Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a couple of good sport jackets for causual wear (to work and elsewhere). I am a slim guy (5'10" and 150 lbs) and wear a size 38R. I need some help with jacket choices - pattern, material and brand.

I am specifically looking for sacks, natural shoulder (and dual vents if possible). Apart from BB/J.Press, what would you guys recommend? I live in austin, so am not looking at tweed or the heavier materials .. so, what patterns do you think are the most versatile amongst the following?

1. Houndstooth
2. Glen-plaid
3. flannel-like (don't know the exact name)

Please feel free to post any other patterns that you think would be good. Links to specific jackets that you like would be great as well.

I don't know if this has been done before, but it would be fantastic to have a single thread where members post pics/links of thier favourite sports jackets. Might be useful for people like me who are looking for options :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Check out the silk/linen/wool blends available this time of year and on through the summer. For your climate they would be servicable year-round and if you get them dark enough they will look good in fall/winter as well as in the warm weather. I've seen them in glen plaids, houndstooth, herringbone and windowpane.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
STP was selling some unstructured/unpadded, quarter-lined dual vented Made in Italy 3/2 sacks from Bobby Jones. Wool/cashmere, so probably better for spring and fall than summer. Nice material.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When you say it will be worn "casually," what do you mean? Do you mean with slacks, or with jeans/chinos? I think you need to match the style and fabric according to how you answer the above. What about colors? Do you know your personal palate? The color of your coat will depend on your: eye color, hair color & skin tone. I point these issues out, only because I have been down this road before. It is very frustrating to buy something, wear it awhile only to discover it just isn't right,... You can avoid or minimize that by addressing the issues above.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say it will be worn "casually," what do you mean? Do you mean with slacks, or with jeans/chinos? I think you need to match the style and fabric according to how you answer the above. What about colors? Do you know your personal palate? The color of your coat will depend on your: eye color, hair color & skin tone. I point these issues out, only because I have been down this road before. It is very frustrating to buy something, wear it awhile only to discover it just isn't right,... You can avoid or minimize that by addressing the issues above.
Excellent comments. Thanks for posting these questions.

I don't wear jeans anymore - only khakis/chinos/cords (I am 27). By "casually", I mean with in the usual colors to places other than work; and maybe occasionally, to work as well.

My eyes and hair are both black. My skin is brown in color. I usually wear OCBDs from BB and sport shirts from Mercer/Lands End/LL Bean and t-shirts from Lands End. I am not averse to any color except purple/lavender and deep red/orange. I typically avoid wearing shirts in bright colors and striking patterns. All of my shirts have subdued colors and patterns on sport shirts are muted. Think Mercer/BB's colors and patterns and that will be pretty close to what I like.

My fabric choices, as I wrote, largely depend on where I live - and Texas is hot for a good part of the year. I wear 100% cotton most of the time, and some wool-cotton mix for the colder days. I avoid synthetic fabrics at alll costs.

I exercise regularly and have a slim, athletic build (almost 7" drop from chest to waist). I do own a couple of good blazers that I use a lot - one from BB (sack, 1818 navy blazer) and one from Press (sack, green blazer). These two get frequently worn but after spending some time at AAAC, I find that I could do better. However, I am finding it hard to choose from amongst the multitude of choices that are out there - also I am not sure if I should be getting 3/2 sack or a 2B darted for the sportscoat. I really like the 3/2 sack look (with a little fitting in waist area) the though - what Flusser calls the "updated american look" in 'Clothes and the man'. Darts are OK I guess, as long as they are not loud and scream their presence to whoever looks at my side.

Hope I explained my needs a little bit better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.