Men's Clothing Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
688 Posts
This will win me a whole new generation of enemies, but it has to be said: the current Weejuns are total crap. Avoid them like the plague. Bass is counting on nostalgia to sell these things, since they certainly have little else to recommend them. They aren't even as good as they were a few years ago (I bought a pair in 2000 which are light-years better than the current offerings). Sebago makes far superior shoes for under $100 and AEs can be had on sale for under $200. The original poster would do far better to wait a few months, save his money, and get better shoes. The old rule about "saving money by spending more" is quite true in this context.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's why the current Weejuns are crap:

https://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=basscomparisonam0.jpghttps://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

It's pretty clear they aren't even bothering to last these shoes properly anymore. That's how they keep the price down. What other compromises have been made?

DD
I have found this to be solid advice. If you live in NYC, go to the Shoe Parlor, between 54th and 55th and look at the Sebagos. I believe they also stock Bass. Not the best prices I've ever seen, nor the worst, but you get to try them on and talk to the knowledgeable owner, Abe. The Cayman II is the closest thing you can get to the Weejuns I recall, though the Cayman has more lining and, in my view, are more comfortable. I still own a pair of Weejuns; I wear them mostly in the summer without socks. But I don't find them in the same class as Cayman II.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
weejuns received

Gentlemen,

I received my Weejuns in the mail last night and I love them as a casual shoe to wear with chinos. This weekend I plan to get the rubbing alcohol and leather balm and then get a shine.

Thanks to all.

Oh, and yes, Reilly was a great character in a great book. One of my favorites.

· Registered
1,724 Posts
Went to the Bass Outlet here in Baltimore today. I now see what everyone is talking about. My current pair of weejuns are about 5 years old [non-USA made] and I did notice a difference in the leather of the new ones I saw at the store....not for the better. I suppose they've been continuously downgrading. I hope Bass doesn't disappear altogether.

Anyway, I picked up some regular pennys and some beefrolls. I may try the alcohol method myself. Still, for $55 I am happy with them.

Here's photos of the new ones including the cool retro box that one of them came in.

Danny

· Registered
5,808 Posts
Danny said:
Went to the Bass Outlet here in Baltimore today. I now see what everyone is talking about. My current pair of weejuns are about 5 years old [non-USA made] and I did notice a difference in the leather of the new ones I saw at the store....not for the better. I suppose they've been continuously downgrading. I hope Bass doesn't disappear altogether.
The problem is that Bass is a small part of a huge conglomerate which has obviously shunted them off into the corner as a cheap dress shoe brand.

Still, for $55 I am happy with them.
I'm sure Jamgood could help here, but I suspect Weejuns were more than $55 about 20 years ago when they were so popular. What happens to quality when prices go down? Ask companies who supply Wal-Mart.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,101 Posts
I've a pair of The made in El Salvador Bass Weejuns that have been in my shoe rotation for about two years at this point and are coming due for a resole and heel replacement. The local cobbler advises he can do a half sole and heel replacement for $49. Seems a bit much for maintaining a pair of penny's that originally cost me $25 but, the uppers remain in good shape and in the interest of (perhaps) saving the planet, I guess it's worth it! ;)

· Registered
31 Posts
...but I suspect Weejuns were more than $55 about 20 years ago when they were so popular. What happens to quality when prices go down? Ask companies who supply Wal-Mart.
I distinctly remember paying around $45-50 bucks for a pair of Weejuns in 1987. I needed a pair of dress shoes for college graduation ceremonies.

You all might hate me for saying this, but I managed to score two pair of late 70s vintage Weejuns on eBay in the last year. One pair was brand new in the original box - I'm still breaking them in - and cost me $55 with shipping. I also have a third pair, also US made, but from a later era. The older pairs are much nicer quality leather than the later version, even though it was made in the US. The corner-cutting already had begun at Bass, even before they packed up and left Wilton, ME. :(

· Registered
4,130 Posts
I managed to score two pair of late 70s vintage Weejuns on eBay in the last year. One pair was brand new in the original box ...I also have a third pair, also US made, but from a later era. The older pairs are much nicer quality leather than the later version, even though it was made in the US.
Photos would be great.

· Registered
5,808 Posts
Welton'82 said:
That'll make a good T-giving holiday project for me. Stay tuned...and have a wonderful holiday (those of you in the Colonies). :icon_smile:
Got the photos yet of the 1970s Weejuns? We really need that as a baseline reference for quality and details when eBay shopping.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.