Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks, StevenRocks

It does not look like they have them either. It would seem plausible that a pair of Bass Weejuns could be found in NYC - but good look trying. I ordered a pair from the e-shoes.com website this morning.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Makes me wonder

Given all the Bass-bashing on this board -- which I've bought into, as the justifications have always made sense to me: The leather's no good, the shoes are no longer made in the USA, etc. -- why would anyone care where to find contemporary Bass Weejuns?

That said, I do know one place in NYC -- it's in Williamsburg, just off the Bedford L stop, and it's called "Shoe Market". They carry Weejuns, but I've never tried them on because they don't have wides. And because everyone slags on them here.

https://www.shoemarketnyc.com/

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weejuns

Thanks Joe Beamish and Tatnall. Although I've already purchased them on-line, I will keep those places in mind in the future.

At 37 years of age, soon to be 38, I am a little shocked that I am buying Weejuns for wear, but I thought I'd give them a try. Some of the posters, such as Desk Jockey, look really good in them.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Closest I know of is the outlet stores on Eastern Long Island. At Tanger Mall in Riverhead and Outlet Center on rte 27 in Bellport.

Not what they once were but at outlet prices they represent good value and they take a beating. There is a new tan soft leather version I have heard good things about, but haven't investigated yet.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Oh my....

Whoa. Did you say you're 37 years old? Phew! Can you still get around without a walker? Honestly I don't know why at that advanced age you would be interested in clothes. Just jello, perhaps.

(actually i'm EVEN older if you can believe that)

Thanks Joe Beamish and Tatnall. Although I've already purchased them on-line, I will keep those places in mind in the future.

At 37 years of age, soon to be 38, I am a little shocked that I am buying Weejuns for wear, but I thought I'd give them a try. Some of the posters, such as Desk Jockey, look really good in them.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
For all the issues with them, I love my weejuns and I wear them all the time. Maybe the leather is not as good as 25 years ago, but they are still a great casual penny loafer. And of course, they are the 'original article'. I got my last pair here in Baltimore at a now defunct store called Hecht's. It seems odd that Macy's doesn't carry them. It seems like the entire Bass line is much harder to locate than in times past. I recall in the 90s that Bass had their own stores in many shopping malls.

Danny

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'll join in on the aforementioned Bass bashing. Modern Weejuns are just not a quality shoe, IMO. If you've ever tried them on, you immediately realize that the corrected grain leather is cheap and plasticky. I also find the fit to be very odd, and they certainly do not fit my particular foot very well. They may look okay after a thorough scrubbing with rubbing alcohol and re-conditioning, but there are other, better (though not necessarily cheaper) options out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ron A

Ron A

Thank you for the comments. I bought them $85 postpaid and am expecting absolutely nothing. It is pretty much an experiment on my part.

But something you said interests me. What are the other options you speak of? I have purchased Ralph LAuren's "Berrin" loafer and absolutely love it. It is a great, classic, comfortable loafer. I have it in brown and black.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
But something you said interests me. What are the other options you speak of?
I would keep an eye out for Allen Edmonds shoes on ebay and on the AAAT exchange thread. I picked up a pair of AE "Danbury" loafers on ebay (new in box) for only slightly more than you paid for the Weejuns (which can be bought at a Bass outlet for significantly less than $85). In examining past threads, people have mentioned the Sebago Cayman II as a good choice for (relatively) inexpensive loafers. I don't own a pair so I really can't comment on them, but I would pick them over the Weejuns (based on my experience with Weejuns).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just a note about my experience with Weejuns. I'm not a golden ager, so I won't try to compare the new Weejuns to the old. But one big criticism that I have is that they wear very poorly. Admittedly, I wear my Weejuns often and not in ideal conditions. (Winters in New York and Cambridge, MA) But I was surprised by how quickly the "color" wears thin in rough conditions. My black pair has held up better than the ox blood in that respect. But still, they are rather inexpensive shoes, I wear them often, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.