Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First pair of nice shoes, I have never considered width in the past when purchasing shoes. These are AE 10.5 C. The salesman told me these were the right fit, but here are two pictures of how they look when laced up. I have worn then for only a few minutes.

They way they split towards the top looks strange to me. Is this how they are supposed to look? Are the laces put in properly?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
First pair of nice shoes, I have never considered width in the past when purchasing shoes. These are AE 10.5 C. The salesman told me these were the right fit, but here are two pictures of how they look when laced up. I have worn then for only a few minutes.

They way they split towards the top looks strange to me. Is this how they are supposed to look? Are the laces put in properly?
Only you can tell if the shoes are too tight through the foot. RTW oxfords pretty much never close entirely, but these do look as if they spread too much. People with a high instep, and you appear to have one, usually have this sort of issue. A size that allowed you to close the shoe more, might not fit you through your foot. A different oxford might have less of a problem. Bluchers often are the best solution for those with a truly high instep, and monk straps work too.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I am inclined to agree with 12gofas and ctt, moving up to a D width would provide you with a better fit and would more properly allow for the swelling that occurs in our feet later in the day, as we are wearing our shoes.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Answer these two questions for yourself:

1. Did the salesman properly measure my foot on a Brannock device, while I was standing?

2. Is the shoe comfortable or does it feel too tight?

How it feels is most important. You won't wear shoes that make your feet hurt.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He didn't measure my foot, he just asked me my shoe size and brought these and a smaller size out. I would guess that I have more flat feet than feet with a high arch. Thanks for the opinions, next time I am in town I will stop back in the store to try on the Ds.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Based on the picture, I don't thing a wider width is going to help much. That's mostly going to increase the width across the ball of your foot. Is the length right and the shoe comfortable on the "pinky" of your feet? If so, this may just be a bad last for your particular arch and you may need to try a different style or brand. I wouldn't buy a shoe that's too big just to get the laces closed.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
...next time I am in town I will stop back in the store to try on the Ds.
Do just that. And the gent that said to consider the "pinky" is spot on. It's all about the comfort of your feet and heels. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I found out the original store didn't have the 10.5 D, which was why they kept suggesting other sizes. Picked up a 10.5 C originally, exchanged for a 10 D, and finally (when in a different store) exchanged for the 10.5 D, which seems to fit perfectly.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The width really has nothing to do with how they lace. AE in my experience tend to open quite a bit where they lace. It is a function of the last, not the proper/improper width.

Does the shoe fit properly across the wide part of your foot? Does it feel too contricted?

You can try the D but you may find that the shoe is too loose across the wide part of your foot. I like my shoes too fit snugly.

My solution would be to look at a black captoe from a different maker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.