Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sirs,
I recently purchased a pair of BB Alden-made tassels off of eBay (which have not yet arrived). I have not yet received them, but I have been looking on AAF for a while and can't get any concrete answers. They don't claim to be shell. For those of you who are Alden professionals, could you give me your two cents? While I have no expectations, and for what I paid for them, they are still a very good deal if they are calfskin. I know little to nothing about Alden-made cordovan shoes, but I do know the creasing is key. Maybe there's some visual clue that's very obvious- I don't know.

Pictures:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
The stitching around the collar of the shoes, suggests to me that the shoes are calfskin. Also, while there is not much creasing on the tops of the shoes, there does appear to be some evidence of the micro-creases, that appear in calfskin shoes, on the throat of the right shoe.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
How about posting a pic once you receive them and throw a good shine on them.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I guess: calf - due to the wrinkles I think I see near the pinkie-toe area of the right shoe (front-most) in the top picture. Also, the color looks more like calf to me.

It will be interesting to hear the final verdict after you take delivery!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all for your responses- I too haven't ever seen this much variation in responses. However, I guess that's the same problem I had when I was looking at them on eBay. I'm thinking calf- LeatherSOUL has lots of experience on this front, so I'll defer to him.

Just couple more questions, though. Can I call Alden when I recieve the shoes and give them the model number, and then they'll tell me the content? Or do I call Brooks? Or do I ask you?

Also, how should I go about getting them repaired (assuming they're well worn)... If they're calf, should I Restore them, or should I just live and let live (and wait for a Brooks sale on Cordovan). Does Alden restore the BB shoes?

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you post some better pictures, specifically close ups of the creasing, I am sure I, or someone else here, can tell you. Alden should be able to restore them. I think it is $95. Depending on the condition, it may be worth it. That is up to you. Calf tassel loafers come around often on eBay, so you may not want to spend the money. However, if you like them and decide they are worth investing the $95, then do it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.