Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Citi Shoes has them, I believe

Within the past year I was in the market for loafers and went into Citi Shoes on Park Avenue (Midtown). I'm pretty sure they had Weejuns. I don't think I tried on anything because they didn't carry anything much in narrow sizes. And, I think this is where I saw how plasticky the leather on the current Weejuns looks.
Incidentally, I just looked at their website which indicates they still have LHS's in Whiskey (no narrow sizes of course).

· Registered
581 Posts
For my 500th post, I would like to formally defend the humble modern Weejun.

• Are Weejuns the best shoes available? NO

• Are they as good as they used to be? NO

• Are they made of particularly high quality leather? NO

• Can they be made vastly better-looking with rubbing alcohol? YES

• Do they cost $50 at the outlet? YES

• If someone on a limited budget is looking for good-looking shoes that they can afford, and this allows them to subscribe to the trad look and eventually progress to higher-quality footwear as their budget allows, is this a good thing? YES
So to recap, am I tired of the constant Weejun-bashing on this board? YES Frankly, if someone else has a better idea for new, flat-strap, cordovan-colored, unlined penny loafers for under $100, then please speak up. Otherwise, just let people be happy with what they have.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Just a note about my experience with Weejuns. I'm not a golden ager, so I won't try to compare the new Weejuns to the old. But one big criticism that I have is that they wear very poorly. Admittedly, I wear my Weejuns often and not in ideal conditions. (Winters in New York and Cambridge, MA) But I was surprised by how quickly the "color" wears thin in rough conditions. My black pair has held up better than the ox blood in that respect. But still, they are rather inexpensive shoes, I wear them often, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.
I wouldnt consider them a good winter shoe, but a casual 3 season shoe. As is any such loafer.
Winter generally calls for something sturdier, wet resistent, and less prone to letting the wind hit your feet.

· Registered
2,186 Posts
Last winter, I tended to rely on my "Gentleman Traveler" boots, made by Red Wing. But they are clunky and don't go well with tailored clothing like wool pants or suits. They just don't. I think I'll look into those rubber galoshes thingies, whatever they're called and keep wearing my pennies at least on some days.

videocrew -- Personally, I've never tried Bass Weejuns. If there's one thing I've learned on this sartorial voyage, it's the ultimate value of learning by doing. Most things boil down to trying 'em yourself -- everyone's different. SO, thanks to your strong plea, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for Weejuns in my size. :icon_smile:

· Registered
1,724 Posts
Since we're on the subject...I have a pair Weejuns 9.5D that are too big for me. They are not the old USA made ones and they are slightly used, but they are in good shape. If anyone wants to work something out let me know. I posted them in the thrift thread a few months ago I think.

Danny

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,101 Posts
...At 37 years of age, soon to be 38, I am a little shocked that I am buying Weejuns for wear, but I thought I'd give them a try. Some of the posters, such as Desk Jockey, look really good in them.
Whoa. Did you say you're 37 years old? Phew! Can you still get around without a walker? Honestly I don't know why at that advanced age you would be interested in clothes. Just jello, perhaps.

(actually i'm EVEN older if you can believe that)
Two pair of Bass Weejuns (Burgundy and Tan), share space in my shoe racks with seven other pair of penny loafers :)eek:), manufactured by Alden, AE, and Quoddy Trail...and I'm well into my 58th year. Say what you will about the quality but, Weejuns have earned thier iconic status in our sartorial hearts! We are never too old for Weejuns!

Now when is that Beamish guy going to show up to roll me out on the front porch and wipe this drool off my chin(!)? ;)

· Registered
10 Posts
rubbing alcohol treatment

could you explain the alcohol treatment process, please? i have a pair of both colors and would like to try this.

thanks

• If someone on a limited budget is looking for good-looking shoes that they can afford, and this allows them to subscribe to the trad look and eventually progress to higher-quality footwear as their budget allows, is this a good thing? YES
So to recap, am I tired of the constant Weejun-bashing on this board? YES Frankly, if someone else has a better idea for new, flat-strap, cordovan-colored, unlined penny loafers for under $100, then please speak up. Otherwise, just let people be happy with what they have.

· Registered
1,281 Posts

Great 500th post and I agree with your comments. Modern Weejuns are a good shoe for the price point.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
I agree that Weejuns are a decent shoe for the price point (if you buy them at a Bass outlet). But, I'd recommend trying them on. I've had a hard time with the fit (more so than other loafers, IMO).

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
full circle

Ron A

You point is well taken - and the reason I started the thread was that I wanted to try these darn things on and to look at them before I bought them. But with no stores in Manhattan that carry them - I'll have to drop the dough and take my chances via mail.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions - especially about the rubbing alcohol

· Registered
1,281 Posts
The reason I started the thread was that I wanted to try these darn things on and to look at them before I bought them. But with no stores in Manhattan that carry them - I'll have to drop the dough and take my chances via mail.
If you buy online, be sure to look for a shoe store that offers free shipping both ways. That's handy if you need to return multiple pairs to get the best fit.
Good luck.

· Registered
2,186 Posts
^ The first L stop in Brooklyn (i.e., Bedford Avenue) certainly isn't much of a journey if there's any interest in trying on Weejuns. It's the next stop after 1st Ave. And then you'd have to walk a whole block south to Shoe Market, where the Weejuns are waiting.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Joe Beamish,

You know how Manhattanites are, don't you? I ain't goin' to Brooklyn even though it might actually be closer to some farther points in Manhattan. But I will keep it in mind for future purchases when my new pair wears out. Thanks again, Joe.

· Registered
5,808 Posts
This will win me a whole new generation of enemies, but it has to be said: the current Weejuns are total crap. Avoid them like the plague. Bass is counting on nostalgia to sell these things, since they certainly have little else to recommend them. They aren't even as good as they were a few years ago (I bought a pair in 2000 which are light-years better than the current offerings). Sebago makes far superior shoes for under $100 and AEs can be had on sale for under $200. The original poster would do far better to wait a few months, save his money, and get better shoes. The old rule about "saving money by spending more" is quite true in this context.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's why the current Weejuns are crap:

https://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=basscomparisonam0.jpghttps://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

It's pretty clear they aren't even bothering to last these shoes properly anymore. That's how they keep the price down. What other compromises have been made?

DD

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
This will win me a whole new generation of enemies, but it has to be said: the current Weejuns are total crap. Avoid them like the plague. Bass is counting on nostalgia to sell these things, since they certainly have little else to recommend them. They aren't even as good as they were a few years ago (I bought a pair in 2000 which are light-years better than the current offerings). Sebago makes far superior shoes for under $100 and AEs can be had on sale for under $200. The original poster would do far better to wait a few months, save his money, and get better shoes. The old rule about "saving money by spending more" is quite true in this context.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's why the current Weejuns are crap:

https://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=basscomparisonam0.jpghttps://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

It's pretty clear they aren't even bothering to last these shoes properly anymore. That's how they keep the price down. What other compromises have been made?

DD
DD,

Which shoe is on the left and which on the right? Thanks - great comparison photo - but I'm not familiar enough with the shoe or its history to know what is being compared.

(This is mostly an experiment on my part - I have Alden, Ralph Lauren, AE, LL Bean and Edward Green loafers falling out of my closet)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.