Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Alden, Redwing, Sperry, Woolrich, Pendleton (and they forgot to mention Allen Edmonds!)...it seems almost as if Andrew Romano (the author) took a stroll through my closets...and yes the grand kinds do enjoy wearing "Papa's" shoes/boots around the house! However, I'm not sure that that was what "Andrew was getting at in his article? Also, much of my closet contents are the originals, not present day remakes. That is indeed the real beauty of quality...it lasts and lasts! ;)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You're right, Flanderian, but the problem remains. When people see me in my sack J Press, they aren't going to say: "cool, that is so 1962", or "you look like one of the guys in The Right Stuff".

They are going to say: "wow, that is so last year" or, if their eye is really bad, "you remind me of Kanye West".

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
^ Good comment, Flanderian.

This article was an interesting read, and I do enjoy Williams' blog and am certainly glad that he received this publicity. However, it strikes me as though, in certain subcultures, this embracing of American workwear, etc., is done in an ironic fashion and is nothing more than a passing fad.

I would like to think that, unlike the NYC or SoCal hipsters who will move on to the next thing in a year or so, most of the people on this forum genuinely have embraced stylish, classic (and in many instances American-made) clothing as a life experience. I know that I have, in part (although not entirely) because of this forum and some of these blogs devoted to classic/trad/Ivy clothing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I just posted this...

https://thetrad.blogspot.com/2009/02/theres-whole-lot-going-on-over-at.html

The whole "work clothes" thing always reminds me that there are people wearing cutting edge fashion and working at Tom Ford who think I fell off a turnip truck when I walk into their store. We're all seeing clothing in different ways. Although, the last few Japanese magazines I read (looked at) had a lot of "prison" denim.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
You're right, Flanderian, but the problem remains. When people see me in my sack J Press, they aren't going to say: "cool, that is so 1962", or "you look like one of the guys in The Right Stuff".

They are going to say: "wow, that is so last year" or, if their eye is really bad, "you remind me of Kanye West".
If you dress well, you can always look good, though you may only be fashionable about once every 20 years.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts

I'd have to say the possibility that the 3/2 sack will go from near extinction to being so fashionable that it will be embarrassing to wear in a few years seems pretty remote.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been waiting patiently for the correct response to this article, and no one has yet posted it, so here it is:

"Leave it to some guy from styleforum.net to pay $500 for a knockoff when you can get the real thing for only $125" :icon_smile_big:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.