Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading lots about opinions on MTM and bespoke suits in London on these forums and I appreciate all the info people have contributed.

To get straight to the point, a couple of my friends and I will be travelling to London early 2013 and are very keen on buying British bespoke suits. We have narrowed down lots of tailors to a few notable ones within our price range outside of the Row (GBP 1000-1800). But we've come across Austin Reed just recently and saw their bespoke services at GBP599+.

https://www.austinreed.co.uk/fcp/content/Bespoke/content

Has anyone had any experiences with them? Aside from their customer service reviews, has anyone commissioned a suit from Austin Reed and any pointers?

If you wish to know, we are planning to get suits from Henry Herbert Tailors. But if Austin Reed are decent enough....

Cheers in advance. :icon_smile_big::icon_smile_big::icon_smile_big::icon_smile_big:

G

·
These are, I suspect, measured in London and then shipped out the far east (or may be eastern Europe) for cutting and sewing. The result may be ok (I've no idea of the actual quality) but I would hestitate to call it "buying British".

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hi Giggity,

I have a MTM suit from Austin Reed, from about two years ago. It was priced in their sales so, if I recall correctly, it was about £399. As it was my first MTM I played it safe and had a solid blue (though not navy) suit but with a twill texture. I'm pretty pleased with the result (with the fit, the fabric's okay, etc) and I think it is good for the price point -- that is, I don't expect Savile Row standards, etc.

As the other members above note, the suit is made somewhere abroad, and, also, it it not 'bespoke' in the traditional sense of the word, though it is advertised as being bespoke. It is Made To Measure.

Are there better options/prices out there? Perhaps, and other members may guide you to them. But if you can get the suit at £399 (rather than the £599 you mention) then I think that would be a good deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello again everyone. I appreciate the input and we will be going to meet with 3 tailors. 1) Henry Herbert 2) G D Golding 3) Graham Browne. We have also come across another company in London called Moss and found that they're offering 'bespoke' suits for roughly the same price as Austin Reed. So we are staying away from these companies, not out of any malice but really because we're going to London to have a British Bespoke suit done by British tailors. We live in Australia and could just as easily get a British cut suit from WW Chan in Hongkong but for us that's not the same.

Thanks again and we appreciate your inputs and for clarifying. Particularly Jake Genezen for answering our question on quality, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jake Genezen. We will be opting to go with 3 proper tailors in London outside of the Row. At the same time we will be stopping by Austin Reed and handing in our measurements so we can order future suits from the MTM selection in the future and have it shipped out to Australia where we're from. We've decided to get our suits from one of 3 tailors for our special occasions during meetings and Austin Reed for everyday wear in the office. Cheers for the advice.

Giggity

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are, I suspect, measured in London and then shipped out the far east (or may be eastern Europe) for cutting and sewing. The result may be ok (I've no idea of the actual quality) but I would hestitate to call it "buying British".
Thats what we suspected after seeing Moss.co.uk who also offer a 'bespoke' service at a very cheap price. But thanks for the Info. We can't afford tailoring at the Row but we have opted with Henry Herbert and Graham Browne.

G

·
we will be going to meet with 3 tailors. 1) Henry Herbert 2) G D Golding 3) Graham Browne.
Golding have a small shop in my town as I'm next door to the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst. They have some lovely uniforms, suits and jackets in the windows and when I popped in to ask about prices they were very friendly. I just wish I could afford to buy a suit from them :-(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.