Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love wrap overcoats, though I haven't had one in years. They need to be full cut, the belt does add warmth as one I had proved during many a frosty winter. Though I might prefer a raglan shoulder for it. And the over-sized herringbone is perfect cloth for it. The Loden DB is also lovely, though sans belt.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^Handsome coats for sure,
but alas, my beloved overcoats(2) became naught but fading memories, a couple of years back when we migrated south. My old Burberry Trench, sans the cold wear liner, serves all such needs for me now. :( To my eye, while perhaps an inconvenient feature, the belt(s) are a must have feature! ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Question for you, have you worked with them on anything? I run past their shop about 3 times a week. I currently go to knockers in insadong but I would like to try another good tailor. I like their stuff but what kind of prices are we looking at? My Harris Tweed sport coat at knockers is quoted at 1.2 mil. I would love to throw caution to the wind but I am not interested in explaining to my wife the expense if it is significantly more than that.

·
Registered
948 Posts
For Harris Tweed, you would be spending more like 1.8 - 2.4 KRW with them. But of course you get the quality you see on their feed. If you don't want to through down the money for B&Tailor (I wanted to so very much and had plan to, but it wasn't in the cards), there are plenty of other less expensive options out there. What are you looking to spend? I have gone to a place that I have liked very much in Gangnam and will be purchasing either a sports coat or suit form a place in Yeouido in the next few months before I leave Seoul.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
^^Handsome coats for sure,
but alas, my beloved overcoats(2) became naught but fading memories, a couple of years back when we migrated south. My old Burberry Trench, sans the cold wear liner, serves all such needs for me now. :( To my eye, while perhaps an inconvenient feature, the belt(s) are a must have feature! ;)
I used to have about a 3/4 mile walk from the train station to my office. It was common during that hour of the morning for the January temperatures to be in the 20's, sometimes with wind thrown in for fun! The value of a full belt in keeping warm is difficult to exaggerate when contrasted to one without. It seems the essential benefit is that it effectively seals the upper body like a cocoon.

Question for you, have you worked with them on anything? I run past their shop about 3 times a week. I currently go to knockers in insadong but I would like to try another good tailor. I like their stuff but what kind of prices are we looking at? My Harris Tweed sport coat at knockers is quoted at 1.2 mil. I would love to throw caution to the wind but I am not interested in explaining to my wife the expense if it is significantly more than that.
If addressed to me, I'm sorry but have no knowledge of them beyond what I see in photos, and what's reported here. As noted by immanuelrx, he's local and has dropped in on them. Though I'm affraid he's reported they're very costly, unfortunately. He should be able to offer more detail.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For Harris Tweed, you would be spending more like 1.8 - 2.4 KRW with them. But of course you get the quality you see on their feed. If you don't want to through down the money for B&Tailor (I wanted to so very much and had plan to, but it wasn't in the cards), there are plenty of other less expensive options out there. What are you looking to spend? I have gone to a place that I have liked very much in Gangnam and will be purchasing either a sports coat or suit form a place in Yeouido in the next few months before I leave Seoul.
Thanks for the info. I would be very interested in hearing about your experience. I dont have a particular budget. I spent about 6 months looking for my current tailor(after not being impressed by any of the Itaewon options). I always fear that I may be missing out on something even better if I dont keep looking but I am really happy with my tailors. I have just seen and liked alot of B&taylor stuff but I dont like to waste a tailor's time if I dont plan to make a purchase.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about wasting their time. Go by their shop and see in person if you are willing to make the financial jump for services. I agree with the itaewon tailors. It’s difficult to find a good tailor around here too because any discussions with co workers ends up with them saying how little they paid for their suits in itaewon or uijeongbu. Honestly if they are happy that’s all that matters. I am just looking for more. If you are happy with your tailor than I would say stay with them. I know everyone says you can come to Korea and get a cheap suit and that is exactly correct. For quality, you are going to pay an amount closer to prices you would expect. I do believe you get more for your money here, but as you probably know, it still isn’t inexpensive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't worry about wasting their time. Go by their shop and see in person if you are willing to make the financial jump for services. I agree with the itaewon tailors. It's difficult to find a good tailor around here too because any discussions with co workers ends up with them saying how little they paid for their suits in itaewon or uijeongbu. Honestly if they are happy that's all that matters. I am just looking for more. If you are happy with your tailor than I would say stay with them. I know everyone says you can come to Korea and get a cheap suit and that is exactly correct. For quality, you are going to pay an amount closer to prices you would expect. I do believe you get more for your money here, but as you probably know, it still isn't inexpensive.
Yeah overall I am happy with my tailor but so often with them I have to be on top of them for taking some shortcuts. For example on my first suit they tried to put belt loops instead of side adjusters and claimed that I asked for belt loops when it was first planned. There was also fusing material in the lapel during the basted fitting. I called them out on it and they said they were removing it and putting floating canvas in there and that it was just for the fitting. The finished worked is beautiful but I have to be on top of that. After a few pieces pretty much everything comes back as I wanted but man that early stuff was irritating and I fear other shortcuts have been made but I cant say that I can find any. I do agree if you go in expecting saville row quality at mens warehouse prices you will be terribly disappointed but if you are willing to up your budget and lower your expectations a little you can really get great deals.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
If the fuse was not sewn in, then how could they get it out? If you want hand padded lapels, that takes more time, and the cost should reflect it. B&NTailors are European trained and would put in more details. Some Asians don't shape the cloth with an iron, which certainly improves the garment. They may have better cloth. Some details might help the garment last longer, cutting the cost per wear, even though up front cost is more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.