Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any in here?

I'm dancing with my university (University of Alberta) at a Bronze level, following the International Standard and Latin syllabus...

Started competing last year (still only in-house) but hopefully will move on to regionals soon...! :icon_smile_big:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
While the wife and I have taken lessons through the local Arthur Murray studio, encumbered with me, she is nowhere near as accomplished (;)) as your OP would indicate you are! We are in fact, just good enough to muddle our way through dances at a wedding or during other evenings out that offer an opportunity for me to embarrass myself. :(

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
When I first moved to Atlanta, I lived in the same building where Arthur Murray opened his first dance studio as a Georgia Tech student.

I'm reasonably competent, but haven't done any serious ballroom dancing.

My brother-in-law's best friend (and my nephew's godmother) made it to fourth place on the most recently completed season of Dancing With The Stars. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Any in here?

I'm dancing with my university (University of Alberta) at a Bronze level, following the International Standard and Latin syllabus...

Started competing last year (still only in-house) but hopefully will move on to regionals soon...! :icon_smile_big:
I took several courses in Austria, international style of course, and completed Silver. I never finished the Gold level...

I never competed, but I love dancing, and attend several social balls per year.

My favourite dances are Viennese waltz, quickstep and rumba.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I took several courses in Austria, international style of course, and completed Silver. I never finished the Gold level...

I never competed, but I love dancing, and attend several social balls per year.

My favourite dances are Viennese waltz, quickstep and rumba.
I'm envious of those who can attend the function you posted here earlier. Unfortunately I won't be in the DC area until mid-January, and then only passing through. :(

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm envious of those who can attend the function you posted here earlier. Unfortunately I won't be in the DC area until mid-January, and then only passing through. :(
If you can come to DC in February, there is a grand affair at the Organisation of American States where many people attend dressed in white tie and state decorations. I don't have the exact date yet, but the opportunities are out there -- just not that many and some are not well-publicised.

I actually met a couple from Atlanta, Georgia at a ball in February 2008. I know it's quite a distance, but nobody wants to come to DC in February (cold and wet) so plane tickets are usually quite cheap.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
If you can come to DC in February, there is a grand affair at the Organisation of American States where many people attend dressed in white tie and state decorations. I don't have the exact date yet, but the opportunities are out there -- just not that many and some are not well-publicised.

I actually met a couple from Atlanta, Georgia at a ball in February 2008. I know it's quite a distance, but nobody wants to come to DC in February (cold and wet) so plane tickets are usually quite cheap.
It's only two hours by plane. :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Not a competitive dancer by any means, but I love ballroom, and have been taking lessons; and going to proper dances in NYC for years. Not so much the last four years or so, but when I can. My wife hates that I am a dance snob, in that I have trouble with wedding dancing when they try a tango or swing because it's very hard to enjoy dancing with a floor full of people who make it up as they go along.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Not a competitive dancer by any means, but I love ballroom, and have been taking lessons; and going to proper dances in NYC for years. Not so much the last four years or so, but when I can. My wife hates that I am a dance snob, in that I have trouble with wedding dancing when they try a tango or swing because it's very hard to enjoy dancing with a floor full of people who make it up as they go along.
If the orchestra knows "The Electric Slide," sit on the sidelines and drink champagne until all the silly people start to look barely competent. Then still don't get on the floor. :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
With the music of Peter Duchin, Lester Lanin, Guy Lombardo, Meyer Davis & Phil Bennet you could dance. The dance floors were always full yet everyone moved. As the evening wore on then the Lindy and the Twist were played. Peter Duchin would do a routine about "Society Dancing" very funny.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dancing is one of the many things I intend to take up and become proficient in... someday. Lamentably, there are only 24 hours in a day and my priorities are currently elsewhere.

I admire the folks who are good at it, because, honestly, I don't have a clue. It's plain to see that it is a great way to keep a girlfriend/wife romanced and happy - one of the reasons I want to give it another shot.

edit: If anyone wants to recommend a good "dancing for dummies" book/DVD, I'm all ears.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^Perhaps the Complete Idiots Guide to Ballroom Dancing, by Jeff Allen, is what you are looking for...it even comes with it's own music CD. Another option is a self help book my wife and I picked up to supplement the Arthur Murray lessons...Ballroom Dancing, by Craig R. Horwood...it also comes with a music CD. Good luck and enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dancing is one of the many things I intend to take up and become proficient in... someday. Lamentably, there are only 24 hours in a day and my priorities are currently elsewhere.

I admire the folks who are good at it, because, honestly, I don't have a clue. It's plain to see that it is a great way to keep a girlfriend/wife romanced and happy - one of the reasons I want to give it another shot.

edit: If anyone wants to recommend a good "dancing for dummies" book/DVD, I'm all ears.
I don't know about books or DVDs, but there is a great series of free lessons on YouTube. He's a Canadian dance teacher and here is his site:
https://www.youtube.com/user/aanw97

The dances are divided into types and levels (e.g., beginners Foxtrot step). I think they're very good. He's not flashy, but provides solid instructions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.