Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was watching one of many news stories on the worldwide economic crisis. One commentator noted a increase in nationalism and protectionalism.
It struck home. This election saw the demise of one of my oldest friendships. I called a friend on a rather nasty Obama joke. He pulls his voting lever on Republican candidates with more spasmodic jerking than Doctor Strangelove. He knows I'm independant, vote for Nader. Yet he got angry when I made this one judgement call.

My Nephew and his now wife don't speak to me. Her family are local democratic bigwigs . I commented on Gore's ownership of Occidental Oil stock and my support for Nader. This was after she brought up politics at the Thanksgiving dinner. I first told her it wasn't a fit subject at the table. She insisted and got GREEN Party passed with her salad greens.

I recently attended another friend's Chabbad weddding. I even went to the ( for me) fun trouble of insuring my clothing was of proper unblended materials. I had a great time, ate to much food, danced and was one of 4 guys who lifted my friend in his chair. They have a new Rabbi. He finally figured out I was orthodox, but not jewish Orthodox. I talked in passing I would really like to flesh out my already decent knowledge of Judaism. The mother religion of my own should be understood,right? The icy reply handed my head back to me on a platter. I notice a cahnged atmosphere when I talk to my nieghbors walking by.

Today, I was driving home, freeway near empty. From nowhere a woman in a Toyota just like mine, black not silver almost nailed me cutting over from nowhere, talking on her earphones. I had to do some real driving for a moment. She gave me the finger, not one other car in sight.

I never bought the 'melting pot' idea. We are, or were a big stew with lots of delicious lumpy things influencing each other.Now I feel like America has become a TV dinner, to be microwaved and the packaging wieghing as much as the product and often better quality, segregated by label and kept frozen until use.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I was watching one of many news stories on the worldwide economic crisis. One commentator noted a increase in nationalism and protectionalism.
It struck home. This election saw the demise of one of my oldest friendships. I called a friend on a rather nasty Obama joke. He pulls his voting lever on Republican candidates with more spasmodic jerking than Doctor Strangelove. He knows I'm independant, vote for Nader. Yet he got angry when I made this one judgement call.

My Nephew and his now wife don't speak to me. Her family are local democratic bigwigs . I commented on Gore's ownership of Occidental Oil stock and my support for Nader. This was after she brought up politics at the Thanksgiving dinner. I first told her it wasn't a fit subject at the table. She insisted and got GREEN Party passed with her salad greens.

I recently attended another friend's Chabbad weddding. I even went to the ( for me) fun trouble of insuring my clothing was of proper unblended materials. I had a great time, ate to much food, danced and was one of 4 guys who lifted my friend in his chair. They have a new Rabbi. He finally figured out I was orthodox, but not jewish Orthodox. I talked in passing I would really like to flesh out my already decent knowledge of Judaism. The mother religion of my own should be understood,right? The icy reply handed my head back to me on a platter. I notice a cahnged atmosphere when I talk to my nieghbors walking by.

Today, I was driving home, freeway near empty. From nowhere a woman in a Toyota just like mine, black not silver almost nailed me cutting over from nowhere, talking on her earphones. I had to do some real driving for a moment. She gave me the finger, not one other car in sight.

I never bought the 'melting pot' idea. We are, or were a big stew with lots of delicious lumpy things influencing each other.Now I feel like America has become a TV dinner, to be microwaved and the packaging wieghing as much as the product and often better quality, segregated by label and kept frozen until use.
I agree and welcome back.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
If we do get into nationalism and protectionism as you note Kav we will have the 1930s all over again. Commentators say it was that not the Wall Street crash ( though it lead to it) that caused the Great Depression. Please God not again!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Economic protectionism, the return of high tariffs et al would be disastrous, but all the crazy ideas seem to be going in the direction of unified guaranteeing of transactions or nationalization of companies (in whole or in part (govts taking equity positions in banks as a case in point (UK))), I haven't heard anything in the way of raise the drawbridge.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I simply do not understand the animosity, downright hatred in some cases, that I see in this country over things like politics and religion. John Kennedy and Richard Nixon were political rivals, but personal friends. Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill were political rivals, but liked and respected each other on a personal level. Heck, Mary Matalin and James Carville are about as fierce political rivals as there are but they are married to each other.

I think more folks should look at the examples set by these folks and at least make an attempt to separate issues such as politics and religion from interpersonal relationships. Having different ideas about things (even clothing :icon_smile_big:) should not lead to animosity.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
In regard to your personal experiences, it could be that many of us have hit a brick wall when trying to interact with others. People want their own ideas, ideology or what ever confirmed by everyone around them. Of course that does not always work out as they expect.
To understand a melting pot one has to be familiar with metals and how they sometimes blend and sometimes repel each other. They can share the same pot but the very heat that would allow them to blend also allows them to segregate. That is fine if you are aware that not everything must blend.
Applying that to the theory of a homogeneous society we find that if all of the parts blend and lose any distinction from each other you can either have one component which domenates all others or have a hopelessly bland mix or on ocasion all of the parts work togeather. Don't count on the later unless you plan for this result.
The contention of a melting pot is what makes it all worthwhile. We can share the same pot, or society, but the various blends and contentions at work as we interact is as it should be. Sometimes we should work togeather but it is when we have differences that interesting things happen. New ideas are formed, new compromises reached and on occasion the pot boils over and we have to battle it out for control of the pot.
After all of this the goal is pretty simple. We should realize that we can not be homogeneous nor should we ever strive to this goal. Be different, share new ideas , show you can be a separate entity but still have a place in society. Never let anyone shout you down (unless their words betray their own foolishness.)That is a melting pot and that is how it should be. No, no need to break up if we understand how it should work.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I simply do not understand the animosity, downright hatred in some cases, that I see in this country over things like politics and religion. John Kennedy and Richard Nixon were political rivals, but personal friends. Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill were political rivals, but liked and respected each other on a personal level. Heck, Mary Matalin and James Carville are about as fierce political rivals as there are but they are married to each other.

I think more folks should look at the examples set by these folks and at least make an attempt to separate issues such as politics and religion from interpersonal relationships. Having different ideas about things (even clothing :icon_smile_big:) should not lead to animosity.

Cruiser
I think that is a very good point, you may have different opinions, but still respect each other.

I was a Fulbright grantee in the US in 82-83 and I remember the US as a friendly and open country.:icon_smile:

From what I hear in the news the US seems to be more polarized today, both politically and economically..

But I may be wrong...

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Good golly, I have missed those homespun homilies! Actually, I see it as life being a lot like participation in Internet fora...sh*t happens, events occur and then fade into memory, and people come and go...and come again. This sense of breaking up, while chillingly real at the moment, so to shall pass and life goes on. Welcome back Kav...you were missed by many! :)

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thankyou all. I did not leave totally of my own will. I felt a fatique and malaise that coincided with a wonderfull V.A. doctor (and most are) with the guts to take a 25 cent piece circle cut into my right parietal skull and remove an early example of unpopular chinese exports.
The advances in brain trauma care from the Iraq war are one of the few, very expensive advances we have gained.
It was a very Kafkaesq experience. I was bedded next to a guy of my own generation. He used to wake up at night drymouthed and I'd roll over and hold his glass. He would talk for an hour in the darkness. " Chris, you up? ( yes) Where did it go? Where did WHAT go? Our lives man. I mean, look at all these kids in here! That used to be us. Where did our lives go?" And I replied something like "Our lives went where all lives go. And we are still those young kids, maybe younger. And in each of them with any luck are you and me today." And he said "oh, O.K." and fall asleep. And I'd lie awake trying to figure out what in the hell I had just said?
And about then our RN would walk by, this solid black lady named Rose. And she'd scold me " Kav, you should be sleeping hon, are you O.K.? " And I'd tell her what was going on in the bed next to me and she'd just smile and pat my shoulder.
The day of release and being driven down the long driveway every V.A. seems to have I had to blink.
I swear I saw my P 61 nightfighter uncle, korean war navy uncle and WW1 AND 2 grandfather standing at the bustop.
Maybe I need the other side trephanated too.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Welcome back

Kav

Welcome back battle buddy and shipmate! Keep spirits up my friend.
Did not know about the brain trauma my friend.
Put this behind you, which I feel you have and are trying.
Miss you here. I miss you my friend.
I KAV, understand you. I enjoy your writings, and stories.
They are wonderful!
God speed KAV

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Economic protectionism, the return of high tariffs et al would be disastrous, but all the crazy ideas seem to be going in the direction of unified guaranteeing of transactions or nationalization of companies (in whole or in part (govts taking equity positions in banks as a case in point (UK))), I haven't heard anything in the way of raise the drawbridge.
I agree.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The phrase de jure is "salad bowl." Each ethnic group retaining its separate identity but getting along famously with all the other separate ethnic groups as they celebrate their diversity together. After all, it works great in Canada, Switzerland, the former Yugoslavia, and the former Soviet empire, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.