Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone :)

First post here. Wanted some advice on whether these shoes are okay to wear with a suit or are they not very professional?

I was thinking about wearing them for my interview tomorrow for a change. I've been wearing another pair with leather soles and my feet start to hurt by the end of the day after walking a lot.

https://www.endless.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Merano-Slip-on/dp/B000H19SBE

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I would never wear a slip on shoe with a suit, even a nice pair of tassel loafers look off to me.

It goes without saying that the shoes in that picture, with their thick rubber soles and casual styling are even more inappropriate imo.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Although I am a slip-on and suit guy (Alden tassels or AE grayson), I can't go with this look. OTOH, the doc who put me on to AE will wear the rubber tread-bottom in icy or wet weather only, as he took a bad slip'n'fall in the ER and doesn't want to deal with rubbers or changing to duck shoes like I do.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Professional suit? No. Go with lace ups, preferably Oxfords.

If you are just wandering around in a suit these might be ok, but they are pretty casual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the quick replies :)

That's what I thought too, but with all the walking in the snow/ice during tours of the facilities, I was tempted to put something on with more traction and comfort. I'll stick with my oxfords and hope I don't slip!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi Everyone :)

First post here. Wanted some advice on whether these shoes are okay to wear with a suit or are they not very professional?

I was thinking about wearing them for my interview tomorrow for a change. I've been wearing another pair with leather soles and my feet start to hurt by the end of the day after walking a lot.

https://www.endless.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Merano-Slip-on/dp/B000H19SBE
No. For an interview....absolutely not. If you want a pair of AE shoes and want to wear them for an interview, then buy a pair of Park Avenues.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
No.

AE makes a number of more formal-appearing shoes that would be more appropriate for wear with a suit. It's an interview, I'd live with day of discomfort if the job was worth it. If you have more time to plan in advance, AE's with leather soles, well fitted and once broken-in, can be supremely comfortable.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I wouldn't. Moccasins with clunky rubber soles are more for casual wear. For a suit, you probably want to go with lace-ups and either leather soles or, if you insist on rubber, something with a little less of the "hiking boot" look.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't like that shoe but you can still get a rubber sole AE shoe with laces. I have seen them at a local Century 21 discount store in the $150-$180 range. I have considered purchasing them but prefer to increase my leather sole collection a little more. But these would make great shoes for the rain while providing you with good traction.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Those shoes are not fit to wear at all, much less with a suit. I would have to think long and hard to remember the last time I saw footwear so hideous, since I don't tend to shop for shoes at mainstream department stores anymore. Do yourself a favor, and do not buy those shoes. If you are really looking for something that would work with a suit and that would be inexpensive, buy yourself an inexpensive cap toe or wingtip. Banana Republic sells both styles for under $200.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.