Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently received a tin of solid cologne and body wash, both in a bay rum scent made by Duke Cannon. I have been using Duke Cannon's "Old Glory" body wash and solid cologne for several months. I LOVE the Old Glory scent. The bay rum... Well, let's just say it's heavy on the banana fragrance. Yes, I said "banana fragrance". I've only tried one other bay rum fragranced product--an aftershave I bought by the name of Master and it does NOT smell like it contains a banana scent.

For reference, the Old Glory description:
Top Notes: Leafy Greens, Thyme, Eucalyptus
Heart Notes: Orchid, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Balsam
Base Notes: Leather, Musk, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Amber

Duke Cannon's description of the Bay Rum scent:
Notes of citrus musk, cedarwood, and island spices

Is this banana fragrance typical of most bay rum scents? The scent I imagine a bay rum to have is rich, warm, sweet, perhaps savory.

If not, can someone point me toward a bay rum that closely resembles my imagined expectation? Or perhaps the nearest match?

EDIT: for brand name

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I recently picked up what many claim to be the iconic bay rum, St John's. It is a pretty good bay rum, as these things go, but I am not sure if it quite matches your imagined fragrance.

Perfumes and fragrances change in two different ways: In your own memory, which can be fickle, and also in their composition. In the former case, the memory of your initial experience can fade or alter over time. And in the latter case, it can be because the fragrance itself degrades over time, or because the manufacturers might change the ingredients a little, or even a lot, over time.

Here is St John's. There's also a piece in Ivy Style written some months ago on this scent.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently picked up what many claim to be the iconic bay rum, St John's. It is a pretty good bay rum, as these things go, but I am not sure if it quite matches your imagined fragrance.

Perfumes and fragrances change in two different ways: In your own memory, which can be fickle, and also in their composition. In the former case, the memory of your initial experience can fade or alter over time. And in the latter case, it can be because the fragrance itself degrades over time, or because the manufacturers might change the ingredients a little, or even a lot, over time.

Here is St John's. There's also a piece in Ivy Style written some months ago on this scent.

There's a pop-up ad for a "Luck of the Irish" promotion on the page for which you sent a link. It shows a lime-scented product, and that reminds me: I've been considering creating my own tropical scent for summer. Something refreshing and light, perhaps with a South American twist. Looks like I'll be investing in an essential oils starter kit...

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Bottle Green Glass bottle Drinkware Drink

I eat a banana a day and have for most of my life, so I’ve consumed…Come Mr. Tally Man, tally me banana…maybe thousands of bananas and have never noticed that they smell like anything.

Florida water, my life long sweet stuff, splash it on, lasts for about 30
seconds. To my horror, recently learned it’s made in New Jersey. Am as fond of the label, unchanged for 100+ years, as what’s inside.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I like St. John's Bay Rum. I have kept a bottle for years but in my opinion it doesn't last very long. (I wish it did.) Also, it has gone way up in price over the past few years,...

For 10 to 15 years my everyday go-to has been Taylor of Old Bond Street's Eton College Collection. (Both the after shave and the cologne.)
Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Rectangle Font

For me it's really captures that old time barber shop essence and it lasts. (But it has over doubled in price over the past five years.)

After reading a post by Vecchio Vespa and his go to "4711" I have been meaning to give it a try as the price is right for everyday,...

Liquid Bottle Solution Cosmetics Fluid

My absolute favorite essence which I have loved for 20+ years is Creed's Green Irish Tweed. But it's a bit over the top, and pricey, for everyday.

Liquid Product Rectangle Fluid Cosmetics

·
Registered
27,489 Posts

+1. (y)

Astute reflections!

I'm a big fan of scent and have enjoyed wearing it for 60+ years.

Added to your important observations different makers' batches can smell slightly different from batch to batch, and makers also routinely "update" scents throughout their production so that the current version can be very different from the original.

But even more significantly, each individual's sense of smell tends differ substantially in their ability to smell individual scent notes. Some being able to smell more, some less. Perfumers employ "noses" who are individuals that are particularly gifted and can smell most individual scents to create and blend perfumes.

Since colognes, perfumes, etc. contain complex scents this means that the same actual cologne can literally smell quite different from one person to another.

I've recently received a tin of solid cologne and body wash, both in a bay rum scent made by Duke Cannon. I have been using Duke Cannon's "Old Glory" body wash and solid cologne for several months. I LOVE the Old Glory scent. The bay rum... Well, let's just say it's heavy on the banana fragrance. Yes, I said "banana fragrance". I've only tried one other bay rum fragranced product--an aftershave I bought by the name of Master and it does NOT smell like it contains a banana scent.

For reference, the Old Glory description:
Top Notes: Leafy Greens, Thyme, Eucalyptus
Heart Notes: Orchid, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Balsam
Base Notes: Leather, Musk, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Amber

Duke Cannon's description of the Bay Rum scent:
Notes of citrus musk, cedarwood, and island spices

Is this banana fragrance typical of most bay rum scents? The scent I imagine a bay rum to have is rich, warm, sweet, perhaps savory.

If not, can someone point me toward a bay rum that closely resembles my imagined expectation? Or perhaps the nearest match?

EDIT: for brand name
What you smell as banana could be what they listed as vanilla, or the way your sense of smell processes it in relation to the other listed scent notes.

But just to make it more entertaining, the scent notes makers list aren't always factual. Some are listed for marketing reasons, others, I'm convinced, to mislead competitors. :LOL:

I've personally never cared for spice scented colognes, and as such have found most bay rums I've tested very much not something I'd like. But there are plenty on the market, and if you enjoy that variety, more power to you! Sniff your way around, makers will often offer samples at a nominal charge, and there are even decanters who decant full bottles and sell individual samples by mail.

But don't fall under the spell of higher end scents, you'll never escape! :eek:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've been using Bay Rum for years. As posted, it does not last very long, but oh the admiring looks from the ladies while it does (my wife and the house beagle). Last purchase (Amazon) I bought what I thought was Bay rum, but it was a Bay Rum scented cream. It lasts longer, but it is not the 17th century odor, eh fragrance, I was after.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
There's a substantial scientific literature in the general field of perception and psychophysics on smell (and on the other senses). Psychophysics is the discipline that studies how various aspects of external physical energy (light, sound, molecules of substances in air or in fluids, pressure on body surface) are transduced into neural energy and thence into subjective sensations we experience. The part that is truly complex is how we label the results of this process, and how we identify them and experience them subjectively. Sensory organs (eye, ear, nose, etc) are simply the sites at which transduction takes place (the retina, the cochlea, the olfactory bulb, etc.). The part that actually does the seeing or hearing or smelling is in the appropriate region of the brain (visual or auditory or olfactory cortex). There are also complicated interactions between senses, since objects can stimulate multiple sensory systems at the same time. One obvious link is between smell and taste -- smell is essential to taste.

So sensory psychologists and physiologists are employed by the perfume industry and the companies also fund research into smell.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The banana scent in question is most likened to that of the banana shrub, which I believe is a type of magnolia.
Anyone familiar with this would likely smell what I smell.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 85236

I eat a banana a day and have for most of my life, so I’ve consumed…Come Mr. Tally Man, tally me banana…maybe thousands of bananas and have never noticed that they smell like anything.

Florida water, my life long sweet stuff, splash it on, lasts for about 30
seconds. To my horror, recently learned it’s made in New Jersey. Am as fond of the label, unchanged for 100+ years, as what’s inside.
I've seen Florida Water in stores but have never investigated it. I may do so next time it's available to me. Also, I seem to remember a very similarly packaged light blue liquid, likely bottled by the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
27,489 Posts
There's a substantial scientific literature in the general field of perception and psychophysics on smell (and on the other senses). Psychophysics is the discipline that studies how various aspects of external physical energy (light, sound, molecules of substances in air or in fluids, pressure on body surface) are transduced into neural energy and thence into subjective sensations we experience. The part that is truly complex is how we label the results of this process, and how we identify them and experience them subjectively. Sensory organs (eye, ear, nose, etc) are simply the sites at which transduction takes place (the retina, the cochlea, the olfactory bulb, etc.). The part that actually does the seeing or hearing or smelling is in the appropriate region of the brain (visual or auditory or olfactory cortex). There are also complicated interactions between senses, since objects can stimulate multiple sensory systems at the same time. One obvious link is between smell and taste -- smell is essential to taste.

So sensory psychologists and physiologists are employed by the perfume industry and the companies also fund research into smell.
No doubt that the brain is most important organ for the sense of smell. The reason why many suffering from neurodegenerative diseases often experience a loss of that faculty. Sad.

·
(aka TKI67)
3,116 Posts
I like St. John's Bay Rum. I have kept a bottle for years but in my opinion it doesn't last very long. (I wish it did.) Also, it has gone way up in price over the past few years,...

For 10 to 15 years my everyday go-to has been Taylor of Old Bond Street's Eton College Collection. (Both the after shave and the cologne.)
View attachment 85237

For me it's really captures that old time barber shop essence and it lasts. (But it has over doubled in price over the past five years.)

After reading a post by Vecchio Vespa and his go to "4711" I have been meaning to give it a try as the price is right for everyday,...

View attachment 85238

My absolute favorite essence which I have loved for 20+ years is Creed's Green Irish Tweed. But it's a bit over the top, and pricey, for everyday.

View attachment 85239
4711 is fleeting. For every day wear, that is a plus to me.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Not a bay rum scent, but I never miss a chance to recommend my favorite (still available) fragrance. Floris Santal. The next best thing to my all time favorite Gucci Envy, sadly discontinued over a decade ago.
Bottle Liquid Drinkware Glass bottle Fluid

As for bay rum, I have a small tin of Col. Conk Bay Rum shaving soap. I never thought of it before, but I just sniffed it and it does have a scent reminiscent of banana bread. Not bananas as such, but the spices used in banana bread.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not a bay rum scent, but I never miss a chance to recommend my favorite (still available) fragrance. Floris Santal. The next best thing to my all time favorite Gucci Envy, sadly discontinued over a decade ago.
View attachment 85335
As for bay rum, I have a small tin of Col. Conk Bay Rum shaving soap. I never thought of it before, but I just sniffed it and it does have a scent reminiscent of banana bread. Not bananas as such, but the spices used in banana bread.
This is a brand I've seen listed, but only by one, maybe two individuals (in another forum). I'll see if I can find a sample or something.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts