Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love argyle socks because they're a colorful accent with appropriate outfits to compliment my largely traditional attire. Hate 'em because physical infirmities have caused me to walk funny. (No, not that kind of funny!) The result is twisted argyles to go with my twisted personality.

My habitual loafers make it worse. Lace-ups are sometimes not too bad. I've worn ankle socks for casual wear for some years and will try switching to OTC socks and see what that does.

Does anyone else encounter this? Any ideas beyond getting a new body that will fix the problem?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've just been through the search for reasonably priced OTC argyle. There are many options if you're willing to spring $30-$50/pair. That was too steep for me, so I ordered some from sockbroker.com. I'll let you know how they are when they arrive. Unfortunately, their OTC color choices are limited. If anyone has other inexpensive sources, please share.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My argyle socks will be twisted only if I put them on carelessly. I always take the time to make sure my argyles, or clocks, are proper. You might want to try, oh, what are they called, sock garters. Garters not only keep one's socks up, they help keep your socks in place in the horizontal way!

By the way, not to derail the thread, but are black and red argyle socks appropriate wear with black shoes and a navy suit?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have some JAB argyles that I like wearing. I think I got them on the 50% off day. I wear them with jeans and khakis but not with suits. They are fairly thin, like dress socks. I have had some hand blocked argyles in the past that had little holes where the diamonds came together. I didn't like them very much. The JABs are also OTC. Except for cotton crews for the gym, I have gone to all OTC. Everything else seems to slide down during the day and these don't.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
My argyle socks will be twisted only if I put them on carelessly. I always take the time to make sure my argyles, or clocks, are proper. You might want to try, oh, what are they called, sock garters. Garters not only keep one's socks up, they help keep your socks in place in the horizontal way!

By the way, not to derail the thread, but are black and red argyle socks appropriate wear with black shoes and a navy suit?
Never wear Argyle socks with a suit imho. I would wear argyles more casually, odd trousers, cottn trousers, but not a suit.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've recently re-discovered argyle socks. I wear 'em with jeans. I've found a good deal on some at a local Macy's...I cannot recall how much exactly but three pair came to around $12. These were Club Room (Macy's house brand I believe). I was surprised since they weren't marked on sale. This was about a month ago so I doubt the sale is still on. After several washings, they are holding up quite well.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Okay, I'll keep that in mind should I be tempted to do buy some. I just thought the colors of black and red would harmonize with a navy suit and black shoes. The red being the accent. Do you think the look is fashion forward or just a bad matching of patterns?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've just been through the search for reasonably priced OTC argyle. There are many options if you're willing to spring $30-$50/pair. That was too steep for me, so I ordered some from sockbroker.com. I'll let you know how they are when they arrive. Unfortunately, their OTC color choices are limited. If anyone has other inexpensive sources, please share.
https://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=82674

Also, Neiman Marcus Last Call outlets store have OTC Panterella socks for $12.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.