Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else seen the Batman movie from 1989? If so you probably haven't seen it as many times as I have lol. Anyway, I happen to like the clothes worn by some of the men in this movie. The character Alexander Knox (Robert Wuhl of later Arli$$ fame) wears striped braces, OCBD's, and chukka's with dark grey suits. Wuhl even wears arm bands in one brief scene. Bruce Wayne (Michael Keaton) is dressed in Armani 6x2 DB suits. In one seen, which takes place in Vicki Vale's (Kim Basinger) apartment Keaton wears a tan DB suit with brown suede bucks (I think) , a cardigan, a trenchcoat, and old school (trad?) wire rim glasses. Last but not least, Jack Nicholson as Jack Napier/ The Joker wears some nice overcoats and suits (aside from the fact that they're mostly purple). I heard on one of the special features on my DVD of the film that Nicholson's suits that he wore in the film were Saville Row bespoke! Early in the movie (before becoming the Joker), Nicholson wears black chelsea boots with leather soles with his suits. What do you guys think of the clothing in this movie? Is there anything you particularly like or dislike?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Has anyone else seen the Batman movie from 1989? If so you probably haven't seen it as many times as I have lol. Anyway, I happen to like the clothes worn by some of the men in this movie. The character Alexander Knox (Robert Wuhl of later Arli$$ fame) wears striped braces, OCBD's, and chukka's with dark grey suits. Wuhl even wears arm bands in one brief scene. Bruce Wayne (Michael Keaton) is dressed in Armani 6x2 DB suits. In one seen, which takes place in Vicki Vale's (Kim Basinger) apartment Keaton wears a tan DB suit with brown suede bucks (I think) , a cardigan, a trenchcoat, and old school (trad?) wire rim glasses. Last but not least, Jack Nicholson as Jack Napier/ The Joker wears some nice overcoats and suits (aside from the fact that they're mostly purple). I heard on one of the special features on my DVD of the film that Nicholson's suits that he wore in the film were Saville Row bespoke! Early in the movie (before becoming the Joker), Nicholson wears black chelsea boots with leather soles with his suits. What do you guys think of the clothing in this movie? Is there anything you particularly like or dislike?
The suits worn by Jack Nicholson as The Joker were some of the last work by Tommy Nutter. Nutter, who died a couple of years after the film was released, was something of a Saville Row legend. He made pieces for all the beautiful people of the day all through the late 60's and the 70's, perhaps most famously The Beatles and Mick & Bianca's wedding clothes.
IIRC, the purple tailcoat worn by Nicholson is on display in the V&A. If you'd like to see a more permanent exhibition of his work however, just go and look in your CD collection. If you have Abbey Road, he designed 3 of the band's suits on the famous cover shot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I haven't seen the movie for years and years, but the clothing choice that I most remember is Keaton wearing a black lightweight turtleneck with jeans down in the batcave (this might be from Batman returns, not quite sure).

That always struck me as an odd choice.

The way Bruce Wayne dresses is more performance than personal style, I suppose. It's all just a cover to distract from his other identity. But staying true to the image of his prep school upbringing, I suppose that trad would be the way to go.

Jeans and a turtleneck struck me as being more like something David Copperfield would have worn at the time.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree. I love the movie, love the style too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Suede bucks?

Old fashioned glasses

Is "Young Bruce Wayne" (middle) wearing a Burberry scarf?

Armbands

Cardigan under DB suit

• Braces
  • OCBD?
  • Chukka's or desert boots?

Collar bar and tie bar worn simultaneously!

Chelsea boots

Other good clothing pics:

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
The cardigan under the double breasted jacket was my favourite from the film (you may begin the shunning now), although the whole film was stylish and attractive from a clothing point-of-view. What's nice is the details are very 1980s. Thanks for posting this!

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
But IS it really dated? I think the point was to present an art deco world that survived into modern times, hence the details like double breasted suits (they took that a little too far though) and the arm bands. This also extends to the cars and architecture. They used that same premise for the excellent Batman animated series.

I think the second movie was a lot better balanced in the wardrobe department.

And yes, unfortunately I can't see the pictures either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.