Men's Clothing Forums banner

B-School Interview Suit - too much pinstripe?

5K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  WA 
#1 ·
Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm 26, white male. Looking to buy a quality suit for an important interview coming up. Is this suit from Brooks Brothers appropriate? I don't have a solid suit, but this one is on sale which is why I'm attracted to it.

Would you recommend getting a lesser quality solid suit or this higher quality striped suit on sale? My concern is that it's got pinstripes, and I've heard those can be distracting. However, these stripes are quite subtle. Curious others' perspectives and advice.

Any thoughts on gray vs. navy?

Hair Face Head Trousers Suit trousers
Hair Face Head Shirt Coat

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, welcome!

I believe the consensus vote would be for a solid and even though on sale, I think your budget does open up options for either a navy or charcoal solid.

However, given the rather subdued nature of the stripes, and that you’ll be interviewing for B school, either of the pinstripe options will be fine.

#10 ·
As a first suit, I'd suggest solid for versatility. It can go with:

a. solid shirt, solid tie

b. solid shirt, fancy tie

The striped one can too, but matching the striped one gets trickier unless you have a good eye when you move to:

c. fancy shirt, solid tie (easy to do with the solid suit)

d. fancy shirt, fancy tie (requires an eye regardless of suit)

Also, the striped one may be nicer than the suits worn by the interviewers which may or may not be helpful.

#13 ·
Chalk and pin are really only about the stripe itself. Chalk is thicker and a pin stripe is just a thin, defined stripe. The spacing between the stripes is another matter.

OP, I would not buy anything full price at Brooks because you would be getting ripped off. Golden Fleece will be made to a better standard and theoretically with better fabric, but it appears both the 1818 and GF are being made at the Southwick factory in MA. GF is full canvas with fully handsewn armholes. 1818 is half canvas. After that, it's whatever BB "fit" fits you the best.

A solid suit is better for an interview. Those stripes will be great once you're out of school and into the world.

#30 ·
Having been inside an 1818 to make an alteration, can say a mess and question quality. Found several seems stitched at least twice with two different colors of threads. Once I gathered all the loose threads had about a golf ball size amount. Only consider an 1818 if less than $25, otherwise preowned Golden Fleece.

The trick with interviews is to blend with the interviewer, so if everyone wearing stripes because of being in finance, then yes. My first suit was a Brooks Brothers 1818 looked almost like the first picture so who am I to say?

#32 · (Edited)
So don't want it sewn right? The sides must mirror, otherwise something be out of kilter. My understanding is even a sixteenth on the flat can make a difference.

If there is no care in making a garment, how is that high quality? I am asking a serious question.

Polo Ralph Lauren Italian I have was perfect seams and even had all the edges serged. The half dozen others also didn't look like someone was practicing seams.

Each to his or her own, just putting out there. I believe a garment should at least look like been made by sewers that know what they are doing and with some care (it is piece work after all).

BTW, when I alter a coat, I always clean up including frays to lining as figure if anyone in again my work will be judged ans cleaning the frays help slow the unraveling. I may die tomorrow, clothes given away, and have to be altered to fit that particular person.

#33 ·
When sewing you sew according to fit, not seam allowances. (Some are sloppy in that, too.) Leaving extra thread that's hidden doesn't matter. Trimming fray can add to fray. In my opinion linings are best cut with pinks (special shears). Overcasting is important some places. But not tight. And sometimes lose, because the seam allowance may need to be stretched, such as at the waist. Some inlays are cut and others never are (incase the person gains weight).

In the olden days there were no machines. And when they did come many tailors thought they did an inferior stitch. Machine stitches are more rigid and have less diagonal flex = inferior. Therefore, less comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.