Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, this is my first post so please don't be too harsh on me.

I've recently just bought a Barbour Beaufort in size 40 and it just came today, I was really excited because I could tell the jacket itself was very high quality except for one thing.

When I put the jacket on it's way too big for me, I'm a US size medium most of the time but I'm a pretty tall and lanky guy with long arms so I decided to order one size up. Not the greatest choice as you'll see in the picture attached, while the arm length is actually perfect. The jacket itself is really boxy on me as well as the fact that I have so much room in the Beaufort that I can fit like two hoodies.

I was thinking on returning it and getting a size 38 Bedale instead, at least that way I'm going to hope that the fit's going to be alright and I can get the arms lengthed if I really want to. Any thoughts?

Mirror Microphone Sleeve Standing Cool
Mirror Microphone Sleeve Standing Cool

Edit: Formatting

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You are correct, the sleeves look great. In fact, in my view, the coat looks exactly like a Barbour should.

How would it fit if you were wearing an undershirt, OCBD shirt, waistcoat and a heavy tweed jacket under it? Barbour jackets are designed to serve as a waterproof country overcoat, so room must be provided for a full outfit underneath. It isn't designed as a form fitting coat by any measure.

A 38 might cause issues in the sleeves for you. Bending your arm for your selfie already pulls the sleeve well past your wrist.

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct, the sleeves look great. In fact, in my view, the coat looks exactly like a Barbour should.

How would it fit if you were wearing an undershirt, OCBD shirt, waistcoat and a heavy tweed jacket under it? Barbour jackets are designed to serve as a waterproof country overcoat, so room must be provided for a full outfit underneath. It isn't designed as a form fitting coat by any measure.

A 38 might cause issues in the sleeves for you. Bending your arm for your selfie already pulls the sleeve well past your wrist.

Cheers,

BSR
I'll definitely take that into consideration but I was thinking of just returning it for a Bedale a size smaller and probably just getting the sleeves lengthened.

I live in Calgary so it gets quite cold in the winter so the times I'll wear the Bedale would probably be only in the Spring and Fall when it gets chilly. In the winter I'll be wearing a parka so I'm mainly going to use this more as a casual jacket. That's why I kind of want the jacket to be a little more form-fitting on me. I already knew that the Barbours are cut with a lot of room, but I didn't think there would be that much haha.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
I don’t see anything wrong with the fit. You’re wearing a properly fitting outerwear garment.

I typically layer a sweater under my Barbour. If it’s cool enough for the jacket, then it’s cool enough for a sweater.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
The fit looks good to me, as well. Were you to add the insulated liner and pull on a sweater to wear under the coat, the fit will not only be perfect, but you will be ready to step out and face a Calgary winter...albeit a mild one! ;)

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
It looks like it fits exactly how a Barbour Beaufort is intended to fit. The Bedale fits largely the same as the Beaufort, just a little shorter. In my opinion, you'll just experience frustration and unnecessary expense by trying to make a Barbour into something it wasn't designed to be (form-fitting). Perhaps the brand - or at least the Beaufort/Bedale - is not for you.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
It looks like it fits exactly how a Barbour Beaufort is intended to fit. The Bedale fits largely the same as the Beaufort, just a little shorter. In my opinion, you'll just experience frustration and unnecessary expense by trying to make a Barbour into something it wasn't designed to be (form-fitting). Perhaps the brand - or at least the Beaufort/Bedale - is not for you.
Second this (and everyone else who posted similar comments). If you want something more fitted then Barbour has lots of other coats which are intended to be snug and worn over only a t-shirt or something.

·
Registered
236 Posts
As noted, Barbour does have newer styles designed to be form-fitting, but the classic styles (Eg Beaufort and Bedale) are meant to be worn over thick heavy sweaters and/or sports coats.

If your chest measurement is 40”, size 40 will give you about 2” of layering room whereas size 38 will be a closer fit. Of course the sleeves will shorten in proportion. The shape will remain boxy in these styles regardless of the size.

You look great in the coat but it’s only worth the money if you feel great too. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I agree with everyone else in thinking it looks like it fits correctly. I like my clothes to be more fitted (though not necessarily slim), but Barbours are sized to allow layering. I have a 38" chest and bought a size 38 Beaufort, which allows me to wear a heavy sweater underneath:
Outerwear Coat Textile Sleeve Waist

On its own, the Barbour is okay (imho) down to high 50's/low 60's.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I agree with everyone else. The body of the jacket is a good fit. The arms are a little too short so fix that if you can.

A Barbour is a $400 jacket that will cost you nearly $600 if you get the liner and the hood; it's a reasonable price considering you'll have it for decades and it will only look better with age. That being said, having a little extra room is a good thing, since one day, you'll want to wear it over a sportcoat. And one day, you will be a 40-year-old man with probably a few more pounds than you have now, so you'll appreciate having the extra room. In other words, the extra room adds versatility to your jacket.

I bought a Bedale first and then exchanged it for a Beaufort because of the longer length and greater versatility of the Beaufort.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree with the others as well. Looks good to me. I’m a true size 38 and I wear a 38 Beaufort. It’s naturally a boxy jacket by cut. As others have mentioned, Barbour now has many other offerings that may fit more to your liking. Definitely consider the fact that this jacket is one that you’ll have for quite some time. If you’re not pleased with the cut / style of the jacket return it and get something that is more true to your style. Best of luck with the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.