Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
27,618 Posts
This is a brand I've seen listed, but only by one, maybe two individuals (in another forum). I'll see if I can find a sample or something.
TONS of great sandalwoods if you favor that particular scent note.

An interesting variant is a minimalist interpretation that focusses on the essential ingredient in most sandalwood scents, Javanol, is Molecule 04 by Escentric Molecules.

Bottle Perfume Rectangle Fluid Jewellery

OK gentlemen, I just ordered this from Walmart, but not sure if I drink it with soda or tonic. ??

View attachment 85337

Lucky Tiger Bay Rum After shave 16oz
$10.00
I think you may put it on your corn beef hash! ;)

·
Registered
768 Posts
TONS of great sandalwoods if you favor that particular scent note.

An interesting variant is a minimalist interpretation that focusses on the essential ingredient in most sandalwood scents, Javanol, is Molecule 04 by Escentric Molecules.

View attachment 85341

I think you may put it on your corn beef hash! ;)
Now here’s one that I’ll have to try. My Floris is nice, however in place of the ginger note that Gucci Envy had, it has a white pepper note. That ginger really made Envy unique.

Sandalwood scents rock.

·
Registered
27,618 Posts
Now here’s one that I’ll have to try. My Floris is nice, however in place of the ginger note that Gucci Envy had, it has a white pepper note. That ginger really made Envy unique.

Sandalwood scents rock.
Molecule 04 is pretty much just straight Javanol.

If you like a more blended version, the same house offers Escentric 04 that adds scent notes of pink grapefruit peel, lime. Juniper and pink pepper.

As you likely know, most of these higher end scents can be found on discounter websites. I suggest using Trustpilot when shopping them.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Geo. F. Trumper are well-known as a company that sells various bits of shaving kit. LOL, they even used to have a school to teach shaving! (Shaving University, anyone? What would the courses be like?). If I recall correctly, the Ben Silver paper catalogue used to carry their products, but I may be wrong. I have not personally tried their Bay Rum.

Edit: I just checked and my memory about Ben Silver was right ( a nice thing at my age, LOL). Here is the link for Bay Rum:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,777 Posts
Geo. F. Trumper are well-known as a company that sells various bits of shaving kit. LOL, they even used to have a school to teach shaving! (Shaving University, anyone? What would the courses be like?). If I recall correctly, the Ben Silver paper catalogue used to carry their products, but I may be wrong. I have not personally tried their Bay Rum.

Edit: I just checked and my memory about Ben Silver was right ( a nice thing at my age, LOL). Here is the link for Bay Rum:

Ben Silver sent me an email just the other day advertising a special tie design featuring the colors found in the Ukrainian Flag.It sells for $200 and if you wish you can write your check for over that amount and the excess will be donated to Ukrainian relief efforts. Since the tie looks a whole lot like the University of Michigan tie my wife gifted me with years ago and requires me to wear on weekends when the Wolverines beat the Nittany Lions, I think I will just skip this new tie design and send the whole $200 to Ukrainain relief efforts. ;)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Ben Silver sent me an email just the other day advertising a special tie design featuring the colors found in the Ukrainian Flag.It sells for $200 and if you wish you can write your check for over that amount and the excess will be donated to Ukrainian relief efforts. Since the tie looks a whole lot like the University of Michigan tie my wife gifted me with years ago and requires me to wear on weekends when the Wolverines beat the Nittany Lions, I think I will just skip this new tie design and send the whole $200 to Ukrainain relief efforts. ;)
I got the same email this morning! It does seem like a worthwhile cause.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've long wanted to try the scent called Aramis, not because of its special properties, but because it is the name of one of the Musketeers.
I owned a bottle of Aramis (Hurricane Laura must have done something with it) but I did NOT care for the smell. Reminded me of Stetson/Aspen/Old Spice and I really do not care for those at all.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I owned a bottle of Aramis (Hurricane Laura must have done something with it) but I did NOT care for the smell. Reminded me of Stetson/Aspen/Old Spice and I really do not care for those at all.
I did like Stetson. I can't remember the Old Spice fragrance at all, I must have tried it a long time ago.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Reminded me of Stetson/Aspen/Old Spice
I have no experience with Aramis, however, since you mentioned Aspen, I have a tip.

Try comparing Aspen to one of Creed’s most popular offerings, Green Irish Tweed. There are amazing similarities. People often compare Cool Water to GIT but I find Aspen is more wearable. It doesn’t last long, but for the $$, you can’t beat it.

edit: You did mention you didn’t care for Aspen. My recommendation just comes from my fascination with comparing the high end fragrances with their bargain counterparts.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I have no experience with Aramis, however, since you mentioned Aspen, I have a tip.

Try comparing Aspen to one of Creed’s most popular offerings, Green Irish Tweed. There are amazing similarities. People often compare Cool Water to GIT but I find Aspen is more wearable. It doesn’t last long, but for the $$, you can’t beat it.

edit: You did mention you didn’t care for Aspen. My recommendation just comes from my fascination with comparing the high end fragrances with their bargain counterparts.

As mentioned in this thread Creed's Green Irish Tweed has been my hands down favorite for 30+ years.

When I was an everyday suit and tie guy it was my Cologne du jour. Now it's for anything reaching the level of business casual.

Much thanks Troones, I will be ordering "Aspen."

Recently I have discovered Barrister and Mann. Their Bay Rum is in the same vein as St. John's but it lasts longer and is much less expensive. It will be my go to Bay Rum for the foreseeable future.

Also, I took a chance and ordered Barrister and Mann's "Seville" aftershave. ($19.99 delivered via Amazon) To me, it's an old time barber shop kind of essence.

Barrister and Mann's description is: "Our best-selling scent, known affectionately among our customers as "God's barbershop. Combines lemon, bergamot, lavender, rosemary, oakmoss, and patchouli for a bright, slightly powdery scent.")

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
As mentioned in this thread Creed's Green Irish Tweed has been my hands down favorite for 30+ years.

When I was an everyday suit and tie guy it was my Cologne du jour. Now it's for anything reaching the level of business casual.

Recently I have discovered Barrister and Mann. Their Bay Rum is in the same vein as St. John's but it lasts longer and is much less expensive. It will be my go to Bay Rum for the foreseeable future.

Also, I took a chance and ordered Barrister and Mann's "Seville" aftershave. ($19.99 delivered via Amazon) To me, it's an old time barber shop kind of essence.

Barrister and Mann's description is: "Our best-selling scent, known affectionately among our customers as "God's barbershop. Combines lemon, bergamot, lavender, rosemary, oakmoss, and patchouli for a bright, slightly powdery scent.")
So, it's been since middle school since I've smelled Aspen. At the time, it seemed to burn my nose and I'm assuming that's a peppery facet of the fragrance--I'm still no fan of sharp/spicy/peppery scents. I don't know that I knew what it smelled like on my skin. I'm still VERY MUCH a novice as I type this. I'm not opposed to giving it another try, but I won't purchase something I've detested for years, so I'll just find a tester when I can. As far as GIT, I've definitely heard that it and Cool Water resemble each other. I try to trust my own nose, and that usually means venturing out into a bigger city and popping into the nicer malls and boutiques.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

I see B&M offer a Bay Rum shaving soap. As my profession requires that I be clean-shaven, I may have to try this, also. Any experience with it?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
No experience with their shaving soap. (But I will be trying more of Barrister and Mann's products.) I am really impressed with the authentic strong Bay Rum essance at a reasonable price point.

For years I have used Taylor of Old Bond Street Eton College shaving soap.

The fact that their Eton Collage after shave has gone from @$19.- to $40.- in the past five years I would be open to finding a new shave creme since I have dropped their after shave. (I have used a brush for years.)

Based on Vecchio Vespa's recommendation I am going to try Cremo

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
As my profession requires that I be clean-shaven, I may have to try this, also
Interesting. I'm curious: May I ask politely what general line of work that might be? My understanding was that most professions permitted facial hair -- at least a mustache, if not a beard. The one exception I can think of would be the military (with the possible exception of the Navy).

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
No experience with their shaving soap. (But I will be trying more of Barrister and Mann's products.) I am really impressed with the authentic strong Bay Rum essance at a reasonable price point.

For years I have used Taylor of Old Bond Street Eton College shaving soap.

The fact that their Eton Collage after shave has gone from @$19.- to $40.- in the past five years I would be open to finding a new shave creme since I have dropped their after shave. (I have used a brush for years.)

Based on Vecchio Vespa's recommendation I am going to try Cremo
I use LOTS of Cremo products. Head to toe. Their cooling shaving cream is my favorite that they offer.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts