Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I live in a warm climate (San Diego), but for periodic travel or the coldest days in winter, I could still use a dress overcoat. I don't have even one right now. I was considering the Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece 100% Cashmere Overcoat. Is this a good choice?

I have tried looking for high end 90% Wool/10% Cashmere or 100% Wool coats for durability reasons, and it seems like I am not seeing many. It seems like all of the top companies are producing 100% cashmere coats for their stores (Canali, Zegna, etc.). I just went through several stores in Beverly Hills and NYC.

Is the coat well made? It seems like a bargain at $1495 (plus whatever corporate discount and sale is going on) compared to $2500-$3500 that Canali and Zegna charge respectively with little to no discount.

It is made of Loro Piana cashmere. My real concern is will this coat hold up if I am careful for many years of use, or will it start pilling and look ratty, etc. I have no experience with 100% cashmere in overcoats and don't know how well they maintain their beautiful new appearance. I know Cashmere varies HIGHLY in quality, but I have to believe Loro Piana makes some of the best for Brooks Brothers. I would think it would be comparable to Canali or Zegna Cashmere in quality.

Also, I thought Vicuna was a very beautiful color for my first coat that would go great with anything.

Thank you for the help!

· Registered
105 Posts
I was in a similar situation a few years agao, and as much as I loved a previous Cashmere coat I had, I found it just didn't hold up well to travel. If you're talking about being on and off a plane, as well as in rental cars etc I found that Cashmere is just too delicate. It won't be a bargain if it only holds up a season or two.

As for Vicuna - GREAT choice! Very classic and looks good with almost everything.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Hello All,

I live in a warm climate (San Diego), but for periodic travel or the coldest days in winter, I could still use a dress overcoat. I don't have even one right now. I was considering the Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece 100% Cashmere Overcoat. Is this a good choice?

I have tried looking for high end 90% Wool/10% Cashmere or 100% Wool coats for durability reasons, and it seems like I am not seeing many. It seems like all of the top companies are producing 100% cashmere coats for their stores (Canali, Zegna, etc.). I just went through several stores in Beverly Hills and NYC.

Is the coat well made? It seems like a bargain at $1495 (plus whatever corporate discount and sale is going on) compared to $2500-$3500 that Canali and Zegna charge respectively with little to no discount.

It is made of Loro Piana cashmere. My real concern is will this coat hold up if I am careful for many years of use, or will it start pilling and look ratty, etc. I have no experience with 100% cashmere in overcoats and don't know how well they maintain their beautiful new appearance. I know Cashmere varies HIGHLY in quality, but I have to believe Loro Piana makes some of the best for Brooks Brothers. I would think it would be comparable to Canali or Zegna Cashmere in quality.

Also, I thought Vicuna was a very beautiful color for my first coat that would go great with anything.

Thank you for the help!
Though I've never enjoyed a cashmere topcoat myself, I have known several people who have, and other than the luxury of the hand, the two most distinctive qualities were that they were very warm and quite delicate. Since the cashmere is woven rather than knit, the wear I observed was just visible wear areas of the nap, such as cuffs, collars, sleeves and seat, rather than pils, as one might observe on knits. But if you intend such a coat only for occasional light duty, I suspect it will most likely provide adequate durability for several seasons.

I have no experience with Loro Piana cashmere, though it seems to enjoy a high reputation. However there have been a couple negative reports about the strength of their woven sheep wool fabrics.

· Registered
109 Posts
at the recent Soiffer haskin sale, i could have bought a Hickey Freeman cashmere coat for 450, but i didn't pull the trigger, because i already have one i bought from nordstrom five years ago. still kicking myself.

· Registered
1,567 Posts
I've found that blends of cashmere and wool, and also camel hair and wool, result in garments that are every bit the equal in appearance and function, and significantly outperform the pure cashmere/pure camel hair garments. I don't mind paying top dollar but paying more for items that will need to be replaced sooner doesn't make sense to me.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, this only confirms that I don't want a 100% cashmere coat for the reasons mentioned.

Now Brooks Brothers does make a Loro Piana Storm System 3/4 length Walking Coat for $598 retail that is VERY nice with beautiful fabric. I was going to buy this in Navy no matter what. I wonder if it is suitable for wearing over a suit too? It is listed under casual coats, yet in person it seemed like it would serve multiple roles.

They make a full length loro piana coat, but it is too casual and soft in cut for a dress overcoat.

I wonder who makes a reasonable price formal loro piana overcoat in storm system at full length and where I could get one? I like Vicuna for color or Charcoal.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I wonder if it is suitable for wearing over a suit too? It is listed under casual coats, yet in person it seemed like it would serve multiple roles.
I think it's intended to worn without a jacket, but if you can get a large enough one, it might work. I'd try it and see.

Don't forget to use your AAAC discount card, and if you wish, you can even visit the Brooks site through Andy's site.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
Now Brooks Brothers does make a Loro Piana Storm System 3/4 length Walking Coat for $598 retail that is VERY nice with beautiful fabric. I was going to buy this in Navy no matter what. I wonder if it is suitable for wearing over a suit too? It is listed under casual coats, yet in person it seemed like it would serve multiple roles.
I have that same coat and while very nice, its a bit too snug to wear over a suit jacket. I don't think they were designed for that purpose.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
I wonder who makes a reasonable price formal loro piana overcoat in storm system at full length and where I could get one? I like Vicuna for color or Charcoal.
I have a full-length black Storm System coat from Brooks Brothers. I couldn't find one exactly like it on the web site, but...

Their "Classic Chesterfield Overcoat" is knee-length on the model and the description says it's 46" long. The "BrooksStorm Long Town Coat" is mid-thigh on the model and the description says it's 45" long.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
A wool/cashmere blend works for me......

My 70% wool, 30% cashmere has seen heavy duty for fifteen years, and it still looks like new. It's a Marzotto who I believe are out of business.

100% cashmere will work if the use is not heavy, but I would never pay the tariff for one at full retail. 50% off would be a reasonable expenditure.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Hello All,

Thank you for the help!
If it is the Golden Fleece made by Greenfield I would buy it. However, I would not expect 20 years of wear out of it. You should be happy with 5+.

Loro Piana makes an excellent cashmere although I have seen better ones. For example,
Oxxford uses the best cashmere that I have seen. It is aptly called "Emperor's Cashmere." However, "Emperor's Cashmere" goes for $4,000+.

Therefore, the stores with higher priced coats might be offering a better cashmere.

I have a couple of cashmere overcoats. One is 12 years old, and the other is about 8. They have held-up rather well.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.