Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great website!

First post so go easy!

I've just started looking at "proper" suits. Up till now I've been buying the usual Boss and Armani off the peg suits then getting them tailored to me at my local tailors.
However I got a gift of a bespoke Saville Row suit fitting, had my first fitting and I'm just waiting on my second tailor date now. (I know I'm very,very lucky!!)
I'm absolutely certain this suit will be perfect, however my question is on another matter.
I've been thinking that getting a tailor made suit from this company in London (they have travelling tailors as well) would look far better, for about the same price, as an off the peg "named" suit, for day to day business wear. Choosing better quality fabrics than the cheaper options available.

I know the suits are tailored in Nepal but so what? Surely a tailored suit would be better than simply buying a "name"?
Has anyone any experience/knowledge of Asuitthatfits?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
What Savile row tailor are you getting your suit from? Yes I do think its good luck that someone gave you a Savile row suit as a gift!

As for your recommendation a quick look through AAAC via the search tool will give you some idea of how people think about asuitthatfits.com Thus far (after just a quick check) someone wasn't happy about the outcome but the company was quick to try and make good on it. I dont have any experience with them but i would like to point out (bearing in mind your "go easy" request) that its always a bit dodgy when a new poster comes in and says:

"I am new here and just found this great company, check it out! WOW!"

Because its perceived to be a shill post. Thats is as neutral as I can state it.

What might be nice is if you first buy one and then post pictures of it and give us YOUR feedback. I dont think the crowd here is necessarily focussed on finding the cheapest bespoke suit simply for the sake of a low price. If this company produces a great result it will become apparent over time without attempts at "create a buzz" marketing which tends to disrespect those who it is aimed at by duping them.

The normally trajectory (at least in clothing) is that you earn a reputation one suit at a time and the world wakes up to you gradually. After that you are free to pull a Tommy Hilfiger and blow your brand's good will straight to hell but its step one thats the hard part. Of course its hard to blow out a brand that makes its suits in Nepal since there is no where downward to go cost wise and no way to move up price wise.

...post a pic of your savile row suit when you get it, or at least tell us who you are getting it from and what you are getting etc.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Welcome to the site driver1.

My advice is to wait until you have your Savile Row suit fitted.
I strongly suspect that after you've taken delivery of it you won't want to go anywhere near budget tailors or OTR suits again.
Even if the Savile Row suits are way above your usual budget you will probably end up finding the money from somewhere.
It'll be an eye-opener for you I suspect.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Suits from £150

For £150 buy a bottle of Johnnie Walk Blue Label, spend the money at La Maison Du Chocolate, Havana's from JJ Fox or treat your girlfriend to a fancy meal.

As for the price, it says suit from £220, second suit from £150; if you purchase one suit, it likely to cost you more then £220. You want buttons on the jacket sleeve they will charge you, same for pockets too, almost everything costs more. You want to visit one of their shops, that is an extra £25 to be measured.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Wait for your Savile Row suit to be completed, make any adjustments that need to be made over time as you wear it. THEN decide how you want your bespoke suits to fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can make a few comments based on my experience with asuitthatfits, and perhaps one or two of their competitors.

I ordered a suit from them in August 2006. At the time they were offering free measurement - just as well! They lost my initial order. I re-ordered near to the end of September. The suit arrived 6 weeks later. Unfortunately the arms were so tight that I was barely able to squeeze my arms into the jacket (my arms had not been measured at the fitting). Also the single button on the jacket was at my navel. Thankfully, because I had been measured by them, they accepted the suit back and produced a new suit for me. This suit arrived at the end of December 2006. It fitted reasonably well although I think the lapels look a little to Asian (a bit wide and rounded) but was unfortunately in black fabric instead of the grey herringbone that I had ordered. Also one pair of the trousers should have had belt loops but did not. Since it had taken 4 months to get to this point I gave up and accepted the suit as it was.

Their prices were quite a bit cheaper in 2006. The basic cashmere suit without any options was £110 (I think). With two pairs of trousers, working cuffs, slanted pockets, the suit was only £220. Not really worth the hassle .... I haven't used them since.

My last two suits have been made by King and Allen. They managed to put the wrong lining in the first two suits - but to be fair to them they gave me those suits for free and made two new suits for me. These new suits also had the wrong linings - but I can live with 4 suits for the price of 2! The fit is better than the suit from asuitthatfits, mainly because they adjust the suit to fit on collection. Lead time is approximately 6 weeks from measurement + 2 weeks for adjustments. I will buy from them again assuming I'm on the same budget.

Prior to these two experiences I ordered a suit online, using my own measurements, from Ravi tailors. I can't recommend this route given the poor fit of the suit (not helped by my weight gain!) nor the customs charge that I was hit with! The suit was only made wearable by George the tailor (Harringay) .... lead time 4 months ......

·
Registered
104 Posts
My last two suits have been made by King and Allen. They managed to put the wrong lining in the first two suits - but to be fair to them they gave me those suits for free and made two new suits for me. These new suits also had the wrong linings - but I can live with 4 suits for the price of 2!
Wow! It's a shame you couldn't have managed to get 6 for the price of 2. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Wave of the Future?

Assuming this works, I'm thinking this could be a wave of the future for men's suits and such.

Makes it more accessible, like Amazon.com. Do everything "from the comfort of your own home." None of that messy standing around and being humiliated by snooty fops.

Final product might not be top-of-the-line, let alone middle-of-the-line, but it would put more men in suits than our present paradigm does.

At the very least, it looks like fun.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yugos!

Think of them as Yugos. A cheap car for the masses. And once it gets established and they work out the kinks, it'll move up in quality and in scale. That's what Hyundai did. The first ones out 20 years ago were crap. Now they're on Consumer Reports' "car-to-buy" lists.

I remember when I got my first home computer 20 years ago. It was a custom-built jobbie and required an elaborate acquisition process. My last laptops I've ordered on the Internet, just clicking on the options I wanted.

Our current paradigm for putting men in something other than Dockers and polo shirts isn't working.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your responses guys.
I have been measured at Pooles. I'm getting a dark blue, slim herringbone, mid weight. It's my first, and pinstripe was a bit of a jump for me. So I went safe, I wanted a "safe" suit for my line of business. Sober enough for day time business but able to get away with wearing it out.
As for the "Shill post" (I had to look up the definition of Shill!) Nope, not me, honestly! It was a genuine question, I didn't say they were good, bad or indifferrent, I just opened it up for the forum to comment. (and you guys didn't give a good impression) I do appreciate the "first time poster" thought though.
I have seen various companies doing on-line measuring or travelling tailor fittings and I just have never got the confidence or correct feeling from them to go for it. With some justice it would seem.
When you guys say low-end, I know they will not be good in comparison to the suit being made for me, I accept that. Up till reading your guys comments I thought they would "do the job", but I'll keep buying the usual suits for day to day wear (with a bit of tailoring).

I do apreciate bespoke is going to be fantastic, but I go through suits quickly. There has got to be a fairer way to buy day to day fitted suits that fit well.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Response from www.asuitthatfits.com

Hi All,

Thank you for the initial post and all your comments and feedback about A Suit That Fits.com - we always appreciate feedback, it helps us to continually improve the quality of our service. We take feedback on all orders, and have thousands of happy customers - some of which you can see at:

On the very odd occasion when a customer has concerns like this, we individually address these concerns, and we track our service to ensure we continue to offer fantastic quality suits at an honest, transparent price. We believe that our pricing structure offers the best value to our customers, by giving them three options for fittings. This includes:

1. A measurement from home using our easy-to-follow guide, which is free; and offer a retrospective £40 fit-guarantee to ensure that everyone can have a suit that truly fits.

2. Our £25 in-store initial fitting charge and guarantee, which some customers tend to prefer on their initial fitting. Our customers can see us up and down the UK, and this now includes both Edinburgh and Glasgow.

3. Our £50 tailor call-out charge to anywhere within the M25.

We are very clear on the fitting charge in all our communications and prior to booking a fitting, so that our customers are always aware of the charge when they attend the fitting. In our two and a half years of providing great quality, great value suits, we have found that our customers understand the importance of the one-time £25 fitting charge. Also, importantly, we believe the cost of our suits offers the best value available, so customers generally pay lower for their suit than if they were to buy from our competitors.

As an aside to Atomic, if you do have concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us any time at [email protected] where we speedily address each individual concern through our responsive customer service team. In your case, we would happily inspect and replace a suit that you did not love. We want to ensure that every suit we make is a fantastic success; our mission is to get the perfect pattern for each and every one of our clients so that we can become their tailor, and we want to ensure the same for you. So please do write to us directly.

Kind regards,

Warren
Director
aSuitThatFits.com

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I can make a few comments based on my experience with asuitthatfits, and perhaps one or two of their competitors.

I ordered a suit from them in August 2006. At the time they were offering free measurement - just as well! They lost my initial order. I re-ordered near to the end of September. The suit arrived 6 weeks later. Unfortunately the arms were so tight that I was barely able to squeeze my arms into the jacket (my arms had not been measured at the fitting). Also the single button on the jacket was at my navel. Thankfully, because I had been measured by them, they accepted the suit back and produced a new suit for me. This suit arrived at the end of December 2006. It fitted reasonably well although I think the lapels look a little to Asian (a bit wide and rounded) but was unfortunately in black fabric instead of the grey herringbone that I had ordered. Also one pair of the trousers should have had belt loops but did not. Since it had taken 4 months to get to this point I gave up and accepted the suit as it was.

Their prices were quite a bit cheaper in 2006. The basic cashmere suit without any options was £110 (I think). With two pairs of trousers, working cuffs, slanted pockets, the suit was only £220. Not really worth the hassle .... I haven't used them since.

My last two suits have been made by King and Allen. They managed to put the wrong lining in the first two suits - but to be fair to them they gave me those suits for free and made two new suits for me. These new suits also had the wrong linings - but I can live with 4 suits for the price of 2! The fit is better than the suit from asuitthatfits, mainly because they adjust the suit to fit on collection. Lead time is approximately 6 weeks from measurement + 2 weeks for adjustments. I will buy from them again assuming I'm on the same budget.

Prior to these two experiences I ordered a suit online, using my own measurements, from Ravi tailors. I can't recommend this route given the poor fit of the suit (not helped by my weight gain!) nor the customs charge that I was hit with! The suit was only made wearable by George the tailor (Harringay) .... lead time 4 months ......
Sounds highly reminiscent of my own experience with cheapo MTM, which I now avoid like the plague. Not being able to afford Savile Row or anything like it, I've nonetheless been happier with better RTW plus a good local alterations tailor than with any of the cut-rate MTM stuff I've ever purchased (the occasional Jantzen shirt aside).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Wait for your Savile Row suit to be completed, make any adjustments that need to be made over time as you wear it. THEN decide how you want your bespoke suits to fit.
I am a tad late to this thread, but that sounds like very good advice to me.

On another note, charging for an in store measurement seems like an odd practice to me.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts

On another note, charging for an in store measurement seems like an odd practice to me.
I got far enough into experimenting with their design engine to note that they also charge 45 to 60 quid for a lining.

Linings aren't exactly optional in suits.

The pricing strategy appears to be to lure the customer by advertising the low base price of 290 pounds, then piling on the surcharges.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
suit_wizard
Starting Member

Response from
Hi All,

Thank you for the initial post and all your comments and feedback about A Suit That Fits.com - we always appreciate feedback, it helps us to continually improve the quality of our service. We take feedback on all orders, and have thousands of happy customers - some of which you can see at:
I must admit you guys are pretty quick at finding and trying to quash bad reports on the web but I'm still not convinced!!!

"always appreciate feedback" and "continually improve the quality of our service" sound like management sales talk to me! Much the same talk as,
"where we speedily address each individual concern through our responsive customer service team" and "to ensure that every suit we make is a fantastic success,"

Good grief, have you eaten a sales management bible?

Yup, had a look at your website and I see the happy customers responses that you've posted up. What about the unhappy ones??? I've certainly came across a few on the web.

Sorry Warren, I'm really not convinced, but i do wish you well.

Jim and Jovan,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovan https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?p=896685#post896685

Sounds good to me!

I still wonder though (as I'm certainly not going to splash out on a full wardrobe of Saville Row just yet:icon_smile_wink:) what is the best way to buy good MTM suits?
Is it best to buy off the rack suits a little big and get them tailored?
(One of my Armani suits was tailored slightly and looks great)
or go for a MTM in a good fabric. If so, any recommendations of the best MTM retailers for style, fabric and prices.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I got far enough into experimenting with their design engine to note that they also charge 45 to 60 quid for a lining.

Linings aren't exactly optional in suits.

The pricing strategy appears to be to lure the customer by advertising the low base price of 290 pounds, then piling on the surcharges.
I did the same with the base price £220 (no spare trousers), my extras added almost another £100 and this was using the £20 lining. Someone else could have added £150 depending on the option.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I still wonder though (as I'm certainly not going to splash out on a full wardrobe of Saville Row just yet:icon_smile_wink:) what is the best way to buy good MTM suits?
Is it best to buy off the rack suits a little big and get them tailored?
(One of my Armani suits was tailored slightly and looks great)
or go for a MTM in a good fabric. If so, any recommendations of the best MTM retailers for style, fabric and prices.
All good MTM options would have the same cloth that people use for bespoke, from the likes of Scabal, Holland & Sherry, etc.

You can get MTM suits that are full-canvas, hand cut and stitched and about half the price of bespoke. The closest thing you get to bespoke in terms of garment, without only bespoke and minus the fittings you will get with bespoke.

For example, Gieves & Hawkes bespoke starts at about £3.4k but the Italian MTM hand-cut and stitched option (I reckon there is machine work involved) starts at about £1.7k and less on a sale. Richard Anderson bespoke starts at about £3.2k but their MTM starts at about £1.8k; Huntsmans MTM is similar to Richard Anderson, but their MTM price is similar to the cheapest bespoke options on Savile Row.

Tony
Lutwyche bespoke is apparently about £1.6k

If that is still too much, Gieves & Hawkes, Richard James, etc have cheaper MTM options; they are available in full-canvas and the same cloth as used for bespoke garments. This starts at under £1k. Richard Anderson & Huntsman do not cheaper MTM options; another place is Ede &Ravencroft (opposite Abercrombie & Fitch). You have options away from Savile Row too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.