Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is BBGF strictly for suits, or do/did they ever offer where you could buy BBGF sport coats, or order just a jacket?

I have acquired a pre-owned BBGF navy jacket. Its partially lined, 3/2, darted, single vent, pick stitched, and has only two buttons on the sleeves! The buttons aren't kissing, I would say they are spaced about 3/4 a button apart. I am trying to understand if this was likely part of a suit or made as a odd jacket.

I assumed suit, since I always see the BBGF suits, and it seemed since it was partially lined and pick stitched to be so. But on the other hand, the 2 buttons on the sleeve are an interesting twist, as I associate that with more sportcoat/blazer/casual but I understand this was quite common a while back, and BB did alot like that.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
This sounds like a very old garment from the sounds of the buttons.. I could be wrong though, the owner may have just asked for that specifically.. That said, besides the navy blazer, I have not seen a GF sportcoat or blazer, so this may be the coat to a suit..

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There are Golden Fleece sportcoats. I wore one today. Great stuff.

The coat described above sounds to me like an orphaned suit jacket. Not because of the Golden Fleece label, but all of the other signs point in that direction. Nonetheless, it would be easy to have brass buttons put on it and presto!, a blazer would emerge.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
From the description, sounds like it could be either. All my GF sport coats and suit jackets from the late 80's and early 90's fit that description (although I did specifically request 3 buttons on the sleeves of some of my suits and sport coats, and the tailor tracked down the extra buttons down for me; also, I don't think darts appeared on 3-button sack-style jackets until some time in the 90's). For my solid navy sport coats from that time period, however, they had brass buttons (only two, spaced approx. one button width apart). So if your navy jacket is solid, and it has horn buttons on the sleeves, it is more likely that it was a suit jacket.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
^ Interesting, I've never seen one. Any in the current collection/catalogue?
I don't think I've ever seen one in a catalog or online. They only started putting GF suits online in the past couple of years. They always have GF sportcoats at 346, and probably at some of the other big stores as well, but they don't seem to market them the same way they market, say, 1818 sportcoats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.