Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone.

What would be the proper lenght of a sport jacket arm? it should cover the beginning of your hand, middle of the wrist or a little above the wrist?

thans very much for your help

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
With your arms at your sides ....

and a shirt on that fits you well, you should show a 1/2" of cuff. Most people have one arm slightly longer, so you need to make sure your shirt arm is proprly adjusted. I wear my right arm shirt sleeve 1/2" longer than my left with the jacket sleeve adjusted to show 1/2" of cuff. Without your shirt being properly adjusted, you can't get your jacket at the correct length.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I just like saying "shoot the cuffs"...ala Paulie Walnuts! so I say 1/2 inch of cuffs...enough to shoot!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
first of all your shirt sleeves on all of your shirts should hit the same spot on your hand or wrist. that way no mater what shirt you are wearing when the jacket is fitted,all shirt and jacket combos you use will be correct. the amount of linen to show is what you prefer.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I suppose, since you are asking about sleeve length, you must mean "sport coat." I always get sidetracked into the bomber jacket mode when I see the term "jacket."

My standard, and that of my tailor, is just covering the wrist bone with the arm bent at a right angle and the forearm level with the floor. That should give you about 1/4" to 1/2" of shirt, depending on the shirt. Unless the shirt sleeve is clearly too short, adjusting the cuff button should get it to hang right, if it doesn't already.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I always go on the rule that you put your left index finger into the point on your right wrist precisely where it turns into the base of your thumb (you should just be able to feel the tendon right there). That little corner is where the jacket cuff should stop when your arms are hanging naturally (ie slightly forward) beside your hips.

It works for me. Not too long not too short. May not work for everyone tho.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks a lot for the answers. Now I should find a goog tailor. The thing is I bought a few nice sport coats and shirts and in the past I had bad experiences when they tailor sleeves in the stores, bad work way different from the manufacture finish. So I guess I need to fing a good tailor.

Best regards

·
Registered
199 Posts
Length does matter: most men wear sleeves that are far too long.

However, few men pay attention to the width of the sleeve. I like to see fullness in the upper arms, with the sleeve tapering down from the elbow. I find that a narrow sleeve, combined with a little waist-suppression, creates a more attractive (and slimming) silhouette.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Thanks for the answers

An what should be the lenght of the shirt? a little after the wrist bone or more into the beginning of the hand?

thanks very much for your help
Well, that's all relative to the coat sleeve(s), isn't it? Just get the job done on the coat sleeves first, and then try on the shirts you will wear with it. Do they show !/4" to 1/2" below the coat sleeve? Then you are in business and do nothing. Do they stop too short? Then buy longer length sleeves or reset the shirt cuff button so that the cuffs open wider and can ride further down the flare of your hand. Do they extend too far? Then reset the shirt cuff button so that the cuff closes more tightly, and it will they be stopped by the flare of the hand (hopefully) at the right length to show the requisite margin of shirt cuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.