Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm in a philosophical mood today. ;)

Please, gentlemen, please think about this for a few moments before responding.

There seems to be a certain pride, no more, somewhat of a status around here because we dress better and care more about clothes than, I would say, about 95% of the male population.

We constantly make fun of others who don't share an interest in fine clothing. You know, the ones that wouldn't know a Blucher from Frau Blucher and think a dart is used to play a game at an English Pub. I know it's "all in fun," but beneath all humor lies some truth.

So I ask you this: don't we at times, think we're a little bit better than our fellow man because we think we dress "better" than him?

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
456 Posts
So I ask you this: don't we at times, think we're a little bit better than our fellow man because we think we dress "better" than him?
The one thing that has long annoyed me about AAAC and SF. I couldn't honestly care less what people around me wear anymore. I have always dressed for myself, not others.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It would be so much easier if I had no sense of what was 'right' and 'good'. I think having simple tastes and being satisfied with dockers, cheap shoes, and worn out polo shirts like many of my contemporaries might be great. Just can't do it. I've tried. I'm just more comfortable wearing what I know is quality clothing, that fits right. So, in an answer to your question, I don't feel I'm superior to them, I wear what I wear because doing anything else makes me feel inferior.
[email protected]

·
Registered
410 Posts
+1 on I dress for myself. People I work with notice. After a while they ask me to help them with their wardrobes, which is the ultimate compliment.

If someone doesn't care about their wardrobe, it is no big deal to me. I try to find the good in everyone. I know many people who are smarter than I am, earn more, and dress badly. What I try to do is find a common ground where we can converse, become friendly and grow a relationship.

Clothes don't make the man, but they sure can make one look a hell of a lot better. After the first impression is made, it is what is on the inside that counts. You can put lipstick on a pig... Need anyone say more?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, I do feel elitist. I don't have a problem with it - I'm not going up to people on the street saying "hey, you look like ****"

I always notice what everyone around me is wearing - I don't know how to pretend that I am in a bubble and there is no one else around me.

I work in a place where we all notice each other and most of us care about clothes and talk about them. I enjoy that. It is one of the reasons I love to work where I do, because it is formal and everyone takes pride in their appearance (amongst everything else of course).

·
Registered
103 Posts
You know this works both ways. There are a lot of people out there who actually ridicule guys like us who are so into men's fashion and clothes. I've been called all sorts of things by guys and girls who think men are only manly if they wear nothing other than wide-leg jeans, big clunky shoes, and boxy dark blazers from Banana Republic.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I dress for myself and my wife and try to set a proper example for my children and grand children. Certainly, I don't feel I'm better than anyone else, regardless of how they may be dressed. Though there have been moments when I've seen acquaintances knowingly dress below expectations and below their capability, simply to make a statement and thought...it would be nice if they could keep their "statements" to themselves. Now, should my children fail to follow my "good" sartorial example, I will simply disinherit them! ;)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I am elitist about many things, clothing being just one of them. However, I am a polite person, and therefore I am not loud or demonstrative about this sartorial elitism, except insofar as I try to dress well myself. People tell me that I do so in a friendly spirit, which pleases me, because that is the intent.

Dressing well does not equate directly in my mind with dressing expensively, although I certainly have an appreciation for expensive things and enjoy them when I can own them (which, given an ordinary salary, is not that often). The clothing elitism at StyleForum seems to be to be all about the dinero and the labels, whereas here it is more about the achievement of individual style using many methods, not just high income. For that reason, I do like posting here better.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh no. Not another 5 page "elitist" thread again.
Sorry--I wasn't aware that this issue had been covered before. But given the amount of people who have responded so quickly, it appears as if it is a topic people want to talk about again... :icon_smile_wink:

--Chase

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know that I'm no better than the next man. But, I know that I can do better so, why not? Besides, I'm a Christian and I believe that where the Bible says to always do things to the best of your ability, it meant dressing too :).

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I enjoy dressing well, but have no delusions that this makes me better than others when I do it.

I wish others would wear dress clothing more often, but I do not control the universe and if I did, clothing would be rather far down on the list of things to correct.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
The one thing that has long annoyed me about AAAC and SF. I couldn't honestly care less what people around me wear anymore. I have always dressed for myself, not others.
+1

I dress for myself and my wife and try to set a proper example for my children and grand children. Certainly, I don't feel I'm better than anyone else, regardless of how they may be dressed. Though there have been moments when I've seen acquaintances knowingly dress below expectations and below their capability, simply to make a statement and thought...it would be nice if they could keep their "statements" to themselves. Now, should my children fail to follow my "good" sartorial example, I will simply disinherit them! ;)
+10

·
Registered
493 Posts
Being a man of modest means, I strive to dress as elegantly as I can within my capability. I have no doubt that had I the wherewithal to afford bespoke clothing of any kind, my presentation would improve but that has to remain in my dreams since putting my kids through college is more important to me than taking kicking my sartorial up that many notches higher.

I have no interest in looking down on anyone who dresses "worse" or differently than I do. Einstein dressed worse than I do without a doubt. I firmly believe that on any given day, I am more elegantly attired than Steve Jobs, Bill Gates or certainly Paul Allen (I see him on the sidelines of the Portland Trailblazers regularly). But I can certainly state that I have done less for human civilization than any of the aforementioned gentlemen, so who am I to look down up on them? Live and let live, I say. I think the world can stand for less judgmental people.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am elitist about many things, clothing being just one of them. However, I am a polite person, and therefore I am not loud or demonstrative about this sartorial elitism, except insofar as I try to dress well myself. People tell me that I do so in a friendly spirit, which pleases me, because that is the intent.

Dressing well does not equate directly in my mind with dressing expensively, although I certainly have an appreciation for expensive things and enjoy them when I can own them (which, given an ordinary salary, is not that often).
I think the distinctions made here are important, and they are ones I had to make with my girlfriend, who was not so understanding of my love of the sartorial arts. It depends on how you do it, and what it is in your mind. I come from a lower middle class family, so I'm not going to look down on someone because they don't own a dozen immaculately-tailored BB suits.

I can, however, appreciate the quality of a nice suit. There are people that swear by certain labels, and for good reason-- quality. But there are other people who wear a certain label (especially if the logo is displayed) as a status symbol, looking down their nose at people who don't wear said label (either because they don't have the same "refined taste" or because they can't afford it).

However, despite these things, I believe there are things members, in general on this board, believe in-- things that are not elitist. Such as:
1) Anyone can afford at least one suit. Within higher-end brands, there are lower-end sub-brands; JC Penney's and even Target sell suits.
2) Tailoring is relatively inexpensive, and therefore, there is no reason to not have your suit actually fit you properly.
3) People have different levels of formality in their style and prefer different materials. Some people like jeans, some prefer chinos. It's just personal preference. Despite differing preferences for material and how things are supposed to fit, clothing actually does come in different sizes, and a man, who should wear a size small, is wearing a tent-like size large, it looks awful.
4) Personal appearance does matter, and a person should take enough pride in his appearance to keep his wardrobe in a level of upkeep commensurate with his level of income. If you can afford to replace a pair of pants that are falling apart, you should.
5) Many members prefer the standards of dress of previous eras, namely because being "dressed up" by today's standards (blazers and above in formality) was the norm rather than the exception. While we prefer those standards to today's, we also acknowledge that it's not how things are, though we will dress according to our personal standard, looking good for ourselves, not to look down on everyone else.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Poets use words, musicians, music, and while Le Petomane had other talents, the best among us are artists who use dress.
That hits it pretty good for me. I have to add that I don't feel that I'm an elitist as I'm always happy to share my knowledge on the topic and guide people if they ask.

I feel that I'm setting an example and standards.

As for Le Petomine, there was a hero indeed. Especialy after a bowl of good chili.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.