Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to buy a Barbour Border jacket, and I had two questions.

I am a 46L in a suit jacket, so should I buy a 48 for the coat? Can anyone tell me how tight the sizing is on these?

I have looked around, and the best price I have found is with an Ebay merchant.

https://stores.ebay.com/Country-Attire

To me, the price seems good, but not "too good". They claim to be an official Barbour stockist. Has anyone ever bought anything from this seller?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I find the Barbour jackets to be on the large size in order to take account of layering. Personally I would order your own suit chest size as the 'actual' chest measurement is likely to be +4".

The seller (eBay) is local to me and I think enjoys business. I have not personally found his prices that much lower and would be drawn to other places that sometimes have offers on - ie. www.johnnorris.co.uk.

I have a Beaufort jacket that is +20 yrs old and just about worn in but in a UK winter find it too cold (even with the fur liner as your arms are not covered) so I have a field coat. Initially drawn to Barbour to replace my old one I was disappointed in the quality and bought a Musto technical tweed for half price from John Norris.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am a size 44 but I take a Barbour 46.
The new sizing on some Barbour coats of L and XL means I can't wear these because the L is too small and the XL is too large.
If you can you should try on Barbour to find your size but if you can't, request measurements of the actual garment to determine if it will fit. Sometimes its works and sometimes it doesn't! Good luck.-Dick

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Barbour is one of those icon products that have gone up in price exponentially to the drop in quality.
Sionce you are in the USA, have a look at Filson's waxed garments. They are VERY good at advising people on size, have a easy return and exchange policy and the american made, traditional lines still live up to their motto.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Barbour is one of those icon products that have gone up in price exponentially to the drop in quality.
In Norway, they are still over 50% cheaper than other rain coats and such.:icon_smile_wink:

I would go with +4 from your actual chest measurement the waist classic durham jackets (and probably other models too) can be adjusted, so ti's possible to use +6, though it would look a bit big

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.