Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are previous threads which are quite complementary about the BB Dress Shirts with detachable collar. The product is listed here:
https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa..._Id=1180443&Parent_Id=216&default_color=White
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=56117
Several members here (and on SF) describe purchasing these shirts. Those not bought from outlets included what seem to have been identified as a Luke Eyres Winsor Collar (a short stiff detachable winged collar).

I already have a boiled shirt and a detachable collar, but am looking for to purchase one of the BB variety. Previously I was told to go down a half size in the neck of the shirt and use my shirt size for the collar. This ensures that the collar and shirt play well together, and was good advice.

Now my question: If I take a size 16.5 shirt normally, should I get the BB 16.5 or the 16.0? Will the collar size be shifted up appropriately, or is the neck band size shifted down?
Actually the shirt I'm looking at purchasing says "16.5" on the usual brooks red label. Does this mean that it is intended to take a 16.5 stiff collar, or would it require a 17?

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Now my question: If I take a size 16.5 shirt normally, should I get the BB 16.5 or the 16.0? Will the collar size be shifted up appropriately, or is the neck band size shifted down? Actually the shirt I'm looking at purchasing says "16.5" on the usual brooks red label. Does this mean that it is intended to take a 16.5 stiff collar, or would it require a 17?
My understanding is that the Brooks detachable collars are translated for the American market, i.e., the 1/2 size up is already done and the size printed on the inside of the collar is your actual shirt size. For the shirt itself, I think you would take your usual shirt size. That's what worked for me.

When buying additional detachable collars for it, I think you'd go with your regular collar size if buying from Brooks, and 1/2 size up when buying from English vendors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.