Men's Clothing Forums banner

Are second hand shoes worth buying?

5K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  JBierly 
#1 ·
See link and please give your opinion. Are they worth getting and having fully reconditioned?

#7 ·
I believe that second hand shoes, like used clothing can be a good deal. However, it takes knowledge, experience and some luck. My shoe collection is filled with second hand shoes, edward green, vass and Gaziano and Girling with a few others thrown in. Be patient, be particular and be willing to take some chances. Don't expect something for nothing very often. Better to pay more for a better shoe in better condition of you can. My suggestion is to start slow with quality older shoes made in America before 1980. These can oftentimes be had for cheap. This way your collection and knowledge will grow and mistakes will not be too costly.
As I no longer buy them I will give you (and everyone else) one hidden gem that I found to be diamonds for pennies.
Grenson Masterpiece for Paul Stuart's Choice.
Good luck.

#9 ·
Many folks are very happy with recycled shoes and I try to contribute to the process by regularly donating pairs of my spur of the moment purchasing decisions that have not been worn over extended periods of time to the Goodwill Store and various Thrift stores. However the pair featured in the OP are, as observed by SG 67, truly trashed. The vamps are not only deeply creased, but the leather on the one shoe is clearly cracked/torn. That seems a deal breaker to me! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.