Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All:

Does anyone know anything about the quality of Astor and Black? They have some very attractive packages, but at the prices they offer, I would be surprised if they are making bespoke pieces. Please let us know.

Thank you

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am curious about this too. I looked at the website today and it seems to say all of the right things. However, I just can't figure out how they could make suits like they say, with good fabrics, starting at $600 or less. It is a little scant on information. I don't see any way to browse fabrics, styles, or even a gallery of past pieces.

I'd almost pull the trigger just because of the price, but my bullshot detector just won't let me. Any objective opinions out there on Astor & Black?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Astor and Black is a company founded in Columbus OH by David Schottenstein - one of the young Schottenstein heirs (Value City, Schottensteins, etc). There was a write up in one of the local papers some time ago. I do no know the quality. I know they have been getting a lot of professional sports players in Ohio to wear their suits. The clothes are made in Hong Kong. The one thing that I thought was weird was how the founder chose the name. He said the name was chosen because it "sounded English" or something. There is no Mr. Astor or Mr. Black. Not that it matters I guess, people choose business names as a result of a variety of reasons. But I just thought his reason was cheesy.

Here is the article from the Columbus Dispatch:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Astor and Black is a company founded in Columbus OH by David Schottenstein - one of the young Schottenstein heirs (Value City, Schottensteins, etc). There was a write up in one of the local papers some time ago. I do no know the quality. I know they have been getting a lot of professional sports players in Ohio to wear their suits. The clothes are made in Hong Kong. The one thing that I thought was weird was how the founder chose the name. He said the name was chosen because it "sounded English" or something. There is no Mr. Astor or Mr. Black. Not that it matters I guess, people choose business names as a result of a variety of reasons. But I just thought his reason was cheesy.

Here is the article from the Columbus Dispatch:
People make up names for companies all the time. Jos. A. Bank was started by a Jewish man in the south, and named it that so it didn't sound "Jewish."

·
Registered
647 Posts
People make up names for companies all the time. Jos. A. Bank was started by a Jewish man in the south, and named it that so it didn't sound "Jewish."
Agreed. Astor and Black is an Anglican sounding name. Certainly more so than Schottenstein! Think Gieves & Hawkes, Anderson & Sheppard, Henry Poole. The website talks about handwork and details like the surgeons cuffs, while of course glossing over the location of the tailors and such.

How many fittings do they do? Is a unique pattern made for me or is it really more MTM than bespoke?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am also curious about the fabric selection, do the fabrics come from the newest bunches from Scabal etc in their "official" books, or just on a swatch card that says astor and black, but may come with a 20 yr. old looking Scabal/zegna label in the jacket. They may be buying end lots/faking fabrics to save costs.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Agreed. Astor and Black is an Anglican sounding name. Certainly more so than Schottenstein! Think Gieves & Hawkes, Anderson & Sheppard, Henry Poole. The website talks about handwork and details like the surgeons cuffs, while of course glossing over the location of the tailors and such.

How many fittings do they do? Is a unique pattern made for me or is it really more MTM than bespoke?
English perhaps but why necessarily Anglican?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have purchased two suits from Astor and Black, both for $600 a piece the (Canali Fabric option). I am not an employee of the company; however, I personally know one of salesmen.
The suits themselves are my best fitting suits by far, and I tend to favor them over the other options in my ever expanding closet. I have gotten lots of compliments on them and for the price I do think it’s well worth the deal. Though I do recommend them and will probably sometime in the future use them again, you should be mindful of a couple of things. 1. This goes for all custom clothing, it’s very hard to picture a suit from a little fabric swatch, so one must be careful with that. 2 My first suit I wasn’t initially happy with the tailoring done on it, it seemed that inside jacket pockets had no button closure and the lining wasn’t sewn on very well, there were some loose threads on and around the sleeves. Also, as I do pay attention to detail, I noticed my name which is sewn onto the inside of the suit was a little crooked. Most of these issues were easily adjusted by my local tailor, and I seem to remember being credited the total cost of the aforementioned adjustments on my second suit which was more sturdily put together. Both suit wear very nicely and are probably favorite suits in my closet of CK and Jones NY suits.

They do use horn buttons; they are fully canvassed, whether they are made by machine or hand I wouldn’t be able to tell. I can’t say that these are better or of the same quality then a Canali or Zenga suit but I do feel they are a nice cheaper alternative to them.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have purchased two suits from Astor and Black, both for $600 a piece the (Canali Fabric option). I am not an employee of the company; however, I personally know one of salesmen.

They do use horn buttons; they are fully canvassed, whether they are made by machine or hand I wouldn't be able to tell. I can't say that these are better or of the same quality then a Canali or Zenga suit but I do feel they are a nice cheaper alternative to them.

Hope this helps,
What about the purchasing/fitting experience? How did you pick out the fabrics? What was the selection like, did they have books or leftover swatches? How many fittings were there? Were you able to specify everything, like widths of lapels and such, or were they made from preexisting patterns? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What about the purchasing/fitting experience? How did you pick out the fabrics? What was the selection like, did they have books or leftover swatches? How many fittings were there? Were you able to specify everything, like widths of lapels and such, or were they made from preexisting patterns? Inquiring minds want to know.
The salesman came over to my apt. in NYC and measured everything, the jacket fits perfectly, the pants are a little baggier then i would have liked, but still pretty accurate. He came over with a bunch of swatch books ( the selection was pretty extensive, lots of choices patterns, etc.) and explained the various options that would be available to me. There was one fitting, I asked him to come over again for a second one, he did, but it was a long time after i had gotten my suit, and I think the consensus was that they would pay for these alterations by crediting whatever it was (from local tailor) on my next order. Regarding fit and other aesthetics, you can specify what you'd like.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The salesman came over to my apt. in NYC and measured everything, the jacket fits perfectly, the pants are a little baggier then i would have liked, but still pretty accurate. He came over with a bunch of swatch books ( the selection was pretty extensive, lots of choices patterns, etc.) and explained the various options that would be available to me. There was one fitting, I asked him to come over again for a second one, he did, but it was a long time after i had gotten my suit, and I think the consensus was that they would pay for these alterations by crediting whatever it was (from local tailor) on my next order. Regarding fit and other aesthetics, you can specify what you'd like.
I take it by "one fitting" you actually mean a measurement. It doesn't sound like they did any fittings while the suit was under construction, as one would expect of a bespoke garment. Definitely MTM, although the fact that he had actual books of fabrics is some consolation. I'm considering having a very basic A&B suit made and trying to document the whole process. Probably not in the near future, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Search for posts by mysharona in 'What are you wearing today?'
I was waiting for that! While I am not an employee, I was very pleased with the value of my shirts and suit and plug A&B when an opportunity arises. I think the translation of the measurements to the finished product have a good bit to do with the skill of the A&B rep. My suit was returned to me after 2 fittings: an initial measurement, and then another set of measurements 2-3 weeks later to make sure nothing needed to be changed prior to completion. The process is more MTM, although an existing suit is not being altered to your measurements: the suit is made precisely based on customer's specifications regarding cut, fabric, lapel style, vent location, lining, etc. More semi-bespoke, I guess. The fabrics are lovely as is the selection of fabric mills. From my experience with Brioni garments, the fabric A&B labels Scabal is genuinely Scabal. A minor alteration was needed on my jacket, and since we use the same tailor, I dropped off my jacket and my rep picked it up, paid for the alteration and brought the jacket to me at my business the day the adjustment was complete.

·
Registered
290 Posts
As it so happens, I am a Columbus-area dweller. I was exposed to "Astor and Black" at the Bentley Continental GT "Speed" preview. I mention them briefly in my review of the event, although not by name:

https://www.speedsportlife.com/2007...e-candy-help-to-pimp-a-very-polished-phaeton/

It's overseas tailoring, supposedly Hong Kong but also possibly China.

I'd advocate you skip their products solely on the basis of inauthenticity. Astor and Black are imaginary, and the whole concept is kind of humiliating. It's also hilariously reminiscent of the Simpsons' "Flaming Moe" episode:

"I work for Tipsy McStagger's good time drinking and eating emporium."

"Oh, yeah? Hey, what's Mr. McStagger really like?"

"Tipsy McStagger is just a composite of other successful logos."

"You tell him for me that he makes one great mozzarella stick."

"(Pause) Yes, I will."

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
As it so happens, I am a Columbus-area dweller. I was exposed to "Astor and Black" at the Bentley Continental GT "Speed" preview. I mention them briefly in my review of the event, although not by name:

https://www.speedsportlife.com/2007...e-candy-help-to-pimp-a-very-polished-phaeton/

It's overseas tailoring, supposedly Hong Kong but also possibly China.

I'd advocate you skip their products solely on the basis of inauthenticity. Astor and Black are imaginary, and the whole concept is kind of humiliating. It's also hilariously reminiscent of the Simpsons' "Flaming Moe" episode:

"I work for Tipsy McStagger's good time drinking and eating emporium."

"Oh, yeah? Hey, what's Mr. McStagger really like?"

"Tipsy McStagger is just a composite of other successful logos."

"You tell him for me that he makes one great mozzarella stick."

"(Pause) Yes, I will."
How are they inauthentic?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.