Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Interesting! I hadn't noted that. What do you make of it?

For me, I find flat laces offer a dressier, more elegant appearance. So I think they suit these elegantly shapely shoes particularly well.
I agree - which got me wondering why they're somewhat less common elsewhere. I was supplied round laces on EG, C&J (Peal), AS (Peal), etc. though I have flat laces on both Carmina and Meermin.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Mr. Okuyama says I am not worthy of a Masaru Okuyama shoe.
Slightly off-topic but continuing the theme, yesterday in the highly recommendable book "Everything is Bullsh!t", I read about how Daniel Radcliffe (from "Harry Potter") wanted to buy a work of art by someone called Jim Hodges. The dealer refused to sell him the work because he was "waiting for a more prestigious collector". (Radcliffe was able to buy the work only after the artist had personally intervened.)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
There's something about quality and crafmanship that transcends ones personal tastes.

It becomes art. People who care about such things notice and appreciate despite a thing not necessarily appealing to their taste.
I was discussing art vs. craft with a theatre critic friend a few days ago after I'd been to the NY Museum of Art and Design, and I said that craft requires basic skill and technique but adheres to a template, while art requires greater skill/technique and creativity. Hence as a craftsman or woman develops both technique and creativity, they move from craft to art.

As a side issue, we went off to see the Stoppard play "Travesties" (strongly recommended, if you like Stoppard's show-off brilliance, which I do), and there were frequent delightful references to clothing and tailoring.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Game try, though. Double monks aren't a design I enjoy either, and it becomes little less awkward as a boot.
I find the basic double-monk shoe boring or unaesthetic but there are versions I like - e.g., the legendary Lobb Chapel, and my own pair of Ballys. I find that single monks give greater scope for acceptable originality and flair.

1 - 18 of 147 Posts