Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can we discuss the current quality of weejuns?

i'd like a pair like those I've seen on this forum.

are bass weejuns as poor in quality as they seem when i try them on nowadays? or do they break in, start looking good, and become more comfortable at some point? the current type also seems pretty narrow compared to those i see on this forum.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I recently got rid of a pair of Weejuns. They were uncomfortable and cheap. The leather never softened (if it even was leather) and the shoes squeeked when I walked.

I just ordered a pair of Sebago beefroll loafers; hopefully these will be ok for a while.

I will, of course, upgrade to Alden or AE when my coffers are fuller than they are now.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The best way to buy an AE shoe cheaply (other than gambling/waiting around on ebay) is to call an outlet and see if they have a second (minor blemish or other small defect) in the shoe and have them ship it to you. One call and the person can search the whole database for all AE stores and warehouses, so you can often get a very specific size/width/shoe. Shoes are fully returnable, provided you wear them only on carpet, so if you feel that the blemish/defect is too much, you can return it.

I call the Freeport, Maine outlet and have shoes within 1-2 business days.

(207) 865-6222

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just called the one in Destin and they have them for $179 shipping included. I think I'm just gonna stick with my Weejuns for now unless anyone knows of a place where I can get the Waldens a little cheaper.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Just called the one in Destin and they have them for $179 shipping included. I think I'm just gonna stick with my Weejuns for now unless anyone knows of a place where I can get the Waldens a little cheaper.
Wait for their (periodic) sales on seconds - when they drop (usually) another 15%. Unfortunately I think that teh sale just ended, but come suumertime (or even before), there will be another one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm wearing them as I write b/c I keep them as my extra pair of shoes under my desk at work (it's duck boot whether in Boston and that's what I wore into the office).

Frankly, I don't like them so much I find them very hard to stand on, they were difficult to break in, and they look a little plasticky to me.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
okay
I ordered AEs, and I feel good about it.

As always, thanks men.
Well struck. Don't forget about the recrafting services that AE offers. The $100 investment renders a like-new shoe. With 6 pairs of AE shoes subject to recrafting, I joke that I may never purchase another pair. Wear 'em down and build 'em back up. It's the ultimate recycling. Bill

·
Registered
410 Posts
Cheap shoes are never a good idea.

Why not buy good shoes and keep them for years? You will always enjoy wearing them and never feel as if you have to make an excuse for them.

Seven years ago I purchased a pair of Alden LHS in dark brown calf. They were $350. I had them recrafted a year ago. Last weekend I bought a pair of Alden LHS in #8 shell cordovan. The dark brown's are now my very casual pair of loafers. They will now serve the purpose of the beater shoe and I won't feel too badly if they suffer some abuse. I plan to keep them and continue to keep them in as good a condition as any good shoe I own.

A few years ago I bought a pair of Cole Haan suede loafers with a thin Vibram sole. They slipped and were stiff. The fit and comfort never improved. I tried cushioned insoles, yet they were still insufferable. I was happy the day I gave them to Goodwill.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've posted this a number of times, but I reiterate my suggestions of the past:

1. Take a brand new pair of Weejuns and rub liberally with rubbing alcohol. Really rub it in, get down to the ugly reddish color underneath. Let dry.

2. Apply a coat of Kiwi leather lotion, or similar. Let dry. Repeat.

3. Polish as normal with Kiwi Cordovan polish. Repeat as needed.

The results are a rather nice pair of shoes. Mine are almost 2 years old, on their second set of soles, and look quite nice. Not bad at all for 60 bucks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a pair of the Sebago Classics that I like. I agree that the leather is a bit plasticy looking. I know this may be blasphemy on this site, but quite frankly they fit a lot better than my AE loafers and are therefore more comfortable. I have wide feet, so that may be a factor.

The AEs are nicer quality without a doubt, but they don't fit as well, so they don't get used.

Just something else to consider.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have a pair of the Sebago Classics that I like. I agree that the leather is a bit plasticy looking. I know this may be blasphemy on this site, but quite frankly they fit a lot better than my AE loafers and are therefore more comfortable. I have wide feet, so that may be a factor.

The AEs are nicer quality without a doubt, but they don't fit as well, so they don't get used.

Just something else to consider.
Great points. Shoe comfort can be hit or miss, as I have some AEs that are the most comfortable shoes going, and some others that I have come to avoid wearing. $350 does not guarantee a comfortable shoe. You are right, it can be like "The Emporer's New Clothes" on here. Perhaps my least comfortable shoes are Alden tassels in calf, though they look great.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.