Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been mulling over purchasing the BB cashmere sport coat in black - which looked like a pretty great buy at $573 or so with the additional 15% off. Until I caught the made in China tag.

I know this very topic has been debated on AAAC regarding various BB items recently. I can see how the LP 100% cashmere fabric is almost too good to be true at the $898 full retail price, but it certainly seems like a great deal of money for a made in China tailored garment. I have no problem with all my BB made in Malaysia OCBDs, etc. But I just can't get around to paying BB prices for a made in China blazer/sport coat.

Does anyone else think that's a deal-breaker? To be honest, I would gladly pay $200 over the current price for a Southwick-made coat - or even a Canadian one. At least I have hope that the RBA/BB purchase of Southwick means that we will continue to see made in the USA BB clothing for years to come.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The fabric is by LP and is woven in Italy. What exactly that means is my guess these days but I'll take it at face value. The fabric is then shipped to China and the garment is manufactured there to BB's specifications.

Most of the sport coats that I've seen at BB have been made in the USA or Italy. I suppose there are some that are Chinese made. I have a car coat with the LP storm system fabric that is made in China. I have had it for 2 years and it gets heavy wear. No problems with it. Don't let the made in China tag put you off, otherwise pay the higher price for a Southwick coat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why do people dislike "Made in China"

The picture that comes to mind is huge factories where your BB coat is produced along with coats that get sent off to Wal-Mart. This is probably a misconception. But I don't know. I would hope if it's made for BB it's some smaller BB owned factory.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I don't want to speak for others, but I personally don't like MIC for my clothing because China has not proven themselves a source of high quality clothing. In the future, if the sector has developed to the point where I can buy a piece of clothing and be confident it will not fit poorly or come apart, and if it is priced fairly, I may consider it.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Why do people dislike "Made in China"
In the run-up to the last Olympics, I heard a translated radio interview with an architect for some of its buildings. He was complaining that it was nearly impossible to get his buildings properly built. He said standard practice was for contractors to substitute sub-standard materials and then secure unskilled labor and give them little instruction.

If they are so unconcerned with buildings that will house people, how worried do you think they're going to be about your clothing?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's an 1818

Is this an outlet sportcoat?

I have never seen a mainline store coat made anywhere but USA or Italy.
It is indeed an 1818 mainline coat - not a 346. I believe this year's cashmere sport coat (black, navy, and tan - 2 or 3 button) is the same coat as last year. Thus the MIC tag catching my attention.

At least half (if not more) of the current 1818 sport coats are made in Canada, and I think this fall's 1818 mainline herringbone and donegal sport coats were made in Thailand.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It is indeed an 1818 mainline coat - not a 346. I believe this year's cashmere sport coat (black, navy, and tan - 2 or 3 button) is the same coat as last year. Thus the MIC tag catching my attention.

At least half (if not more) of the current 1818 sport coats are made in Canada, and I think this fall's 1818 mainline herringbone and donegal sport coats were made in Thailand.
We are not buying the same coats then. I have at least 10 from the last 2 years and they are all either made in Italy or U.S.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I cant stand to buy clothes that are made in china, I cant get past the sense that I am being ripped off or buying clothes made to throw out in 12 months or 5 washes and simply put I feel better if the label says made in Italy, England, Germany, USA, or even Romania for that matter.

Its not snobism, its about quality and beyond that the respect for intellectual Property rights. I don't want to reward the efforts of a country that knocks off every third label and doesn't recognize anyones intellectual efforts while profiting from mass produced crap.

I always look at where something is made and if I am after a pair of gym socks thats one thing but if I saw "Made in China" in BB I wouldn't buy the product.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Avoid, avoid, avoid. I avoid buying handkerchiefs (of the blowin', not showin', variety) from China -- never would I buy a JACKET made there.

I only buy goods made in civilized countries that can be depended upon to do a quality job.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I can see how the LP 100% cashmere fabric is almost too good to be true at the $898 full retail price, but it certainly seems like a great deal of money for a made in China tailored garment. I have no problem with all my BB made in Malaysia OCBDs, etc. But I just can't get around to paying BB prices for a made in China blazer/sport coat.
I am confused. Malaysian-made is fine but Chinese-made is not???

Avoid, avoid, avoid. I avoid buying handkerchiefs (of the blowin', not showin', variety) from China.

I only buy goods made in civilized countries that can be depended upon to do a quality job.
Just because something thing is made in the US or it says it is made in the US does not always mean it would be better the China-equivalent.

I would rather see products saying 'Made in China and be clear about where the product is made, then saying 'Made in England' when most of the work was done outside of England or England-mainland

In addition, we all know with those China-made handkerchiefs - you can only blow your nose 5 times with it before you need a new one.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just because something thing is made in the US or it says it is made in the US does not always mean it would be better the China-equivalent.

I would rather see products saying 'Made in China and be clear about where the product is made, then saying 'Made in England' when most of the work was done outside of England or England-mainland
True, but I would gladly contend that on the whole, US or UK or Italian goods will be better made than Chinese goods. The problem you mention in paragraph 2 is a result of slipshod regulation and, in my opinion, the loophole should be closed.

In addition, we all know with those China-made handkerchiefs - you can only blow your nose 5 times with it before you need a new one.
So true.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think we should all write BB and let them know their image is becoming severely tarninshed in the eyes of some of their higher end customers that discuss such topics on a daily basis. I don't like the MIC label at a high end retailer like BB because I do feel as though the garment is of lesser quality and most importantly I know it is being manufactured for next to nothing and they are not passing on the savings to the consumer. We are still paying the same price.

My 2 cents: Don't get me wrong, I am all for capitalism but as a nation we are really setting ourselves up for an economic crash (hahaha). On thhe whole we don't produce anything as a nation anymore and that is a shame. My grandparents worked in a sock mill in North Carolina their entire life. SOCKS! Nothing elite but they were made in the USA. I love my vintage garments b/c most of them were made in the USA and to higher quality standards. The bottom line is to aquire garments and shoes of the utmost quality and fit we now have to pay a high premium. Not the case 20 years ago. You could still shop at Macy's with pride. Macy's is still considered a high end retailer to some. For those of us who have chosen not to have the wool pulled over our eyes we know better. Ignorance is bliss. Sometimes I wish I was a slouch that didn't care. I may have a few less grey hairs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am confused. Malaysian-made is fine but Chinese-made is not???
Nope, I was just saying that I don't mind buying an imported dress shirt, which is wholly machine-work -- but I am not interested in buying an $898 tailored garment which I would like to think incorporates some, however little, handwork.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I have seen another, cotton moleskin unlined sportcoat that was made in China at their store in Paramus during the sale. It was $259 on sale. I picked it up, loved it (patch pockets, double vents rare for BB) and saw Made in China, and put it down. Shame...I shop at BB because I know the garments are quality made, in the USA, or Canada, or Italy...or in the oCBD case, Malaysia. Now that some wares are made in china, I'll have to look more carefully in the future...we should let BB know we're upset.

Also of note, Nordstroms had the same LP Cashemere sportcoat...made in china...on sale for a bit less than the BB price.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I think we should all write BB and let them know their image is becoming severely tarninshed in the eyes of some of their higher end customers that discuss such topics on a daily basis.
It can't hurt, but my cynical side is certain it will illicit a giant yawn followed up with a back-rub form letter.

Brooks' problems go far beyond made in China IMO. A letter to the Italian gent who runs RBA might get looked at, but will most likely provoke only a polite response. Brooks is no longer being run as what it was, but rather wants to move into the mainstream of the Fashion Industry. This is run by cookie-cutter managers with cookie-cutter ideas about every aspect of its business from purchasing to merchandising.

Folks, the problem with the way American business does business is the way American businesses do business. And that problem most often starts in American business schools that too often are agenda driven and staffed by third-rate minds with second-hand ideas.

There will most likely be major retail casualties in the up coming year. Alleged pundits will bemoan the economy, when the real reason has been retailers trying to sell junk people don't want to buy.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
(My PC locked up, and I had to reboot before I could edit and complete my post. And since I can't edit it now, and because I like to try to be clear, I beg the forbearance of other members for re-posting it.)

It can't hurt, but my cynical side is certain it will elicit a giant yawn followed up with a back-rub form letter.

Brooks' problems go far beyond made in China IMO. A letter to the Italian gent who runs RBA might get looked at, but will most likely provoke only a polite response. Brooks is no longer being run as what it was, but rather wants to move into the mainstream of the Fashion Industry. This is run by cookie-cutter managers with cookie-cutter ideas about every aspect of its business from purchasing to merchandising.

Folks, the problem with the way America does business is the way American businesses do business. And that problem most often starts in American business schools that too often are agenda driven and staffed by third-rate minds with second-hand ideas.

There will most likely be major retail casualties in the up coming year. Alleged pundits will bemoan the economy, when the real reason has been retailers trying to sell junk people don't want to buy. Three I would keep my eye on are Penney, Macys and Talbots.

My simple solution is to require all goods made in China to be clearly labeled with a yellow star on a red ground and the phrase, "Chi-Com Junk." (Though the term junk was not what originally came to mind. ;))

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.