Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Folks:

Recently I sold this Brooks Brothers top coat on ebay.

When the buyer received it, he said that it had no label and that the sale was fraudulent.

I noted that although the larger label at the back of the neck was no longer there, the smaller label from the inside pocket (listing picture included above) has S BROS on it, which on this narrow label, was part of BROOKS BROS.

To support this, I included pictures from a Brooks Brothers sack I was also selling:

In response, he accused me of perpetrating a fraud not on one garment, but two.

Many of you wear Brooks Brothers coats, so I ask you, have you ever seen this inside label with BROOKS BROS on your own coats? If you saw it, would you consider it a mark of authenticity?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You are a devious individual. You produce, rusticate, and then sew these labels into the clothing you pass off as Brooks Brothers!

I do note that the label in the overcoat does not have a period after "Bros" as does the sports coat.

But they look genuine to me.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I do not want to cast aspersions on the buyer but I do not see any fraud. I think the buyer does not have the experience with these garments.

Used garments are not going to have all the tags.

I found a jacket at the Salvation Army that had a Brooks Bros tag in the pocket and that was the only way to ID it.

My own top coat label says "oks brothers" it is just the way they sewed the tag. Looks very much like your first picture. It also has the full name on the collar tag.

This is the manufacture that matches the number in your top coat.

5825 SPILMONT COAT CO

Dear Folks:

Recently I sold this Brooks Brothers top coat on ebay.

When the buyer received it, he said that it had no label and that the sale was fraudulent.

I noted that although the larger label at the back of the neck was no longer there, the smaller label from the inside pocket (listing picture included above) has S BROS on it, which on this narrow label, was part of BROOKS BROS.

To support this, I included pictures from a Brooks Brothers sack I was also selling:

In response, he accused me of perpetrating a fraud not on one garment, but two.

Many of you wear Brooks Brothers coats, so I ask you, have you ever seen this inside label with BROOKS BROS on your own coats? If you saw it, would you consider it a mark of authenticity?

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
They are thumbnails with links to larger-format pix.

Just click on them.
Ah, so they are.

I'm with PJC, just uncover more of the label.

But I have bought at least a dozen items from you and will state publicly that you are completely reputable.

This guy's just trying to get a free ride. You're going to get negative feedback from him anyway, so you might as well tell him to go take a leap.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
One question: Did you note the missing label in the ad? That might have avoided this situation. I'm talking out of school here, but surely there must be some mechanism to dispute negative feedback. You've offered a return. That seems fair. You might also scrounge up a spare BB label and mail it to him gratis so his tailor can sew it on, if he needs a label to make himself feel whole. If he wants to keep the garment, that speaks volumes. He obviously recognizes the quality and thinks he got it for a fair price.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
One of the things I like about the Brethren is that most of their coats, suits and sportcoats do have their name and size sewn in an interior pocket. Your photos of the label look authentic to me and I've probably seen a couple hundred examples.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Might not be more on the label, but style and printing look like all the BB labels I have on my jackets. Your offer of return seems fair enough. If he wants to keep it then that is at least some suggestion that he is satisfied with your explanation and offer. Not much more that you can do. He probably needed time to digest the info on authenticity and then to accept it as accurate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.