Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I recently stumbled across this forum by accident, and I'm thrilled to find a group that shares my interest in traditional American attire.

I commute by train into the city, and in the winter weather the cuffs of my suit pants are constantly getting splattered with snow and slush. Besides taking the obvious steps of trying to minimize this, does anyone have any suggestions on how to address the spots that get left behind as the spatter dries? I don't want to be constantly having my pants dry-cleaned!

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Ahhhh. Get a Kent garment brush. They are available from "Dann Online" as well as eBay. The exact location of the eBay brushes escapes me but I'm sure you could find them by searching carefully. eBay is the best bet at $30 for a "small" dual-sided brush that would cost over $100 elsewhere.

The brush has a soft, two-toned side and a firmer black side. The firm black side is great for removing slush spots and other surface crust. The other side is used to brush loose dirt from your wool garments before you hang them up at night. If you own nice wool clothes these brushes are a must.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Dry cleaning may be the best remedy for this unfortunate situation (that's usually what I do but I don't do it after every wear). You can try removing excess salt with a dry cloth and finish off the job with a damp cloth. I know that water with a bit of vinegar works for salt stains on boots but I've never tried it on pants.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in the same situation and have the same problem. I just dab at them gently w/ a moistened towel and that seems to get most of the salt stains out. I have heard of people using a little soap or baby wipes but haven't tried it. Plain water seems to do the trick reasonably well for me. Sometimes I have to have a couple goes at it before the stains are completely removed. To some extent, I've just learned to live w/ it.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Ahhhh. Get a Kent garment brush. They are available from "Dann Online" as well as eBay. The exact location of the eBay brushes escapes me but I'm sure you could find them by searching carefully. eBay is the best bet at $30 for a "small" dual-sided brush that would cost over $100 elsewhere.

The brush has a soft, two-toned side and a firmer black side. The firm black side is great for removing slush spots and other surface crust. The other side is used to brush loose dirt from your wool garments before you hang them up at night. If you own nice wool clothes these brushes are a must.
I use the same brush which I got from ebay. It works very well.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Greetings all,

I recently stumbled across this forum by accident, and I'm thrilled to find a group that shares my interest in traditional American attire.

I commute by train into the city, and in the winter weather the cuffs of my suit pants are constantly getting splattered with snow and slush. Besides taking the obvious steps of trying to minimize this, does anyone have any suggestions on how to address the spots that get left behind as the spatter dries? I don't want to be constantly having my pants dry-cleaned!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Welcome to the forum
I agree with PC to use a garment brush. Keep one in the office and one at home

·
Registered
674 Posts
I use a damp wash cloth to wipe away the salt splashed water or other detritus on my trousers and then place them in a Corby pants press.

I've also broken down and purchased a pair of Neo's. The shuffle to/from the train head can be quite sloppy.

HNY-

asf

·
Registered
4,773 Posts

https://stores.ebay.com/Kentbrushes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.