entirely possible that some items designed for retail get mis labled and sent to factory - I am almost certain I have seen at least one case of this.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all those who replied. I was hoping I would find a 'true' outlet of mainline merchandise, but it sounds like 346 and lesser clothes. I still plan a sstop, but my expectations are tempered.

·
Banned
661 Posts
Of 346 shirts there is one tiny section, usually toward the back of the store that sells non-non-iron ocbds, foreign made. Other than that tiny section, every shirt is non-iron. I am surprised to hear people compare mainline and outlet shirts favorably.

346 merchandise is crap, almost 100% of it.

Now, onto the next trolling thread.

JB
The lack of non-non iron shirts can just as easily be said about a regular brooks store. The ties at the outlets compare pretty favorably with the BB "regular stores".

Much of the 346 merchandise is crap, but "almost 100%" is a little over the top.

I do not see this thread as "trolling".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.